WATER!!!

No matter how hard I try I can not drink my water I want for the day... I really can't drink much of anything. I try to force myself to drink but I feel sick to my stomach after.. What can I do to help get this water down???

Replies

• Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    I hate water,but it taste so much better after a hard workout in the heat. I also hydrate at least an hour before going into the
    heat. Another suggestion is to only drink water from huge glasses so you are taking in more than just one glass at a time. You have to change your mindset about water once you do water will become part of your workout.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    do you like other things that have a lot of water in them? I drink a lot of herbal teas, as long as they don't have caffeine, which dehydrates, I figure that counts. Certain foods, like water melons, also have a high water content, so you don't have to get all your water from just drinking it.
  • i work in an office and every day fill a big bottle with my water. If I dont drink the water by 5pm, I cant go home I tell myself. xx
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    I like to flavour my water with orange squash, and I keep it in the fridge so that it's cold and delicious. I also have a Brita filter which makes me more inclined to drink it as I know it won't taste like the crap that comes out of my taps! If I'm really struggling I try and have a glass with each meal, or I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. Or I just try and make sure I'm drinking a lot of liquid anyway, lemonade and green tea are my favourites.

It's ultimately something you have to work hard at doing if you don't like water, but if you do it enough it'll soon become second nature
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    I fill a 1L bottle twice a day and carry it around with me. It's amazing how fast it goes away when I can just take a sip whenever I feel a little thirsty.
  • I can drink coffee, but not so much in the summer :/ I try them flavor packet things & they help some, but I am just not a big drinker of anything really. I have a hard time finishing a can of diet pepsi, ugh, idk I guess practice makes perfect. I'll keep trying & thank you for they great ideas too!
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    I was having the same problem. The only time I could drink a lot of water was while exercising so I came up with a plan and it has worked!. I drink 16.9 oz of bottled water every 3 hours--by 10 am, by 1 pm, by 4 pm, by 7 pm and if needed by 10 pm (that's the minimum). That gives me at least 8 cups of water a day and usually I end up drinking more (I once drank 12 cups, the most I've ever had). Also, the water has to be cold/freezing. I don't do good with refrigerated or lukewarm water. I freeze several bottles and put 2 at a time on the counter to thaw. That way it's always cold just like I like it. :)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Iced decaf coffee? You don't have to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Most of your water intake comes from food. If you're having signs of dehydration then definitely up your fluid intake. It's recommended to get some fluid during exercise or when outside in the heat, but if your urine looks OK then don't worry about forcing yourself to drink water all day.

Mayo clinic has some good information on water intake.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    The best way to determine if you need more water is your pee. If it's dark yellow you need it, very light yellow your good. Dark yellow is a sign of dehydration. I find this also helps if I think I'm hungry. You don't NEED 8 glasses of water, you need to be hydrated.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    I can drink coffee, but not so much in the summer :/ I try them flavor packet things & they help some, but I am just not a big drinker of anything really. I have a hard time finishing a can of diet pepsi, ugh, idk I guess practice makes perfect. I'll keep trying & thank you for they great ideas too!

Once you flavor the water it is not longer water.
    Keep in mind that there is not "magic number" of cups of water that you need to drink. but it is important to stay hydrated.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    have you tried making cucumber flavored water with cucumbers?
    what about squeezing fresh lemon juice to make lemon water?
    What about Crystal light?
    Oh and what about making a pitcher of green tea at home/ would you drink that?
    When you exercise drink water as much as you can then, i know i'm not a HUGE water fan but i find thats when it does taste good so i try and drink as much as i can when I am in middle of exercising and after.
  • I was the same as u but in a 1.25litre jug i put some slices lemon and cucumber slices and some fresh mint leaves and now i can drink anywhere between 8 and 11 glasses of water a day
  • APalmieri2012
    APalmieri2012 Posts: 14 Member
    When I was working with my personal trainer, he always said that a good rule of thumb for water intake was to measure half your body weight in ounces.

For example: I currently weigh 240, therefore I should be drinking a minimum of 120 ounces of water.

For lighter people, then the 8 glasses of water would be their minimum.

Just another thought for you!
  • AimeeHxxx
    AimeeHxxx Posts: 6 Member
    Im not waters biggest fan, but i find it easier to drink from a bottle with a ''squarty'' top (like a sports bottle top)
    I drink it in dribs n drabs through out the day topping up every time it runs out. I find my self drinking at least 3 of these day at either 750ml or 1L a time.

My mum finds it better to lay out the days worth of water so she can see what shes drinking and take the challange head on.

I prefer drinking little and often so little i dont even realise iv drunk 1L.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    The best way to determine if you need more water is your pee. If it's dark yellow you need it, very light yellow your good. Dark yellow is a sign of dehydration. I find this also helps if I think I'm hungry. You don't NEED 8 glasses of water, you need to be hydrated.

^^^ this

and how much you need to drink to stay hydrated depends on a lot of different factors including the climate and how active you are. I need a lot more than 8 cups a day, because I live in Bahrain and it's the hottest time of the year, and very humid as well. But if it's really cold and you're not that active 8 cups a day is probably too much and you'll be going to the bathroom every five minutes.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    I know there was a thread not too long ago debating what I'm going to say, but I try to get 8 glasses of non-alcoholic fluids in each day. I have a pitcher of decaf tea or lemonade that I use to help suppliment my fluids intake when I always don't get all my fluids in by just plain water alone...