How do you feel about Gatorade and sugar?

Options
Gatorade has 21 grams of sugar at least per serving, and there is multiple servings per Bottle. Do you still drink it even with all the sugar? Does the benefits of drinking it out-way the consumption of the sugar? :wink:

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros
  • eklugus
    eklugus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Consider drinking G2, or find an alternative electrolyte replacement. Don't let your body recover on that much sugar.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    The low calorie version has a little less, but I tend to just opt for water unless I am severely hydrated, which if I am drinking enough water I shouldn't be.

Or hungover(which doesn't happen too often) I chew on frozen gatorade ice cubes they do wonders. =)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only drink G2 or Poweraid when I have been doing LONG stints of cardio...like a hike where I am not eating a lot or is longer then 4 or 5 hours, or the second half of a longer paddle. Otherwise I try and stick to water when exercising.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Provided that it is used for its intended purpose, I see no issue. It was designed to give a sugar energy boost and to replenish salts lost in sweat for atheletes during extended periods of intense exercise when refueling by other means wasn't feasible (specifically, it was developed for football in Florida). During long summer runs, I will often have a bottle to keep me hydrated and replenish lost electrolytes and salts since I sweat an obscene amount in the Georgia humidity. After a weight lifting workout or Insanity session, though, I usually prefer real food and water.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Considering some of the sugar in regular Gatorade is dextrose, it can be quite helpful when properly utilized. Most of the other drinks out there contain high fructose corn syrup to save money and is often debated to be even worse for us than table sugar (sucrose).

As always, when it comes to any macro, individual results will vary from person to person.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I mostly only drink water, but I don't do any hard core exercise which would warrant a sports drink. (I just jog.) I agree with AGericke though; if you like Gatorade and IIFYM, why not?
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Gatorade kept me in good stead years ago when I was riding centuries (bicycle rides of 100+ miles/day). These days I drink it when doing extensive yard work in Florida heat. But unless I'm doing something strenuous where my electrolytes really get depleted, I steer clear of it and any other sugared drinks.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    When I was in Singapore I used to drink 100plus all the time - i found I really struggled with the heat and unless I drunk water pretty much constantly. Nowadays I drink coconut water after a workout, but try to shy away from gatoade or similar sports drinks.

I do love the taste of gatorade though, no matter how absurdly bright the colour is :)
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For most of my training, I simply use sugar-free squash. For longer, more intense sessions with lots of sparring I have starting using glucose based sports drinks as I was starting to flag towards the end.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I drink sports energy drinks when I'm doing a long cycle ride and need the calories and the electrolytes but otherwise I tend to just drink water for shorter duration exercise.

Don't see a problem with drinking them if they fit in your macros although sugary drinks aren't high up my list for ways to enjoy my calories.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros

Post-workout insulin spike broscience
  • tempestearl
    Options
    I feel like Gatorade is a bit of a scam because it is full of sugar but doesn't taste very well. I have had my fair share of other sugar drinks that have had fewer grams of sugar and a lot more flavor. I am not a Gatorade person myself but I say if it works for your diet/food/exercise regimen than so be it! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Gatorade, is soda pop in running shorts (with some electrolytes thrown in). It disturbs me when I see well meaning parents giving it to inactive kids thinking it's healthier than a soft drink.

I only use sports drinks after a run/ride of 2 hrs or more (or occasionally on shorter runs/ride in extremely hot weather) and I prefer G2 and good old water. But, if you like it and it fits into your caloric goals there's no reason not to enjoy it.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There are better alternatives to replace electrolytes (replacing these within your water consumption, will keep you better hydrated, IMO) with far less sugar.

You can buy electrolyte effervescent tablets the you can desolve in your water.

Or you could make your own: (Source - http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/how-to-make-a-homemade-electrolyte-drink.html)

1) The Lip Twister - tart and sweet
    1/4 cup of lemon juice
    1/4 cup of lime juice
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 whole squeezed orange (or one frozen can of orange juice)
    1 liter of water

2) Easy Sweet - not too sugary
    2 cups of coconut milk
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of Stevia (natural sweetener) or honey
    1 liter of water

3) Mix It Up - use a blender
    2 bananas
    3 cups of coconut milk or 2 cups of strawberries
    1 cup of water and ice
    1 teaspoon of salt
    Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

4) Fast and Dirty #1 - bare bones approach
    2 lemon halves squeezed into a glass
    2 orange halves added
    Squirt of honey
    Four shakes of salt
    Fill the glass with water and gulp down

5)Fast and Dirty #2
    1 bottle or can of V8 vegetable juice (any flavor)
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of orange juice

I persoanlly have only tried the first two of these ^ but I really like them and can be made ahead of time and stored in your fridge for when you need them.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Sugar's not evil. If Gatorade made a flavor I liked, yes I would drink it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. IIFYM.