spare calories

Options
Hi, if you eat say 500 less cals the day before do these carry over?

Replies

• NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No - You need to eat for that Day.

if your goal is 1600 - Eating 1100 one day does not mean you should ge 2100 the next.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    thought so, thanks :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

if your goal is 1600 - Eating 1100 one day does not mean you should ge 2100 the next.

Hasn't hurt me so far. I do it sometimes.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do it day by day, I did serious business fasting at one point and learned that carry over doesn't work well for me.

If you exercised well above your tdee for the day or were absolutely ravenous, eat em, log it, and move on. If you can't maintain it long term it's not going to work.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Why because every 24 hours calories are gone forever? No wrong you can carry them, what matters really is your intake over time.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    its never more than about 400-500 anyway and not every day i just wasnt sure if it worked out over the week or u had to stick day by day.
  • GrouchySprout
    GrouchySprout Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to carry over, I start each day fresh but it's how much you are consuming overall in a period that matters (in my opinion anyway).
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why because every 24 hours calories are gone forever? No wrong you can carry them, what matters really is your intake over time.

No, but it gets more complicated because if you get low enough there is a slow down. Not massive, but if you're running close on your numbers it can bite you in the *kitten*, I've had it bite me in the *kitten* when I was fasting and coming off it (5 on 2 off).

You look to be in pretty good shape, tell me, is it the same if you eat no calories for 36h before you try to work out as it is if you eat for fueling your workout that day? Right. It's not. Your body need sustenance and energy when you're working it hard and nutrients to rebuild with. You can slide the numbers a bit day to day, but you really need your basic intake every day regularly and you shouldn't (generally) try to save calories one day to use the next. Occasionally it's not bad, as a habit... probably not the best methodology.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Many people prefer to look at their calorie intake over the course of a week rather than day by day. So yes, you would be fine to carry them over.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

There would be nothing wrong with this. The average intake over the two days is still 1600 cals.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

No, but it gets more complicated because if you get low enough there is a slow down. Not massive, but if you're running close on your numbers it can bite you in the *kitten*, I've had it bite me in the *kitten* when I was fasting and coming off it (5 on 2 off).

You look to be in pretty good shape, tell me, is it the same if you eat no calories for 36h before you try to work out as it is if you eat for fueling your workout that day? Right. It's not. Your body need sustenance and energy when you're working it hard and nutrients to rebuild with. You can slide the numbers a bit day to day, but you really need your basic intake every day regularly and you shouldn't (generally) try to save calories one day to use the next. Occasionally it's not bad, as a habit... probably not the best methodology.

No, you are all wrong. One day will not slow down your metabolism.

Who would fast for 36 hours???

"You shouldn't save calories"

Why? :) Proof?

So if Op is too full to eat their last 500 calories they should still force=feed themselves. Your reasoning?
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options

There would be nothing wrong with this. The average intake over the two days is still 1600 cals.

I agree with this.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I record my weight weekly so for me it's calories in vs calories out in a week. A couple of days i go under and a couple of days i go over but it balances out so I don't see what the problem is with carrying over. It works different for everyone though I suppose.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I record daily but keep an eye on the helpful table on the app (why not available on PC - who knows?) which shows your intake each day PLUS average for the week and says how many calories you have left - so I try to save 100 or so a day and by the end of the week I've got enough calories for the weekend to be "treat" rather than "cheat" days:happy:

You should not go too far under - but if you're genuinely not hungry have a glass of milk or something proteiny or you might wake up with the munchies. I've been massively over on some days but still ended up just on or even under my correct daily amount as an averge for the week. Its worked for me!
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I seem to be losing quite well even saving some extra calories I haven't eaten during the week for the weekend as I know that's when I will appreciate it more.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do that from time to time, essentially when I'm attending some kind of feast the next day. It's just like calorie cycling in the end. One day ou eat 1800, the other 1500, then 2100 and so on. Look at your calorie intake as a weekly budget instead of a daily one. I've read great success stories of people working their diet that way :)