I'm always hungry

Options
I know the main contributor to why I'm obese is because of my snacking.
I don't know if this is just me or what, but I'm always hungry. I'll eat a meal and then I'll be full for maybe
30 mins then I'm hungry again. Any ideas how to get full with low/ no calories?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First thing's first-- what's your calorie goal and how much protein are you eating?

Protein and fats are good for satiety (I actually find that fat is best for me personally).

ETA: if you open your diary we can be more helpful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Open your diary. It's probably the types of food you are eating and possibly being too aggressive with your weight loss goal or not eat up to the allocated amount of calories.

Also, snacking didn't make you obese, eating too many calories did. I eat 8 times a day and lose weight, so it is very possible.

Generally, though, I would suggest limiting carbs and increase fats and proteins for improved and longer satiety.
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know that feeling. First, you have to find the right balance of filling foods that are healthy. That is a whole other topic. Then you have to move away from the snacks! Putting food in your mouth becomes such a habit! And you think you are hungry but your not hungry, you just want to eat. Try chewing gum, going for a walk, brushing your teeth, drinking a glass of water. After time your body WILL adjust and you won't think about food all of the time. But it takes mental determination, denial, practice and willpower. You can do it!
  • LaurN326
    LaurN326 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. my calorie goal is 1884. I'm also vegetarian and have been trying to eat more protein.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Fiber is much needed, along with water
  • katrop
    katrop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sorry to interfere on your blog bur a question about protein yesterday my protein stat was in the red does that mean i have not had enough should i be amaing to get all my stats green

buti do agree about protein i have a protein smoothie every morning and it keeps me full until lunchi have to force myself to take in food sometimes i worry i do not eat enough particualry on a day i exercise i struggle to eat all the calories does that matter as long as i have my original daily allowance
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It's hard, but to lose weight you're most likely going to have to be hungry at some point, it's learning to get used to it and deal with it that is the biggest part of the battle.
    Drink loads of water. Take in plenty of protein. Get your carbs from vegetables as they are low calories so you can eat more and therefore feel more full. Get the majority of your fat from healthy sources.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Add more fiber rich foods and maybe some Greek yogurt if you can eat that? Replace some of the chocolate and desserts with fruit or veggies.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    First thing's first-- what's your calorie goal and how much protein are you eating?

Protein and fats are good for satiety (I actually find that fat is best for me personally).

ETA: if you open your diary we can be more helpful.

This is what I was going to say. Protein and fiber are filling! Boost up your protein, add some more veggies, less processed foods (since they're processed, the body breaks them down MUCH quicker, therefore you get hungry sooner).
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I can never tell whether it's hunger or whether I'm bored.

Anything you can keep yourself busy doing? =)
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I see that you are eating lots of sugar and lots of simple carbohydrates. Both of which are digested quickly and both of which are not going to leave you satisfied, hunger wise.. I would ditch the plain white pasta and the cookies/candy. Try snacking on an apple and peanut butter or hummus and veggies. Both of this snacks have complex carbs and protein, which is going to keep you fuller longer. Stay away from processed foods.. Your body is processing what you eat. So if you are eating food that is already processed, you are denying it that extra time to do its work. Good luck!
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was like that at first than I started using protein shakes and upping my protein, since your vegetarian you could eat beans and some dark leafy veggies like spinach have protein. sometimes I still have a day or two were I'm just hungry usually depends on how busy or how much I work out.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but to lose weight you're most likely going to have to be hungry at some point, it's learning to get used to it and deal with it that is the biggest part of the battle.

^^this does not have to be true. I have been successful at this since January and have yet to be hungry.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Increased protein / fibre may help. I am mostly vegetarian (occasional fish) and aim to get at least 120g per day so it is possible to get lots of protein on a vegetarian diet.

Most of my protein comes from:
    milk
    cheese
    Greek yoghurt
    eggs / egg whites
    wholegrains
    seeds / nuts / nut butters
    tofu
    soya beans / soya 'meat' products
    Quorn
    peas

I also supplement with whey powder, usually one shake per day which gives me around 40g of protein. This is not essential as I could just eat more lean protein but whey is a very cheap source gram for gram.

Also meal timings may help - during the week I have to eat breakfast early so I'm then hungry around 11am. I therefore tend to eat 6 smaller meals during the week. At the weekends when I can eat later on I tend to condense this to 3 or 4 larger meals.

Some people have found that intermittent fasting regimes help curb hunger. It's all about finding what works for you.
  • DeniMarie123
    DeniMarie123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im always hungry as well.. then I will snack on bread or crisps :noway: I try and eat Fruit or yoghurts instead now or even make a cup of tea..
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just want to add. That I to find myself hungry all the time and found that 2 of my medications are known to put weight on, so I don't know if ur on any but just consider this also.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Protein is in the toilet.

Get at least 30g per large meal.
    20g sparks protein synthesis.
    Adding 10g EAAs to each meal has shown to accelerate fat loss.
    My suggestion is get a good whey protein source like Ultra Peptide 2.0 and have a whey shake with each large meal.
    UP2.0 also has EFAs so youll get essential fats as well.

Get protein up to at least 90g a day and youll see a huge difference.
    Also adding extra fibre to the carb meals will slow digestion and youll feel fuller longer.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Girl, you need more fiber, protein and fat! I'd also change out *some* of the sugary snacks for calories that will sustain you longer. Those little snack packs never last. Keep the chocolate around, though- a little sweet's not bad at all :)

I eat vegetarian intermittently, and I get a lot of protein from things like lentils and beans and Seitan.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    are u drinking plenty of water? what are u having for snacks?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Girl, you need more fiber, protein and fat! I'd also change out *some* of the sugary snacks for calories that will sustain you longer. Those little snack packs never last. Keep the chocolate around, though- a little sweet's not bad at all :)

I eat vegetarian intermittently, and I get a lot of protein from things like lentils and beans and Seitan.

you forgot Lean meats like chicken, turkey, beef and fish.
    ;D