Exercising thru soreness

Options
Yesterday was my first time running for 30 minutes after months. I completed the C25K back in Feb. but stopped running in April. Now its only my second day and my legs are sore!! I don't want to give up but I also don't want to over do it. What should I do? Try to run for less time? Do another exercise?? Rest?? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don something else. You don't need to run two days in a row if you're feeling sore. Do some upper body strength work or something lower impact like walking, elliptical or swimming.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch before and after every run. Also stretch on days that you are feeling sore, regardless of whether you run.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Rest the muscles that are sore, work the ones that aren't. Also stretch, sleep and hydrate the pain away :)
  • cbuggy75
    cbuggy75 Posts: 23
    Options
    Well you shouldn't run 2 days in a row anyways. So throw in some weight training. You will be glad you did in the long run anyways. Strength training is what changes the shape of your body for the good :) If you hadn't ran in months you probably should ease back into it. Whatever you do, don't sit still and do nothing, it just makes the soreness worse. Good job on your run though! :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For a beginning runner, I would recommend not running two days in a row until you build up some strength and stamina. Running is pretty hard on the body and you need recovery time. If you want to exercise on most days of the week, do strength training on your non-running days--you need it to prevent injuries, anyway, and it will help you retain lean body mass while you are on a calorie restriction.

To answer your original question, though, it's okay to exercise while sore, as long as the soreness isn't crippling. Light exercise can even help alleviate the pain. But do not overdo it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    warming up before, and cooling down and stretching after a run is essential for good performance (follow your own damn advice Apollo).

That being said, if you haven't run in 2-3 months, and you went out for a thirty minute run, then yes, you are going to be sore. I'd skip running today, and just go for a walk, a bike ride, or a swim.

i like a little hair of the dog when it comes to exercising. after my first half marathon, my legs were screaming at me. i thought they wanted rest, but then i went for a bike ride, and guess what? they started feeling sooooo much better.
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    When I'm sore from running I will usually do a strength workout the next day or if I really feel like some cardio I'll power walk instead.
  • chalaquera
    chalaquera Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!!! I'm going to work on upper strength training. I never really done this at home before just done it at gym classes BEFORE my kids. (7 yrs ago) Searching online for ideas on a routine. Any great links?
  • lahlstephens
    lahlstephens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love, Jillian Michaels! I'm doing Ripped in 30 now! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    working through soreness is fine, but not through pain.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    do you stretch after running? very important to stretch after your muscles are good and warm.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk instead. For workouts I am a big fan of Rosemary Conley - not sure if they are online but the DVDs are pretty cheap. Many of them are broken into short sections (properly short - like 20 mins self-contained including warm-up) so you can do a little bit at a time to ease sore muscles and get you moving, without wearing yourself out. And she includes some good toning routines which will work on your leg muscles and core strength.
  • chalaquera
    Options
    I usually don't stretch afterwards, just do a 5-10 minutes walk. But I going to start before and after...thanks
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The soreness will go and is down to exercising muscles you haven't used in a while, the warm up, cool down and stretch is good advice you don't need to do static stretches before exercise but dynamic stretching i.e doing similar movements to those you use when running during your warm up will help as will static stretches during your cool down. I normally just gentle jog/walk warm up and stretch after a cool down walk
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you do a light jog or some other form of cardio while it is working the legs it will ease the pain. I always found when I am the most sore after a leg day or a run if the next day I do another run -- albeit a bit slower -- (or some other form of cardio) 10 min. into it the pain recedes and the next day they feel loads better.

And FWIW: I have never, ever done any intense stretching before or after a run and I haven't had problems. The only thing I will occasionally stretch are my calves but that's only if they're tight at the end.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I usually find that after exercising i feel better. I tend to run alternate days outside and then hit the gym on the days in between where I work mainly on strength training.. At the gym I will do a little warm up on the treadmill but mainly will use the bike to get my main cardio out the way
  • chalaquera
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! My husband signed me up for a 5k mud run in Sept. So I should be working on my other muscles too. :-p