C25K- Week 5 day 3

Options
I'm currently on W5 of c25k and tomorrow is the big day 3 when I will have to run for 20 minutes straight. I have been dreading this for awhile as it seems like such a huge jump from running for 8 minutes at a time which feels like all I can do. I know this program was written by people who know what they're doing.. As I never would've made it this far if it didn't work. I have never ran in my life and with this, I'm doing it! :) Can anyone who's been here offer some tips and tricks on how to get through tomorrow's run?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Keep a slow and steady pace.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maintain your pace and don't psych yourself out. Usually my brain is much weaker than my legs!
  • wendola0521
    wendola0521 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my W5D3. I have been freaking out for a while now wondering how I was going to do 20 minutes when I died doing 5 minutes and 8 minutes. Well, I did it this morning. The whole 20 minutes without stopping! I went slow and was shocked when my app said 1 minute remaining. I am not a runner, have never been a runner...if I can do this, anyone can do it. Good luck to you!!!!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Seriously I have been there. Just take it, keep your breathing slow and steady and one foot in front of the other and before you know it 20 minutes are up.

Make sure after you do it, you come back to this thread to brag. :)
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yes, please update how it went! I did week 4, day 2 today so I will be trying 20 minutes next week and I am concerned! :huh: lol
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    slow and steady pace and keep going.....YOU GOT THIS!
  • brookelester10
    brookelester10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well ladies, after a few roadblocks, I finally did it! I wasn't able to complete the run on Thursday as planned due to my gym being closed and getting rained out of the possibility of running outdoors. So, bright and early this morning, I hit the gym and I did it! Was it hard? Yes. Did it hurt? Yes! Did I feel like I just might lose my breakfast by the end? Absolutely! But the most important thing is, I did it!! The best advice I can give to others soon facing this workout is the following: make yourself a playlist of up tempo songs that motivate you to keep going and DON'T LOOK AT THE TIMER! I have found that my runs seem to go by 100 times faster and easier when I don't watch the clock. I failed to make a playlist, therefore had to look at my phone to change songs from time to time and could not help but glance at the timer in doing so. This made it hard, but most importantly.. I pushed through! It definitely is mind over matter.. It is true that the brain gives up long before the legs! :) Thanks for the motivation.. And good luck to those working up to it. You can do this!! :happy:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well ladies, after a few roadblocks, I finally did it! I wasn't able to complete the run on Thursday

Whooooo hoo!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: Great feeling isn't it?! Way to go!
  • brookelester10
    brookelester10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes it is! I've never been more proud after a workout.. Before yesterday, I had never even ran a mile without stopping. I ran almost two! I'm amazed at what my body can do now. I can't stress how much I love C25K!! :)
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    I'm so glad to read this, I'll be attempting this myself tonight. I've been worrying about it a little, 20 minutes seems daunting. I feel more positive about it now, hopefully I'll do as brilliantly as you did,
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same thing when I got to that point in C25k last year. "I'm never gunna do it, it's never going to happen...oh! Top of the world feeling! I did it!"

I've just done W3D2 after a 3 month break, and I think I am going to repeat that before trying the full 20mins straight.

I'm also totally tagging this thread so I can reread it right before I try W3D3 next week :happy:
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I'm at that point, too. I'm running a 5k in less than 2 weeks and I'm so not ready for it. I just recently got through the 10 min run, 3 min walk, 10 min run without walking during the second 10 minutes. You're the second person I've seen recently who specifically said they've done this. It makes me feel like I can do it, too!
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 last night for the second time (I went through C25K about 4 years ago and pretty much stopped running after doing it) and it really is more of a mental challenge than a physical one as long as you keep you pace reasonable. The best thing is once you make it through that day the rest of the program is a cakewalk (at least from a mental standpoint...)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options
    Congrats! Thanks for coming back and letting us know you did it.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i've been dreading this too. my last 3 runs have been me re-doing W5D2 because they have all been on days where it is 104 degrees outside and i want to make sure i don't have too much trouble.

The c25k website says you can feel free to re-do a workout a few times if you don't feel like you are ready.

i'm gonna crush it this week though
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Congrats for those who have accomplished their week 5 day 3. I just started and finished week 1. Keeping this post bookmarked so I can read it for inspiration when I get there!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! What helps me is asking myself a simple question: Do I really feel that much worse than I did 30 seconds ago? Usually the answer is "Nope...I feel about the same." Of course, I still feel like I'm dying, but whatever!

Congrats on your great run!
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lol I a, so stealing your thought process :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options
    i've been dreading this too. my last 3 runs have been me re-doing W5D2 because they have all been on days where it is 104 degrees outside and i want to make sure i don't have too much trouble.

The c25k website says you can feel free to re-do a workout a few times if you don't feel like you are ready.

i'm gonna crush it this week though

You got this! You can so do it!

I did W6D3 tonight. It was 2.25 miles which I managed in about 28 minutes.

I realized the first mile is all mental and the hardest. I'm dying the whole way and once I pass the mile mark I'm all "holy crap! I just ran a mile!" and somehow that second mile and a forth, while still challenging, is WAY easier than that first mile.
    Congrats for those who have accomplished their week 5 day 3. I just started and finished week 1. Keeping this post bookmarked so I can read it for inspiration when I get there!

This thread has been a total inspiration to me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017375-c25k-week-2-comments-and-questions

If you get the chance and if you need an extra inspiration check it out. It's super positive and filled with a can do attitude. :)