Pull Ups Help!

Options
Can you do pull ups? How do you train yourself to be able to do pull ups? What are some good exercises? I would like to complete at least 5 pull ups for my next fitness test.

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I started I was using a machine in my gym where you can use weights "to stand on" so you don't have to pull your whole body weight up. It took me quite some time until I could do a proper pull up and even now I can only do 4-5. Takes some patience I guess. :)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on the negative part of the pull up, jump up and let your body down slowly. You can also use bands to assist you, there are videos on youtube you can search. I think the bands are a better option then the assisted pull up machine because the bands help you at the bottom the most but the higher you get on your pull up the less it helps.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I am using Scooby's program and have nearly completed phase 3 - I'm very pleased with my progress so far. You can view the program here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has a machine that allows you to do assist pull ups. It takes some of your body weight out of the equation to allow you to do pull ups and as you get more confident you lessen the weight you have taken out. They trainer at the gym recommended starting at 1/3 of your body weight. It is still hard for me!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    stand on a box and do the down part of the exercise slowly, get back up and continue for sets, this will help build up the strength you need to do it.

I used this method for gaining the strength for chin ups back when i had 0 upper body strength, now do weighted chin ups so its a way forward.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on the negative part of the pull up, jump up and let your body down slowly. You can also use bands to assist you, there are videos on youtube you can search. I think the bands are a better option then the assisted pull up machine because the bands help you at the bottom the most but the higher you get on your pull up the less it helps.

Yes agree. Resistance bands are brilliant as you say - they give a boost at the deep end and help you less as you get to the bar.

I am progressing through pull-ups by training them twice a week - once doing 5 x 5 unassisted negs by standing on a chair and slowly lowering down to hang, and the other session is using resistance bands for assistance; 5 to failure each set.

For all sets, negatives and assisteds, I do as many (currently 1 to 2) real pull-ups before momentary failure and then continue with negs or assisted.

One of the best bodyweight exercises!
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Yes agree. Resistance bands are brilliant as you say - they give a boost at the deep end and help you less as you get to the bar.

I am progressing through pull-ups by training them twice a week - once doing 5 x 5 unassisted negs by standing on a chair and slowly lowering down to hang, and the other session is using resistance bands for assistance; 5 to failure each set.

For all sets, negatives and assisteds, I do as many (currently 1 to 2) real pull-ups before momentary failure and then continue with negs or assisted.

One of the best bodyweight exercises!

I agree with the use of bands to assist you. I love Woody Bands, they come in three levels to help you progress.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Ooh - also forgot to say - one of the best ways to increase pullups (if you are overweight) is to lose the fat. I have to remind myself that I can only do five sets of one and half pull-ups without assistance right now but that is with 14 to 20 pounds of fat to lose. Basically, I am doing weighted pull-ups!
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Can you do pull ups? How do you train yourself to be able to do pull ups? What are some good exercises? I would like to complete at least 5 pull ups for my next fitness test.

Pull-ups are tough, that's for sure. One method is to use a chair. You can keep the chair close and put one foot on it. This will take some of your body weight out of the equation. As you get stronger, move the chair further away, this will put less body weight into the equation. Keep doing this until you can do them unassisted.
    You can also do negatives. Use the chair to get all the way up, then take your feet off of the chair and lower yourself as slowly as possible. This can help you gain the strength needed to do them unassisted.
    Beachbody sells a product called the Pull-Up Assist. It's basically a band that attaches to the bar. You put a foot into the other end. This takes off some of your body weight and you can gradually reduce the resistance.
    Check out this video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V4PUXDDDIY

Good luck!!
    Joe
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to do wide grip pull ups. 7-10 of them.

Not sure if I can do them now (and now I am going to have to try LOL).

I would suggest starting out with the assisted pull up machine and just decrease the weight that you are using each time you do it. Eventually you won't need any weight. In addition I suggest just practicing doing an unassisted pull up. Go as high as you can go then just try and increase it each time you practice.

And as someone suggested do negatives.