New 46 and Overweight

Options
Regan45
Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
Hi - I am new to this site and hoping to lose some weight. I am 46 and have only weighed this much during pregnancies. I have never really dieted but things are getting out of hand!
I found this site while searching for weight watchers on line. Hoping to learn a few things and get some support (hopefully give some also).

Replies

• haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 40 & have never "dieted" in the last 20 years. With each of my 4 pregnancies, I just gained a little bit at a time & never really cared to try to work it off. After quitting my serving job that I had for 10 years, the weight seemed to pile on, since I was not as active. I really like this plan. I'm learning what works for losing weight! <3
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change, that's one reason why diets fail, you go back to your old bad habits that got you here in the first place.... As you age your metabolism changes, so you have to change with it.

Read this to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • jgonza132
    jgonza132 Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome to this board! Hope you find the advice you need to continue your success.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will be 46 next month. I have recently lost 40 pounds and would be happy to encourage you! Send me a friend request.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    43 here and you are in great company. So many
    ppl here identify with you. All the best to you! :)
  • lesliek312
    lesliek312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. Never had a weight problem until after having two kids. Welcome to MFP....lots of support here!
  • tacobella2013
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend, I will be here for the long haul :)
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    47 here. Relatively new here... less than a week... but I am loving it. Great encouragement... great ppl..... Havent felt this good for a Long time. Friend me if you wish.
  • Lttlbird47
    Lttlbird47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 47 and new too!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    48 and a busybody! :wink: I never actually attended WW (did it using the books) because I don't need to pay someone to tell me I'm overweight! Discovered this site when I couldn't kid myself is was just "skimpy cutting" making me buy ever-bigger clothes. My top tips for getting the best out of this site:

1) weigh everything (OK, not one apple, but pasta, cereal, cheese etc)
    2) log everything - every nibble "to test it" every "thanks, I'd love a square of chocolate", every "Happy birthday, thanks for the cake"
    3) eat your exercise calories. If you're not good at exercising, set yourself to sedentary then you have to "earn" those extra calories:wink:
    4) Keep within your daily allowance - if you go over, eat that many less the next day (or over a few days if you're really naughty), just make sure you balance for the week.

This has worked for me since I joined in January (5'6" female)
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Im 52 and have been on mfp since January and its helped me a lot,sure makes you realize just how knowing the right things to eat and calorie watching can make a big difference
  • patsimmon88
    Options
    Hi! 46 also and overweight. Loving MFP. Feel free to add.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I'm excited and scared (that I won't follow through). I appreciate all that said I could send friend requests. I sent them to all that offered. I need all the help I can get!!
  • tinavbyrnes
    Options
    Hi all! I'm turning 50 in December and I have to get in shape! I've got four daughters and my youngest is disabled. It's time I did this!! Feel free to friend me!!! :smile:
  • samsnug
    samsnug Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new and trying to loose 45 lbs. Looking forward to all your support.