Lower back pain

Options
So basically - Although overweight i am Moderatly fit, I am able to do sports and excercises for hours at a time. But when I Run a distance longer then 1 - 2 mile I start getting lower back pain which makes me need to slow down to almost walking and pretty much demoralises me to go any further

Anyone have any tips to strenghten or relieve this pain? So i can achieve longer distances. If this pain would stop I would be able to do 6-8 mile runs as its not my fitness.

I know its because Im carrying extra weight, and with weight loss will get easier but for me to be able to help myself more, anyone got any advice.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How strong is your core? Do you do compound lifts or core specific exercises? I'm not an expert, but it seems to me you need to work on core strength.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    currently not doing any lifting or body type of activity - Only cardio at the minute. If you think doing core work would help, I will add that to my routine.

Im trying to get a copy of Insanity, That should have core workouts also. Thanks.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would recommend adding some strength training. Squats and deadlifts will strength your core and lower back. Start light and work on form then progressively add weight.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I had terrible back pain before I started lifting, but I can't tell you the last time I had any. Perhaps building up the supporting muscles did it or perhaps stronger muscles helped improve my posture, which in turn alleviated the pain, or maybe it was a bit of both. In any case, give it a shot.

The other area to explore is your shoes. Have you ever had your foot type and mechanics evaluated at a running store? Do you replace your shoes every 300-500 miles? Have you tried 3rd party insoles? (The ones that come with most shoes are complete junk; even Dr. Scholl's are a significant improvement.)

This. ????????????
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My health professor said ten situps a day can prevent back pain. Also, counter-intuitive but getting your inner thighs and hip flexors less tight really helps the lower back. I went to physical therapy for lower back pain at age 14 and most of the stretches were for the hamstrings/hipflexors and ab strengthening. Lie on your back and hug your knee to your chest (as far as comfortable) for fifteen seconds, repeat for each leg a few times.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters, getting some strength training and improving your muscles should help.
    I'm currently in rehab physiotherapy sessions for lower back pain/sciatica, and I've been encouraged to strengthen up my core, glutes, and lower back. Little things like tensing your butt and abs throughout the day can help too. Obviously it's different for everyone but I've found this really helps me :)
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stretch those hip flexors especially those psoas muscles. It's the muscle deep in the core. when they are tight, they contribute to lower back pain. Also stretch those gluteals, too.
  • RJAgeo
    RJAgeo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Since there are multiple sources of back pain, you'll have to do some research after considering these responses. You'll eventually find what works for you. Hopefully, just adding daily stretching, and gradually building up the core will relieve the pain, or at least allow you to meet your exercise goals without too much disruptive discomfort.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Agree with strengthening your core. Think about mixing up your routine for a balance of strength training and cardio on alternate days.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would recommend adding some strength training. Squats and deadlifts will strength your core and lower back. Start light and work on form then progressively add weight.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I was diagnosed with a pinched sciatica several years ago and would run through the pain. I would have to take ibuprofen before and after my runs to deal with the pain as well as use a foam roller on my IT band and glutes.

It wasn't until a few months ago when I started weightlifting (barbell squats and deadlifts) that my lower back pain is pretty much gone! :bigsmile: I highly recommend you start incorporating it into your running routine.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Would def recommend core exercises and you don't have to work in the gym to do them! I do all of my core work doing pilates exercises. Stretching hamstrings, hip flexors, adductors, abductors and glutes too!
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info - I will get some core excercises and weights dead lifts etc mixed into my routine.