Quinoa: I'm new to this stuff... recipe help???

darce27dk
darce27dk Posts: 17 Member
Hi! I am starting to venture out on healthy eating. I heard quinoa is a high protein low carb good alternative to rice, potatoes all that (which I love love love to eat). I have never cooked with it and don't know what to cook with it. I would like to start since it has such GREAT health benefits (from what I have read). Recipes, tips, advice would help tremendously for a newbie in the Quinoa world! Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Bump.
  • This one has olive oil so it might be a little high in calories but I do love this tomato caprese quinoa salad: http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2011/06/fresh-caprese-quinoa-salad/

I love these quinoa kale patties: http://yummysupper.blogspot.com/2012/09/quinoa-kale-patties.html

My quick go-to quinoa meal is also a quinoa black bean bowl. I seriously just put quinoa and canned black beans in a bowl with salsa. I saute up some peppers and onions if I have them and you can put some shredded cheese in if you want too. I always keep black beans in the house so this is what I do when I can't find anything to eat pretty much!
  • dmt9544
    dmt9544 Posts: 11 Member
    Lots of great recipes online by Wendy Polisi, many are available without buying the Recipe eBooks.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/category/quinoa-recipes

I've made this one a couple of times and really like it.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/italian-zucchini-quinoa-casserole-2
  • Salad mix....you know ,it has lettuce, carrots, cabbage in a bag...add green beans, a diced chicken breast, cucumber, Even a large salad like this is only 200 calories, another good one is yellow squash, zucchini, spray some PAM cooking spray in a fry pan, slice up the items in semi thin slices and get them sizzling....after you get them with a little brown on them poor in 1/8th of a cup of water and put the lid on,,,,,let it steam, turning them every 3 minutes. drain the water out of the pan, spray it with a little "I cant believe itrs not butter" add seasoning -salt-pepper-etc....2 cups of this is only 60 calories. Ive lost over 120 lbs eating like this in only 6 months.....you can do it
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Cooked with coconut mlk its was geat. creamy and sm
    ooth but higher in calories so adjust. accordingly.
  • Yay! I love quinoa, I like to cook it and dice up zucchini and butternut squash to add to it. If you are really challenged Trader Joes makes a pre made Quinoa that you can just reheat on the stove top. It goes great with fish and lean meats, or you can go vegetarian and just add a bunch of different veggies to it like ( peppers, carrots, peas, zucchini, kale, spinach). You can cook it in low sodium chicken broth to add a little flavor and thats about all you need. I'm sure there are also some great recipes online.

I really love quinoa and encourage all my clients to try it out and add it to there diet. I normally make Salmon and Quinoa, just adding the veggies in the quinoa.
  • Cooked with coconut mlk its was geat. creamy and sm
    ooth but higher in calories so adjust. accordingly.

that is a great idea! You could do like light coconut milk or half coconut milk half almond milk.... yum!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    A little time consuming but great for a party - for the 4th of July I grilled some pineapple and sweet potatoes, diced 'em up and tossed them into quinoa with a lime-honey-olive oil dressing. Optional crushed red pepper and cotija cheese crumbles. It got gobbled up at two different barbeques.
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    I LOVE this chili recipe -- I've made it several times and my hubby is a fan too.

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/10/black-bean-sweet-potato-and-quinoa-chili-with-smoked-chipotle/

Also, I like to toss it into a greek salad for some variation!

Looking forward to trying some of the other suggestions. Also, red quinoa is particularly yummy and has a bit of a crunch.

Lynda
  • LyndaMRou
    LyndaMRou Posts: 54 Member
    My quick go-to quinoa meal is also a quinoa black bean bowl. I seriously just put quinoa and canned black beans in a bowl with salsa. I saute up some peppers and onions if I have them and you can put some shredded cheese in if you want too. I always keep black beans in the house so this is what I do when I can't find anything to eat pretty much!

Oh, that sounds fabulous and a perfect idea for when my hubby is out of town!
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    All the suggestions sound marvelous. I may have to get some quinoa and try it out.
  • Teyah04
    Teyah04 Posts: 5
    Shrimp quinoa spring rolls!! So yummy! :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    I honestly need a QUINOA genius because i have no clue how to make it taste good

IN4RECIPES
  • schertz72
    schertz72 Posts: 3
    Sounds yummy..thanks for the tips
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    bump!
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Cook some in almond milk (or normal cow's milk) at night, leave to cool and put in the fridge. Eat for breakfast with chopped fresh fruit, nuts, berries and/or a big spoon of natural yoghurt.
  • laurachick222
    laurachick222 Posts: 3 Member
    I like to cook up a batch and store it in my fridge. I usually do 1/2 cup Quinoa and a whole cup of water, cover and let boil for 15 mins or unitl there is a thread around each grain.

Then during the week I can easily add some into my cold salads, make into a breakfast by heating up and adding fruit and brown sugar, stir frying veggies or just about anything you want. Add it to chicken dishes or meatloaf too! :)
  • 79smudge
    79smudge Posts: 26 Member
    bump!
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    It's good in stuffed peppers with veg.