Hypothryoidism

Options
I have been suffering from Hypothyroidism since I had my son 11 years ago. I have been struggling the last few years to lose weight and it's been slowly creeping up and now I'm 15 pounds over my normal weight. I have been on and off my fitness pal for six months and just feel frustrated. i will lose one pound after being completely strict for a week and if I'm bad for one day I gain back three pounds. I know that water weight is probably the culprit but if I can't keep losing 2 pounds a week how will i ever lose?

Replies

• patsimmon88
    Options
    hi, please feel free to add me. I am 46, suffer from Hashimoto's but mostly stay hypo. Boy I wish it would go Hyper. MFP has truly helped me alot. I love it.
  • embugsy10
    embugsy10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    is there anything different you are doing with your eating?
  • Dort68
    Dort68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First--is your hypothyroidism controlled with meds? Start there.

Second-are you exercising/weight training?

Third-Are you logging every single bite that you have weighed before eating?

If those 3 things aren't settled, fix them first. Then look at tweaking your eating. Look up on MFP--"Eat More 2 Weigh Less" as a good starter. You might need to reset your metabolism if you've been hypo &not controlled for awhile.

I have been hypo for 15 years. My weight gain is not related to my thyroid; I gained weight because I ate too much. Plain and simple.
  • embugsy10
    Options
    I do all three. Doctors not sure why it's so hard for me to lose the weight.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your thyroid and the hormones involved effect your metabolism. I have Hashimotos and I am almost always Hypo. I have a goiter and its annoying lol! My weight has always been a struggle. Add me if you'd like!
  • Ivonnegarza1980
    Options
    I do all three. Doctors not sure why it's so hard for me to lose the weight.

Hi I have thyroid problems as well and I swear just looking at a grain of rice I gain weight. Honestly the way I've been losing weight is working out harder and just being more active. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from Hypothyroidism for last 20 years. It is controlled with meds. Loosing weight is difficult compare to normal people but can be done with portion control and exercise. A few people had told me the maximum I will loose is about 10 to 15 pounds but I lost 30 last year. I struggle to loose 2 pounds in a week or two and gain back in 2 days. Yes it is a struggle but can be done. Good luck.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    First--is your hypothyroidism controlled with meds? Start there.

Second-are you exercising/weight training?

Third-Are you logging every single bite that you have weighed before eating?

If those 3 things aren't settled, fix them first. Then look at tweaking your eating. Look up on MFP--"Eat More 2 Weigh Less" as a good starter. You might need to reset your metabolism if you've been hypo &not controlled for awhile.

I have been hypo for 15 years. My weight gain is not related to my thyroid; I gained weight because I ate too much. Plain and simple.

Yup - me too. you have to be consistent. I have Hashimoto's and have been hypo for 20 years. I would recommend a book called Living Well with Hypothyroidism as well. It gives a lot of good tips. Stay active and eat healthy - really truly that is the only way to make a permanent change. Do I go off the wagon...yep...who doesn't. But in the long term - it may take you longer to lose it, but one pound a week is acceptable, so in 5 weeks, you're down 5 pounds...it may take you longer, but you will get there.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up to lose a pound a week. More sustainable to eat that way in the long run and more realistic expectations. You aren't dieting, and looking forward knowing you are eating much the way you always will helps you set up a lifestyle you really can live and thrive with.

Be sure your activity is what you say it is. Try to change things up so it doesn't get stale for you.

I have Hashimoto's but am controlled with medication. Be sure you have a progressive endocrinologist--some older, old-fashioned ones have different, less healthy levels in their "normal" range and those make it hard to lose. Often endos have dieticians working with them. Take advantage of that if yours does.
  • embugsy10
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will keep you updated
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I've been on synthroid now for about 5 years. Overcoming the physical challenges can be difficult but not impossible. For me, I've found a consistent weight training program and lower carb levels have made a world of difference.
    Side note: After most of my weight loss I went to my MD and asked if I could now go off the medication since I was no longer overweight. He said HT doesn't work that way. The medication has to continue. Didn't realize this until he told me.
    Add me if you need more support.
  • patsimmon88
    Options
    just smaller portions, healthier choices. More fresh fruit and veggies. AND lots of water.