Getting Engaged & Proposing

Options

Replies

• jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be elaborate at all. My husband proposed to me in our house, simply with a meaningful song playing in the background. What he said to me in his proposal meant much more to me than any megatron would have.

Good luck and congratulations!!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just use a ring pop. get down on one knee, and say "suck it!"
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Do not put into champagne and let her drink the ring.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    customize the proposal to something that you know she will love to tell the story of. Y'all are going to have to tell the story a million times over so make sure it's something you'll enjoy telling!

It sounds like y'all are simple, private, care more about what each other thinks than anyone else. So why not do it in the comfort of home, during a completely normal evening. Like call for her to join you in a particular room and have you there on one knee waiting for her when she comes in. Simple, a surprise, and you can make the actual words of the proposal really fun or romantic or whatever.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say pop the question on your MFP status- but the newsfeeds are down. This site maintenance is getting in the way of love.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    There's only one way to do it right: Flashmob proposal

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uCP1bkpe9o

Just kidding. You don't have to do that.

Seriously, best of luck and congrats. I'm sure that whatever you choreograph will be awesome.

JAZZ HANDS!
    tumblr_mgfk42E5UJ1rnp15wo1_500.gif
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!

But, if you must....your penguin suit is mighty nice!

LOL, I'll take that into consideration. But it's definitely too hot in Vegas for a penguin to be walking around.

Its too hot for a penguin to just be WALKING around here! (Billy Madison voice)
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I work in the wedding industry and I can tell you this - you can make it whatever you like, but if it's going to be somewhere in public (like a romantic walk in the park or at her favourite restaurant) - see if you can hire a photographer to take some candid pics of that moment! Hardly anybody has real engagement photos.

Another example: one guy booked his girlfriend into one of those makeover and photoshoot sessions, she loved it. At the end of the photo shoot he secretly arranged with the photographer to keep taking pictures... and he got down on one knee and proposed! Not only did she look gorgeous accepting it, but now they have photos to cherish :)

Just an idea - don't do it if you don't want to - but something to consider, as it's very rare :)
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Facebook is the thing to these days. Ask her on her Facebook wall and she says yes then you will come over and put ring on finger, or else if she says no it would be awkward.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    just hand her the ring wrapped up in a pre-nup.

does not share well with others
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Facebook is the thing to these days. Ask her on her Facebook wall and she says yes then you will come over and put ring on finger, or else if she says no it would be awkward.

LOL. That would be funny but we live together, so I wouldn't have too far to go at least. :D
  • JNick77
    Options
    Her parents are separated but they're both really nice people and when I told her one friend that I was going to ask her dad, she suggested that I ask her mom too because they're very close. Maybe her mom may have some ideas. I'm just have a major creativity block right now; the price of that ring must've hurt my brain a little.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    I wish my now fiancé would have had a photographer! I would have loved to have those memories to hold onto forever.

My fiancé did it at the Bellagio botanical garden in Las Vegas. I told him I wanted flowers, music, and soft lighting. I wanted it to be the perfect mood.

Get on pinterest. They have some awesome ideas. There was one where a guy planned a whole day, and throughout the day she picked up people. It started with her mom who gave her a clue to go to the next place which may have been lunch. At lunch her sister would show up and they would eat then get another clue. He did this all day until all of her important people in her life were around. He had her go to lunch, get her nails done, her hair done, got a hotel room for her to take a bubble bath, etc. He was the last stop where he proposed. So sweet!!

Remember this is something she is going to tell her kids and friends a million times. Make it memorable. Make it romantic.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What is her favorite activity or hobby. Incorporate the proposal into that.

This. It shows personalization, that you know her, and that you want to make it special for her.

While I, personally, have forbid my BF to propose to me (one divorce in my history is enough for me), I know if I were to be proposed to, something like having a handwritten poem or a short story along with it. I'm a writer and that would show he really does notice what I like.

That is assuming that she is open to being proposed to. I think - first and foremost - decide THAT. My BF and I have had looooong talks about my not wanting to get married. If he were to propose - especially in a public manner - that would likely be a disastrous thing for us both.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My fiance just proposed to me a few weeks ago. It was simple and at our house and that was perfect for me. The fact that he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife was the best feeling ever. Just tell her how you feel and that will matter most. The thing that is going to matter is the marriage you have together, not a big wedding or over the top proposal.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    NOT in public! yeah, it's super if she's overjoyed but what about if she isn't ready? how can she say no in front of people without feeling guilty for humiliating you? it's a personal thing.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I say personal and simple!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I hope she doesn't know about your profile on here because this is a PUBLIC forum! And googleable.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My fiance did an extremely simple proposal. He wasnt even planning on proposing that day. We had a bad, stressful crazy day. It was around 4pm the kids were napping. I was sitting on the couch, stressed from the days events ( this was 2 yrs ago mind you) anyways, I was about to get up and make dinner. He came into the living room with dinner! Which was sweet since he rarely cooks and then he dropped to one knee and said "I love you on our worst days, our best days, and through everything we have been through and whatever the future holds, will you marry me?"
    I said yes, of course. Abit cheesy I know but it was very sweet, I thought. Turned an awful day into a wonderful day. Granted we were totally broke and unable to have a wedding at the time, so we just set a wedding date in may and have saved up for a nice wedding in April, 2015. :) (I should add that he had a ring.)
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, both joking and serious. I actually went over to her mom's house last night and talked to her and her step-dad and had a great conversation. And I walked away with a possible idea or two, which is great.

J