Housework

Options
I know this may sound silly, but my experience is that when I do some housework (like hoovering and dusting, cleaning stairs etc.) I usually end up being pretty worn out and I even sweat.. I know it's not technically a work out but (at least for me) it works that way. So why there is no housework listed in here among other exercises? :) (if there is and I just couldnt find it, I'm really sorry :) )

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    it's there.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I would just say it's daily activity.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I some times count it BUT only if I am sweeping mopping floors or moving furniture. The everyday tidy up etc I do not count. When I do count it I wear my HRM for an accurate calorie burn. I know alot of people say don't count it however, how many people sweep and mop floors everyday. No one I would suspect unless they are a cleaner by profession.

edited to add: look up cleaning in the exercise
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you did quite a bit of it (not just a few minutes) i'd count it, especially if you're feeling worn out. I'd put it under cleaning which is listed in the exercises.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, it isn't exercise. Even if you get worn out. They don't do gym class in hoovering for a reason. It is just a way that us overweight people kid ourselves, if we were fitter we wouldn't get worn out by ordinary daily things. But it is up to you, and you know yourself best, if it is over and above normal cleaning (I did count when I emptied the room of furniture and shampooed the carpet, although only a fraction of the time I took)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Physical exersion of any kind is cardio. The heart doesnt care if its walking, carrying children, washing toilets. Its all cardio. We may need more of it or a variety but all and any is better than none.

There is a code for heavy cleaning, light cleaning. If not creat one. Clean hard burn fat:smile:
  • DaveSwan
    Options
    I'd count it if it's for a decent length of time. I normally do all the housework on a Saturday and count that as my exercise for the day.
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers and for letting me know its there. :)
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If your really getting into it and havent taken into account this activity then I would include it..

Oh and Its there under :

Cleaning Heavy, Vigorous effort.

or

Cleaning Light, Moderate effort.
  • agaw0211
    Options
    The simple way to think about this is that almost all of the time more exercise is better than less. So if you want to count daily activities as part of your exercise you can. If you do this then most likely you will probably won't reach your exercise goals as fast as, if you combined exercise with your physically demanding daily activities. Remember, you want to always try to think about exercise in your daily life, so if you take the stairs instead of the elevator that's awesome!! But don't mistake that for exercise.

For example, CALORIES BURNED at REST +CALORIES BURNED THROUGH DAILY ACTIVITIES + CALORIES BURNED THROUGH EXERCISE = MAXIMUM CALORIES BURNED IN A DAY

Hole this helps and Good luck!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt include it every day.... but i did clean mysisters house before she moved in at the weekend.. and included it.. although i did use those calories..

sometimes I wouls go on a cleaning frenzy for a couple of hours.. mopping and sweeping all the floors.. running up and down the stairs with clothes ect.. if I have one of these I will include it as it is hard erwork than some low impace aerobics!!!

but not every day activities.. hope this helps!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    They don't do gym class in hoovering for a reason.

This is my favorite quote of the week!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options

It's true though, they also don't have ironing and stuffing stuff in the washing machine workout classes. People need to get real about what constitutes exercise, there is a reason we are all trying to lose weight, we all need to stop kidding ourselves.

:-)
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options

It's true though, they also don't have ironing and stuffing stuff in the washing machine workout classes. People need to get real about what constitutes exercise, there is a reason we are all trying to lose weight, we all need to stop kidding ourselves.

Still a calorie burned is a calorie burned rather you are in a gym or at home pushing a vacum cleaner or even a mower .. you still burning calories. It may not "constitute exercise" as exercise is known. BUT you are still burning calories either way.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Still a calorie burned is a calorie burned rather you are in a gym or at home pushing a vacum cleaner or even a mower .. you still burning calories. It may not "constitute exercise" as exercise is known. BUT you are still burning calories either way.

You are "burning calories" while you sleep as well. To justify any movement as "burning calories" is meaningless without placing it in context.

This argument always breaks down along these lines whenever the question is raised. I have explained it numerous times before, so there is no point in going into it again.

Anyone can use whatever "accounting" system they want. At that level, it is nothing more than a psychological game, so anyone can make up whatever reality they need to motivate themselves.

From a physical standpoint, however, the effect is minimal. And someone who doesn't understand that, and who uses those "calories" as part of a computation of daily energy needs is going to be doing themselves a disservice in the long run. Your body will "keep score" with excruciating precision, regardless of what people write down on paper.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

You are "burning calories" while you sleep as well. To justify any movement as "burning calories" is meaningless without placing it in context.

This argument always breaks down along these lines whenever the question is raised. I have explained it numerous times before, so there is no point in going into it again.

Anyone can use whatever "accounting" system they want. At that level, it is nothing more than a psychological game, so anyone can make up whatever reality they need to motivate themselves.

From a physical standpoint, however, the effect is minimal. And someone who doesn't understand that, and who uses those "calories" as part of a computation of daily energy needs is going to be doing themselves a disservice in the long run. Your body will "keep score" with excruciating precision, regardless of what people write down on paper.

lol, owned