I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING - rant

Options
ClareWantsProgress
ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
So . . . after being badgered that it's time to accept defeat and go buy new clothes since I can't fit into anything in my closet any more, I braved the stores. BIG mistake. I live in a small town and work in a professional office, yet everything being marketed is for 14-year-olds. Sorry, but I can't wear pink lycra leggings with words written across the *kitten*, or ripped jeans with sequin butterflies on the back pockets. The reasonably decent clothes were available in two sizes: 4 or 28. The XXL jackets I was trying on I could not even get my arms into the sleeves, which were sized for a Barbie doll. Oh, but that's o.k., they had tons of "shrugs" - those microscopic "sweaters" that hit you mid-boob, have capped sleeves sure to make you look like a sausage, and that generally make you look like you are stealing clothes from your child's Pooh bear.
In order to find a dress that was long enough to sit down in, I had to go up 6 sizes. Forget skirts - the styles right now have a flat panel across the front guaranteed to make you look pregnant and cheerleader pleats to complete the awful look.
"But shopping is so much fun!!" some of you will say. Well, when you've tried on 30 pairs of pants and none fit, it's not fun any longer . . . if it ever was. /rant

Replies

• dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sounds quite frustrating! Have you thought about maybe online shopping instead?
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate clothes shopping too. *hugs*
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! finally another person who despises shopping as much as myself!!! I have a VERY akward shape so its VERY difficult to find clothes that fit, let alone appropriate for my age and job
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Are there any nearby towns that may have different styles available for you to try on? Sounds to me like you just don't have a very good variety of clothing available to you.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a day trip to somewhere that offers more of a selection. Once you do that and find stores that have sizes/styles that fit you, you can order online.

I too work in a professional office, I tend to stick with Black House White Market, Chicos, Limited, J Crew
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is why I order 90% of my clothes online...I found a couple of styles from Loft that fit me well, and so now my clothes from work just come from there. Shopping...*shudder*
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You're at the wrong store. I don't see pink leggings with words across the bum at the stores where I shop.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I hate clothes shopping. I only do it when there is something I absolutely need something. I'm hoping this attitude will change as I need to shop for smaller clothes. This is a huge motivation for me!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping too. I go in to try something I really wanna buy, and most of the time it doesn't look right on me. So frustrating! And I feel like I always wear the same thing! I think I may try online shopping..
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hear hear. Jeans shopping can completely ruin my day. And I'm short enough that I HAVE to shop in junior's. (While petite sizes are often short enough, they assume you are skinny, which I am not, and also have no boobs, which even at my SKINNIEST I had.) You are so not alone.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is why I order 90% of my clothes online...I found a couple of styles from Loft that fit me well, and so now my clothes from work just come from there. Shopping...*shudder*

Online shopping is "the bomb" so to speak. Take your measurements and find a store with free returns.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love to go shopping, and even though I live in a smallish Midwestern city, I feel like there are plenty of great options for work, dressy & casual in sizes near my own.

However, I expected shopping to get EASIER as I lost weight and it really has not. It's been the opposite so far.

For years I wore a 2X/3X top and liked them fairly baggy. Everything "fit" because I seemed to be like a dressmaker's dummy for the 2X/3X sizes. It was pretty rare for any of them too be drastically too large or too small. Now that I'm wearing a 1X top, it's such a mixed bag. I'm taller and HATE that most shirts that fit me properly now barely cover the tops of my hips. While I'm no longer embarrassed by my belly in pants and jeans (a nice benefit), I don't want tops that ride up when I stretch in any direction...but I also do not want long tunics! For the last couple of years, I was still getting 2X but suddenly after joining MFP and losing more weight the 2X tops show my bra and/or way too much cleavage. So those are totally out.

When I wore a size 22, I could walk into any secondhand/thrift store and find 10 cute pairs of dressy pants for a few bucks. Now I find NOTHING in size 18 or just a bunch of K Mart Jaclyn Smith pleated khakis and high waisted dress pants from 1990. It is so disturbing. I would not go back to a size 22 for anything but I still sometimes walk past that part of the plus rack and sigh. There are always such nice things hanging in the larger sizes!

I really think I've just gotta hang in there. Last week I tried on a bunch of dresses and they were all too big. So I tried on a couple of XL just for fun - I am not there at all yet, but they actually fit my proportions cuter. They still cling WAY too much to my hips and belly, though. 40-ish lbs ago I felt like I was such an easy fit for clothing and now I'm struggling!

Hang in there, lady!
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're going to have to shop at a store where the sizes are in even numbers, which are for missy not juniors, you'll have better luck than what's made for prepubescent girls with no hips or boobs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You're at the wrong store. I don't see pink leggings with words across the bum at the stores where I shop.

I've gotta admit, I was thinking the same thing - and I'm certainly not a high end shopper. I will browse anywhere and even get a lot of things secondhand!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Yeah that sounds quite frustrating! Have you thought about maybe online shopping instead?

I have, but nearly went broke with the return postage. (I have to try everything on - no two sizes from different brands fit the same way, so I have very poor luck with that.)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Same here. I tend to shop in the mens section, simply because it is so freaking simple. Give me my 38x32 jeans (God that's so embarrassing to admit, but I'm working on it!!) and an XL polo. Done. None of those hideous 3/4 sleeve shirts, ugly-@$$ capris, and tops with less fabric than a band-aid
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I hate clothes shopping too. I don't like the styles, gawdy colours of everything these days or legging - I have terrible trouble finding bottoms anyway, especially jeans, as my spine curves all over the place and theres always a huge gap at the back of the waist so tops don't sit right over it and if I sit down in them and my top rides up everyone is able to see loads of knicker argh!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Sorry, but you're going to have to shop at a store where the sizes are in even numbers, which are for missy not juniors, you'll have better luck than what's made for prepubescent girls with no hips or boobs.

I was at J.C. Penney's and Kohl's. The pink legging reference was to all of the stores in the mall that cater to teens. I didn't say I was actually shopping in those stores. The other department/clothes stores mentioned are nowhere around here.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Where were you shopping? Sounds like a junior department.

That said I love shopping and I love clothes. Buying crap ton of new clothes is one of my serious motivators.
  • Zlyph
    Zlyph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been the same way my whole life. Im on the last rung of my belt, and I told people when this belt doesnt fit anymore ill finally get new clothes... (my shirt is 3 sizes too large currently).

Im going to punch a new hole in it soon =D