I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING - rant

Options

Replies

• ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong then. Clothes shopping makes me all happy inside.

Please enlighten me as to how to do it "right" then. Spending hours and hours and hours online looking for something decent, only to find that it's not available in my size? Yes, that has worked SO well for me in the past. Driving three hours to an expensive store? We have one income at the moment.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Where were you shopping? Sounds like a junior department.

That said I love shopping and I love clothes. Buying crap ton of new clothes is one of my serious motivators.

I was NOT in the junior department. Even when I was a junior I didn't shop in the junior department. No, it was in the misses' department of JC Penney's and Kohl's. I am happy for you that you like to shop. I find it the single most depressing thing in the world.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Please enlighten me as to how to do it "right" then. Spending hours and hours and hours online looking for something decent, only to find that it's not available in my size? Yes, that has worked SO well for me in the past. Driving three hours to an expensive store? We have one income at the moment.

Most of the websites I've used have filters where you can only see what's available in your size.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i hate the cost of buying new clothes, but it feels great fitting into an xl or xxl after i was near 4xl
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're going to have to shop at a store where the sizes are in even numbers, which are for missy not juniors, you'll have better luck than what's made for prepubescent girls with no hips or boobs.

I was at J.C. Penney's and Kohl's. The pink legging reference was to all of the stores in the mall that cater to teens. I didn't say I was actually shopping in those stores. The other department/clothes stores mentioned are nowhere around here.

Ah...gotcha. I would consider making a trip to another town, finding which brand/size works for you (i.e. like I know Banana Republic/Martin style/size 10 works for me) and then just order online from now on. Ebay is also great.
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Sorry, I only shop at expensive stores. I am no help.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If moneys tight could you make some of your clothes last a bit longer by moving the button. I've moved the buttons over an inch or so on a few of my pairs of trousers and I think they still look ok with a baggier top :o)
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting some current clothes tailored?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing could have a lot to do with it.

I find it hard to buy button down shirts and suit jackets because my shoulders are broad and my back is big and muscular. It seems when I go up in a size the only thing that gets bigger are the sleeves. I am to the point where I will more than likely have to have tops custom made because of this.

I also have issues with pants because I'm 5'2" and most pants are too long.

*shrugs* It is what it is. I still enjoy shopping.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    If moneys tight could you make some of your clothes last a bit longer by moving the button. I've moved the buttons over an inch or so on a few of my pairs of trousers and I think they still look ok with a baggier top :o)

That is a great suggestion, and one that I have tried. My current problem is that my clothes are sooo old they are literally threadbare in places. I'm down to 2 skirts with elastic waists (both around 20 years old) and a couple of pairs of pants that fit, plus a few shapeless dresses.

I'm 45 years old, so please don't think I'm trying to fit into teenybopper junior clothes. I meant the pink legging reference as somewhat of a joke, which evidently most of you took as serious. *eye roll*
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank God someone who thinks like me,I hate any kind of shopping I get my groceries delivered!!!! its not that I cant get clothes to fit Im uk12 in pants and 14-16 in Tops its not a problem ,I just seriously dislike anything I see so I spend my life in hoodies and leggins,Im a sad case I know and I realise its not normal! when we were getting married 22 years ago I took the first dress that fit me,Im just chronic!!!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I was talking to my sister who is teeny tiny, barely 5' and barely 90 pounds (even after two kids), and even SHE feels the same. We think it's the styles that are prevalent out there for us young adults. Okay, I may be edging into Misses, but the Missus clothing is still for the most part too old like, and the Juniors is so ridiculous. The drapey styles so popular right now (you described them PERFECTLY) along with the jeggings and leggings...not for us adults. Especially those of us who work in an office.

I finally found a store that works with my new muscular curves - I went to Dress Barn and came back with some pants that fit wonderfully (other than needing them hemmed since I'm short), and a few really nice dresses that fit my curves perfectly.

I find ordering online doesn't work for this new body of mine. I used to know I was just double zero or whatever the smallest size was because I was anorexic and weighed 90 pounds and had a preteen body. Now, with this squat booty and defined arms and legs, I need to try stuff on. Otherwise, I end up ordering the wrong size, and it's really disappointing to be all excited about a package only to find that the clothes in that package are too small.

Good luck!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Have you thought about getting some current clothes tailored?

I have, but since my clothes are generally all around 20 years old, the fabric is just wearing out.
  • nilbogger
    Options

I find it hard to buy button down shirts and suit jackets because my shoulders are broad and my back is big and muscular. It seems when I go up in a size the only thing that gets bigger are the sleeves. I am to the point where I will more than likely have to have tops custom made because of this.

That sounds like the opposite of vanity sizing.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I cant stand shopping......
    and there are options here in central FL.
    i just hate it..
    i shop only when i MUST.

It sucks about your options. Perhaps at some point you can travel out of city to another area to shop at stores more accommodating?
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I am needing to buy new clothes for a new job. It is either overpriced, not the right style for the job, or missing my size. I went to Dress Barn, which says sizes 4 to something on the door. Still 70% of the 4's were not available. It is frustrating to shift through a ton of clothes to find what you like only to not see it available. I find that when I was a 6 and 12, those were my easiest sizes to find. Then of course there is vanity sizing and the fact that there are lots of shapes to women. Oh, and I do not want a sleeveless dress.

I seriously decided to take a few of my best pieces into an alteration shop. This was much easier. A nice suit costs pretty pennies but I just got my barely worn one altered for $55. That was my most expensive alteration but worth it. (Will be wearing more formal clothes in new job).
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Not with the OP's issue. She said that the sizes she was trying to fit in to are too small. Sizes in general have gotten smaller so an XL size now is probably more like a medium.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Me too and shoe shopping is the worse! Online baby online
  • nilbogger
    Options

Not with the OP's issue. She said that the sizes she was trying to fit in to are too small. Sizes in general have gotten smaller so an XL size now is probably more like a medium.

No, that's not vanity sizing. Vanity sizing would mean the new medium fits more like a large or extra large.

Trust me, stores aren't playing into vanity by making the clothes smaller.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You are definitely shopping in the wrong store. Your profile doesn't say your age, but it sounds like you need to get your tushy out of the juniors section and shop in the misses or women's. I had a reaaallly hard time with that when I got my first real job, but that's where the nice clothes are.

When you're trying to fit clothes to your new body, you're going to go through ALOT of trial and error with different stores, different fits, and sizes. The best places (that I find) clothing that are professional, but hip/trendy are TJ Maxx, Target, and consignment shops. I'm a sale shopper and never buy anything full price, so it means spending a lot of time digging through the racks.