protein help

Options
So have been aiming for around 100g protein daily. I thought I ate lots of high protein foods, but am seeing that I am still having a hard time getting enough protein.

My protein staples:

chicken
eggs
plain greek yogurt
cottage cheese
protein powder
peanut butter
can tuna

Any other ideas for me on protein rich foods I am missing out on?
*I dont have a lot of $, so nothing too pricey
*I have really bad dental problems, and cant chew anything too firm (no nuts, can't chew steak, etc. Anything firmer than say a banana is difficult/painful for me to chew)

Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• abbyrmichel
    Options
    Egg Whites :)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ground nuts? As in ground almonds etc?
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Something like salmon is good if you need a balance of protein and fat, otherwise, trying eating slightly larger amounts of what you are having already, get them when they're on offer!
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    why do you want to eat so much protein? just curious, since your daily goal puts you at around 50g...
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I personally like canned salmon better than tuna, so that would be one suggestion.

A quick meal can be made out of canned chicken, a little mayo and some relish/sliced pickles that's kind of tasty. Canned chicken is usually pretty soft and easy to chew.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i just did the same thing.. my goal is 100 grams and i get it pretty easy now. check out my diary. i eat a lot of protein
  • professorhuggins
    Options
    tofu is both soft and high in protein...if you like it. i love it pan-fried in coconut oil with dried red pepper flakes and ginger powder, topped with a little sesame seeds and some soy sauce. yum!!!
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    100g is alot. I would have a hard time reaching that without some kind of protein shake. Nuts and avocados can be added to what you are already eating tho. Try mixing the tuna in with the avocado. It's pretty good.
    1 cup of avocado slices contains about 2.9g of protein
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your dairy, IMO, you could make these small changes to get additional protein:

1. Use egg whites rather than whole eggs for breakfast. Try one whole egg and 3 egg whites rather than whole eggs. You'll save fat calories and get additional protein.
    2. Eat more. Try eating 6 oz of chicken rather than 4 oz. Not a huge amount change and it gives you more protein.
    3. I try to limit the amount of nut butters because of the amount of fat. There are good things from nut butters such as healthy fats, fibers, and protein, but often I think people see them as a high protein food when that really isn't the case. The benefits to nut butters, IMO, come from the healthy fats and fiber instead of the protein.
    4. Try a different protein powder. I see that the one you use has 16 grams/protein per scoop. Try something like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard that has 120 calories and 24 grams/protein per scoop. That one change increases your protein by 33% per scoop.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Fish, pork, beef? Those are great protein sources.
  • sunshinesaltwater
    Options
    tofu is both soft and high in protein...if you like it. i love it pan-fried in coconut oil with dried red pepper flakes and ginger powder, topped with a little sesame seeds and some soy sauce. yum!!!

This sounds awesome- I have never had tofu, but am up for trying anything, and I love me some coconut oil.
    Definately going to make this, thank you.

Oh, and I am trying to get lots of protein because I have learned over the years, that I personally loose the most weight with a high protein diet.
    I have about 40+ pounds of baby weight to lose (just had baby #4) and I definately don't want to end up "skinny fat" - want to preserve and build as much muscle mass as possible- so from my understanding lots of protein helps with that.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Fish, pork, beef? Those are great protein sources.

This. I was having problems hitting my protein counts. Lately, I've been eating a lot of tilapia, cod and flounder because you can eat a lot of it. Calorie counts are low, protein counts are high. Greek yogurt also packs a solid protein punch.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Add a protein powder to your greek yogurt for a treat.

Lean ground beef is really good with the protein to fat ratio, and easy to chew compared to beef that isn't ground.
  • sunshinesaltwater
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your dairy, IMO, you could make these small changes to get additional protein:

1. Use egg whites rather than whole eggs for breakfast. Try one whole egg and 3 egg whites rather than whole eggs. You'll save fat calories and get additional protein.
    2. Eat more. Try eating 6 oz of chicken rather than 4 oz. Not a huge amount change and it gives you more protein.
    3. I try to limit the amount of nut butters because of the amount of fat. There are good things from nut butters such as healthy fats, fibers, and protein, but often I think people see them as a high protein food when that really isn't the case. The benefits to nut butters, IMO, come from the healthy fats and fiber instead of the protein.
    4. Try a different protein powder. I see that the one you use has 16 grams/protein per scoop. Try something like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard that has 120 calories and 24 grams/protein per scoop. That one change increases your protein by 33% per scoop.

Awesome advice- thank you for taking the time to look at my diary.
    I am kinda partial to my protein powder, its organic, low in sugar, affordable, and easily available at my grocery store (all important to me) - but yes, maybe I should look into other protein powder options.
    Good point about the nut butters- never thought of it that way.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars are very good. Not a lot of junk in them, and about 20g of protein per bar. Plus lots of fiber. They are a bit stiff right out of the wrapper but are very tasty and soften right up if you microwave them for about 10 seconds. Tastes like a soft cookie right from the oven.
  • professorhuggins
    Options
    congrats on baby #4! good luck on losing the baby weight, my wife (and I by proxy) are working on getting her back in shape after #3 in april.

chickpeas and other beans are also a good protein source...make your own hummus and have it with carrot slices or cucumber if the carrots are too hard for your dental issues.
  • sunshinesaltwater
    Options
    congrats on baby #4! good luck on losing the baby weight, my wife (and I by proxy) are working on getting her back in shape after #3 in april.

chickpeas and other beans are also a good protein source...make your own hummus and have it with carrot slices or cucumber if the carrots are too hard for your dental issues.

congrats on #3!
    my husband makes awesome homemade hummus, and yes, I use cucumbers instead of the carrots- thanks for the reminder about beans, had slipped my mind.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Try a different protein powder. I see that the one you use has 16 grams/protein per scoop. Try something like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard that has 120 calories and 24 grams/protein per scoop. That one change increases your protein by 33% per scoop.

This is a great idea!!!!!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wheat and peanut butter makes a complete protein. Choose good, low GI whole wheat and a good fat profile PB.
  • eabogue
    eabogue Posts: 12
    Options
    Fish, tofu, P2B, almond butter...