Large Portion Ideas Needed

Options
TheLongRunner
TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
Ok...so I like to eat. I specifically like volume when I eat...in other words, I want a BIG meal. LOL

So I am looking for your favorite meal/snack/recipe ideas where you get a large portion for the calories. I have recently been eating spaghetti squash in place of pasta and that makes for a big meal. I also add steamed veggies to pretty much everything to bulk up my meals. What to do you do? Any ideas for a hungry hungry hippo like me? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'd like some ideas for this topic, too! I am having trouble with feeling slightly hungry after every meal. Would love that full feeling while staying within my calorie range. I was going to suggest steamed broccoli - you can eat a ton, and maybe air-popped popcorn.

We've been eating a lot of fresh halibut lately, and it's low in calories, too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I cut up summer squash, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and sometimes tomato and cook them in a pie plate in my nuwave oven. Add a bit of veg/chicken broth and whatever spices you like. A whole pie plate-full of yum for maybe 50 calories.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I find eating things high in protein fills me up as long as I eat slowly, and I don't need a huge amount, but I definitely understand wanting to have a big plate of yummy food in front of you. Try to add eggs, fish, chicken or good quality grains to your normal go-tos.

One recipe I really like lately in quinoa mixed with chicken (fake for me - Quorn cutlets) black beans, mozzarella cheese and salsa. Depending on the ratios I use, I can eat a pretty large amount for 350 cals and the quinoa expands and keeps me full for a LONG time.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies: I love Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, parsnips, sweet potato, and egg plant. Garnish with thinly sliced kale for the last five minutes of cooking. Eggplant is awesome because its so meaty! Try ratatouille as a side too.

Make a big salad:)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    And if you like eggs/omelets, add some liquid egg whites to a whole egg. A whole egg has 70 calories, but 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites is only 25, so you can eat a lot more of it. But keep one whole egg in the mix, it makes it more satisfying. I add mushrooms and spinach to mine--big omelet but little calories.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Sole or tilapia marinated in Newman's Own light lime dressing, grilled, along with angel hair coleslaw mix, made with the same dressing. Low calorie, healthy, easy and filling, as you can eat a ton!
  • backto2009
    Options
    Potatoes are basically one of the most filling foods you can eat on a calorie/volume basis. I'm not including French Fries in that statement :)

Do you like spicy food? If so try a vegetable curry with potatoes and spinach. The spice seems to help create a 'full up' feeling as well.

If not then perhaps something like a spanish tortilla (like a potato omellete).

Or, how about a bowl of steamed new potatoes with a drop of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, then serve with something green and a low fat meat or fish portion, maybe with a fresh salsa on the side.
  • lilly684
    lilly684 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I have yet to try that! but have not picked one up. Thank you for reminding me :D

Other than that, most of what I do is add cut up vegetables and sometimes fruits. I've never used liquid egg, but I do enjoy egg whites from a boiled egg topped with pepper or mustard and paprika. I like to boil about six eggs at once then just keep them handy in the fridge for breakfast, brunches and snacks. Also they are a good edition to a toasty sandwich with veggies.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    And if you like eggs/omelets, add some liquid egg whites to a whole egg. A whole egg has 70 calories, but 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites is only 25, so you can eat a lot more of it. But keep one whole egg in the mix, it makes it more satisfying. I add mushrooms and spinach to mine--big omelet but little calories.

I'm going to try this, that's a great idea!
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is Vegetarian Black Bean Chili. One cup is only 184 calories, so you can eat two servings for under 400. It's so filling with all the veggies, that I can rarely eat more than a 1 and 1/2 servings though.

Nutrition Facts:

1 serving= 1 cup
    Makes 6 servings

Calories: 184 calories
    Fat: 0.6g
    Carbs: 34.3g
    Fiber: 8.2g
    Sugars: 5.1g
    Protein: 9.8g

Here is the recipe:

1 chopped green bell pepper (sometimes I use 1/2 chopped green and 1/2 chopped red... really whatever you would like)
    1 chopped onion
    1 chopped Anaheim or poblano pepper
    Cooking spray
    2 cloves of minced garlic
    2 cans of black beans (sometimes I use 1 can black and 1 can of multi-bean blend for some variety, I always use organic, low sodium though)
    1 can of Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chiles - low sodium again
    1/4 cup water
    2 TB of chili powder
    1 Tsp of cumin, cilantro, cayenne, whatever you like (I usually use more than this because I like my food very spicy)

-Chop up peppers and onion and mince garlic.
    -Sautee veggies and garlic in a pot sprayed with a little cooking spray
    -Once vegetables are soft, dump in the can of diced tomatoes (Do not drain! This is important because the liquid part serves as the base of the sauce.) and 1/4 cup of water.
    -Drain, rinse, and dump in both cans of beans.
    -Season it to your heart's desire with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and cilantro.
    -Let it simmer for a while to allow the spices to mesh.
    -EAT!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have found that I like to "mindlessly" eat. So instead of a bag of chips, I take a whole plate piled with raw veggies or my lunch tradition BAS (Big A Salad - stolen idea from Mark Sisson). I have actually found my limit with a BAS. I usually make a giant salad bowl with whatever is in fridge, plus some leftover from the night before. Pile it high. Light on the dressing. Add fork. Then mindless eating becomes healthy and sometimes the portion is so big I just give up.

Brothy things are good too. I am fond of bone broth for being filling. I make soup, but don't load it down with ingredients until it's thick like stew. Keep it loose and flowing. I don't do crackers but sometimes might add a cheese stick on the side. Then I do all I can eat until I'm over it.

Go with smaller plates. I'm also a big eater and that trick helps sometimes. I need to feel like I had all I could and did not have less than somebody else for some reason. So the smaller plate mind tricks me. Or I load the plate with the healthier choices and less of the unhealthy - so it still looks big.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Soupe au pistou. Google for recipes, or the shorthand cheat's version is this:

Boil a big bunch of vegetables (a frozen bag, some peeled diced tomato, throw in a can of chickpeas or beans too). Stock cube optional. In each bowlful add a big dollop of pesto to flavor the broth.