Fingers swelling during walking

Options
I walk around 3.4 miles a day, and my fingers swell when I walk even though I try to swing my arms high when I stride. Sometimes I even clench my fists on the upswing, but I can't keep it up for long, though it does seem to help some. Does anyone know what is going on and/or what I can do about it?

Thanks

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Mine do the same thing. Seems common from the other posts I've seen here. Hopefully someone will have suggestions. I'm about ready to start walking with my hands on my head! Lol
  • mabedrick
    mabedrick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had this issue years ago. My doctor said it was too much salt in my diet.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Happened to me all the time while walking/running. Trapped fluid and/or increased blood flow. As long as it goes back down after your walk, you're fine. I found that the more I ran, the less I had that issue.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    pumping your hands will help move the fluid while you're walking. It's just blood/fluid building up since gravity is pulling it down. Massage hands/arms before and after.

Used to happen to me all the time... now its only occasionally but I hadn't thought much about it until reading this post!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Happens to me too, can be painful. Bumping to read more replies
  • Nu_Journee
    Nu_Journee Posts: 29
    Options
    It happens when you exercise in the warmer weather. It scared me when I started running last year. I researched and found it's nothing to worry about and it disappears once you go inside and "cool down".
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Try, as goofy as it will feel at first, pumping your arms like you are jogging, so keeping your elbows bent. This lessens the amount of fluid going to the hands.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have this happen when I run/walk my 5K's. I notice it's worse when it's hot/humid, but it goes away after so I figure it's normal/okay
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Mine did this as well. Also, do your legs ever itch...I mean really itch, after you've been walking for about 15-20 minutes?
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Mine do this when my sodium intake is higher. Try lowering your sodium in your diet.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Interested in the responses! Did a a 5 mile hike and had this happen
  • Pipenny
    Pipenny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time!

Bump
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I think it is a combination of sodium intake and the warm weather - but either way from what I hear it is normal.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thought it was just me. Glad to see I am not alone and all the responses.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Many backpacks actually have little loops to hook your thumbs in as you walk.
  • SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It happens to me while walking some of the time. I make sure to drink lots of water right after I walk. It goes away so quickly that I never think about it...until I'm walking again.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My hands did this as well but it has lessened with every pound I have lost. I have attributed it to another issue with carrying excess poundage but I really don't know.