how much water do you drink?

Options
I had been aiming for the 64 ounce goal on MFP but see some are doing a lot more - like 192 ounces (1.5 gallons).

what's the best formula for success with water?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Your bodyweight halved in ounces.

0.5 ounces x Body Weight in Pounds = Daily Fluid Requirement in ounces
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So many variables - how active you are, how hot the weather is, how much salty food you've eaten, and your overall fluid intake. Personally, I know I feel better if I have around the recommended 8 glasses a day, but I pay attention to my thirst and my pee color. If it's light yellow to nearly clear, I'm good. More yellow = need more water.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I drink about 100+ ounces a day.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

hmmm hadn't seen this before. so around 95 (what i did yesterday) is about right.

thanks!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I drink 100+ ounces everyday
  • melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

Yup. That's what I go by. But I always exceed that amount. Mostly because I find I feel better when I drink a lot of water. I average about a gallon a day.
  • kosuke081
    kosuke081 Posts: 69
    Options
    Body weight halved in ounces is what my mom taught me, so I'm glad to see this is what others have said. Minimum I've been trying for since I got on this site is 2 liters (2.1 quarts). I try to drink that at work, then maybe another half liter when I get home.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is personal preference. According to the formula posted above, I should be drinking 82.5 oz a day. I drink about 105oz per day.. and like I said, it's just my preference. I don't think it'll help me lose weight any faster, I just enjoy drinking water!
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options

That useful to know!

I drink at least 8 glasses (as recommended) daily at least, but been told by the gp you can drink too much water.. which i found strange???
  • p2smommy
    p2smommy Posts: 64
    Options
    I've never heard the bodyweight halved in ounces, but I guess I'm doing that anyway. :)

I typically try my best to get anywhere from 12-16 8oz glasses a day. There are some days where I only manage 10 - but more often than not, I'm somewhere around 14 a day. I find that I just FEEL better if I take that much in.. Don't know that it makes me feel full more.. but it definitely makes me feel better. I always watch my urine, and if I see it's getting murky or more yellow than on the clear side, I up my water intake.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weigh 135ish and I drink almost a gallon a day on days I workout.

The very best thing to do to drink water all day is drink some first thing in the morning BEFORE coffee. I drink a cup or two with vitamins...then I drink my coffee and then another cup of water. Doing this seems to turn on my thirst mechanism and I am thirsty ALL day... I can easily drink 12-16 cups when I make an effort to drink first thing in the morning :-)

My skin and energy level are both much better when I do this.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

This is what I do though I add about 10-20% because I have a medication that dehydrates me.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I usually gulp about half my body weight in ounces so right now that's about 85 ounces a day. That's my daily intake. I do believe that is the formula we are supposed to follow.

However i typically aim for at least a gallon when possible although it doesnt always happen. Depends on my activity for the day. =)
  • kenzietate
    Options

That useful to know!

I drink at least 8 glasses (as recommended) daily at least, but been told by the gp you can drink too much water.. which i found strange???

That takes a heck of a lot more water than people think. It is more about water in a short time then actually too much. Your kidneys can only handle about 800-1000mL an hour so don't drink more than that per hour and you won't have any issues. (found an article on WebMD if you want to look it up)
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Your kidneys can only handle about 800-1000mL an hour so don't drink more than that per hour and you won't have any issues. (found an article on WebMD if you want to look it up)
    [/quote]

really? that's only 32 ounces or so. i down my nalgene in 5 minutes or so.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have a water bottle that holds 20ounces of water, I try to drink at least 4 of those a day, but usually I drink more (around 5 or 6) 100 plus ounces a day. I didn't know the equation about multiplying your weight by .5 though. That's good to know.
  • kenzietate
    Options
    Your kidneys can only handle about 800-1000mL an hour so don't drink more than that per hour and you won't have any issues. (found an article on WebMD if you want to look it up)
    really? that's only 32 ounces or so. i down my nalgene in 5 minutes or so.

I think it is more of like don't drink a gallon of water an hour all day or you will flood your system. I drink my water really quickly sometimes but then don't drink for like an hour or so.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options

That useful to know!

That takes a heck of a lot more water than people think. It is more about water in a short time then actually too much. Your kidneys can only handle about 800-1000mL an hour so don't drink more than that per hour and you won't have any issues. (found an article on WebMD if you want to look it up)

Found it Thank you ;)