Help with Plantar Fasciitis

Options
I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for about a year now, I've tried multiple things including: stretching in the morning with a resistance band, frozen water bottle, towel, bought new shoes, rested multiple days between gym days, and sleep with a boot at night to keep my foot stretched out! I'm at a loss of what else to do! Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have you been using the boot for awhile?

I had it for about a year and it finally got better when I wore the boot at night for two straight weeks.
  • wpanderson
    wpanderson Posts: 194
    Options
    I've used the boot for a couple months now, of course not exactly consistently, a lot of the time I wake up and I've taken it off in my sleep! I'll keep trying with the boot!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I actually had fairly good luck with the gel pad Velcro wraps that go around your arch. I wear them all the time now when I am at home in socks or barefoot, and also with a few pairs of flats where I can get away with it and not have them too visible. :) I had a horrible few months dealing with PF and am much more careful now about buying good, supportive shoes. Lesson learned the hard way!!!

Stretching daily, the boot, and doing exercises like picking up socks with my toes all helped get past the worst of it. Now I'm in a "preventative" mode since I don't want that agony again!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to take a trip to see a podiatrist.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I had PF something terrible, and nothing helped until I lost weight. The problem completely disappeared.

Not a fix for now, but another reason to go get your goal and something to look forward too!!
  • jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How are your shoes? I find that I have to wear supportive shoes 24/7. Even inside I wear crocks with arch support as my indoor "slippers." I also use Superfeet insoles in all of my shoes (greens are most popular). Also, when working out you need properly fitted supportive shoes. For running some examples would include: Saucony Guide series, Nike Structure, Asics GT2000, and many more... a running store would be able to help there. Finally, try rolling a tennis ball on your foot whiile sitting, it'll keep your foot stretched out.

No bare feet! I used to wear flip flops all summer... not any more. :-(

Best of luck!
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    I had PF something terrible, and nothing helped until I lost weight. The problem completely disappeared.

Not a fix for now, but another reason to go get your goal and something to look forward too!!

Yeah I still think she should go to a podiatrist. While I am sure that weight could be a factor for some I know plenty of thin people who have suffered from this issue.

OP: Seriously. Go to a doctor. They will probably give you cortizone shots and anti inflammatories. My husband had it really bad and it took over a year to heal and that was with going to a foot doctor and doing everything he said to do.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had issues with P.F. as well. I was given all that you have done except I also was given steroid injections in my foot plus I had orthotics made for my shoes. I think that these 2 items along with the bedtime boot helped out a lot!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I've had plantar fasciitis for about a year as well. It's getting better (slowly), but I think one of the best things I bought for myself were slippers designed to help those with PF (http://www.orthoticshop.com/orthaheel-gemma-orthotic-slipper.html). I have shoes that help with arch support, but the minute I get home from work I take off my shoes and put on my slippers. So comfortable and they really help me.

Good luck to you!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went to a podiatrist 20 years ago, and was out of $350 for a flappy piece of rubber they called an insole. Plantar got severe twice in my life. I went to GOOD FEET. It was hel getting used to walking on that hard thing in my shoes, and I thought again that I had been cheated. But after a week I was able to take my walks again. The more I wore them the better I got. I went on-line and ordered a pair for all of my sneakers. Forward to now, because I stopped wearing the inserts after 20 - they were old and chipping. Heel pain returning, I went to Ebay and ordered three pairs. Had to get used to them again but I thank goodness for this ugly hard piece of merchandise. A lot of people can't take it and they give up before it starts to help them. I can't do without them. They help the plantar and the ball of foot pain I have. I hope you find some relief.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    After having limited success with stretching using a resistance band I got some inserts for my work shoes and gym trainers (http://www.scholl.com/en-GB/orthaheelproductrange/Page.raction). Still keep a golf ball in my desk draw at work, to roll my foot on throughout the day in case it flares up, but so far I've not had any problems for over months.

I think youve got to take some time off from doing exercising that is put strain on the foot and keep stretching, then gradually increase amount of exercise.
  • wpanderson
    Options
    I know that weight loss will be an ultimate solution and I'm towards that! I do wear shoes even at home in my pajamas! I have a new pair of Asics that I work out in. I have been completely devastated to not be able to wear my pretty sandals this summer! I want to be back in my high heels as well! I'm off of work right now but as a teacher I'm on my feet all day long and I'm going to have to buy more arc support straps when school starts back!
  • jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Yeah I still think she should go to a podiatrist. While I am sure that weight could be a factor for some I know plenty of thin people who have suffered from this issue.

OP: Seriously. Go to a doctor. They will probably give you cortizone shots and anti inflammatories. My husband had it really bad and it took over a year to heal and that was with going to a foot doctor and doing everything he said to do.

I agree that a podiatrist idea is a good one. Hold off on cortizone and other injections until you've tried EVERYTHING else. You're way too young for that stuff. Also, don't buy the $500 inserts. The Superfeet I mentioned earlier cost $35 on amazon, it they don't help you're not out anything. They're lifesavers for me.
  • wpanderson
    Options
    The doctor was the person who suggested my boot, and my foot is feeling better now that it has in months and I've been working out more than I have in months but I wanted to see what everyone else does to maintain or to work with flare ups! Thanks for the advice!
  • allweatherheather
    Options
    Definitely go to a podiatrist, preferably one that understands you need to be active in your current body.

I am very fat and I have chronic pf. I say chronic because it sometimes flares up after certain activities or wearing the wrong shoes, but a stretching regimen (multiple times a day, my tight hamstrings and calves are part of the problem), Ibuprofen, ice, and pt exercises usually get a bad flareup under control for me in a couple weeks. I also don't go barefoot, which aggravates my pf. Over time I also changed all of my shoes and found a better fit helped, as did OTC arch supports (they helped so much I never progressed to the "try orthotics" stage).

This treatment was suggested by a podiatrist I FINALLY went to after having somewhat crippling pf for 2 years, believing it would not go away until i lost weight.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I had PF... went to podiatrist and got expensive custom orthotics ($400). I went strictly to tennis shoes with the orthotics - luckily my job is very casual. I even wore the tennis shoes around the house - no going barefoot and it cleared up without steroid shots, etc. When those started wearing out, I went to Walmart and got the Scholls inserts that are around $50. They work great - I actually like them much better than the custom ones.

I had a stone bruise years ago from doing aerobics on concrete flooring. I got a steroid shot in my foot for that and it hurt like a m*thr F'er. It cleared up the problem but I would never willingly do that again!
  • JustJennie1
    Options

I agree that a podiatrist idea is a good one. Hold off on cortizone and other injections until you've tried EVERYTHING else. You're way too young for that stuff. Also, don't buy the $500 inserts. The Superfeet I mentioned earlier cost $35 on amazon, it they don't help you're not out anything. They're lifesavers for me.

"Too young for cortizone"? What?? That is for pain.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    www.thesock.com

a very comfortable night splint that should help.....and it is the most comfortable one on the market - i've tried them all.
  • sjlocklear
    sjlocklear Posts: 88
    Options
    My hubby has this and I got him the walk fit shoe inserts and he hasnt had any trouble with his since.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have a hard plastic ball with little nubs on it --- almost like the bottom of soccer cleets.

I FREAKING LOVE IT. Just roll one on the bottom of your foot & it loosens EVERYTHING and your feet feel NORMAL again!!!