Going crazy with standstill numbers on the scale!

Options
I dropped 30 lbs in about 2.5 months starting back in Feb. Now its been about 2.5 months and I have lost between 3-7 lbs that fluctuates. I also couldn't exercise much in the first two months due to injury but was very strict with a paleo plan all week except Sunday which was a treat day.
One other thing, I did have a cortisone epidural when all this weight loss slowed WAY down... Maybe that is still messing with me?
Now I've been working out slowly but steadily, I even started 30 day shred 6 days ago and doing extra walking on top of that. I eat 1200 calories about 5 days a week and then seem to slip to closer to 1800-2000 on the other days. In the past, 3 perfect days in a row would definitely show weight loss but not now, now I am so stuck! I know I have gained muscle but really how many pounds of muscle could a girl 5'6ish gain in 6-8 weeks? It' not like I'm training and until 6 days ago I was not even working legs or lower body at the gym just moderate walking or biking (20-30mins) and lifting upper-body.

I'm gonna take some measurements tonight and start looking at that more... But after so much chicken breast and salad I expect more on the scale. I still have 50 lbs to go!

I think I need to trash my scale because after a 5 days or a week of such hard work in a row a Sunday weigh in will set me off and make me feel like crap and I find myself throat deep in a doughnut or something ridiculous.

I welcome stories of similar stand stills and how to overcome it.

Replies

• Rossa59
    Rossa59 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I reached a plateau 6-7 weeks ago after losing 1.5-2lbs a week steadily since January. Couldn't even shift a pound a week. After reading several threads on MFP, it seems that my metabolism has settled into a new pattern, using what my body needs and storing the rest. I have a very sedentary life with not as much exercise as you are doing and I eat 1400-1500 cals a day. (5'10" with 21lbs to go). Like you I was getting frustrated but then went on holiday for 2 weeks. Had my usual breakfast but decided to eat what I wanted for the rest of the time.

When I came back, I'd put on 3lbs but then lost 5lbs in 2 weeks! The idea of eating more for a while is counter intuitive but does work. You may see a weight gain for a short time but that seems to kick start your metabolism again when you go back into deficit to enable you to break through the plateau and carry on with the weight loss.

I'm not a gym bunny or exercise fiend and I'm sure you'll get lots of other advice. My experience just proves that sometimes you have to go against what you've been doing and then start again. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens when you go back to your usual routine.
  • ascends831
    ascends831 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and have for 5 days or so done just that - ate more and thought I would come back and be ready to go again and lose fast. I lost about 3-4 lbs a week for weeks in the beginning. <--- done this a few times too!
    I guess I've lived with this weight for sooo long It's not gonna be a fast fix. Damn I so wanted to be in a 2 pc suit by August. mayeb next year at this rate.

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    As we get closer to goal, the weight comes off more slowly. New or increased exercise can cause some fluid retention as muscles heal and repair themselves, which can show as a gain or stall on the scale.

If you're not already, start taking measurements and progress photos at least once a month. Ofthen the scale is busy messing with your head while the tape will show inches lost.

Are you clothes fitting any better, getting loose? Also, have you adjusted your calorie goal at all since losing the initial weight? Your body has changed, likely your caloric needs have as well - increased activity and weight lost make a difference.

If you could make your diary public so we could take a look at what you're eating, it would be easier to offer advice there. :smile:
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Go with how your clothes fit. Take heart! You are probably building muscle.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMR and TDEE? That would be a start. 1200 is generally too low and your body has most likely decided it doesn't like being deprived and is hanging onto whatever it can get. FYI, I'm 5'2" and eat 1500 to maintain 115 lbs. So does 1200 for you sound like a good idea?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,757 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, though I'm stalling and still have another 60-70 lbs to go! I do have some hormone issues, so that could be it with me.

Anyhow, I was reading on a fitness site that we can gain up to a pound of muscle a week. Not sure if it's true and unfortunately, I don't remember the site I read it on to refer it to you, but I'd been looking up protein at the time and how much I should eat. I too am not working out like you (have limitations due to nerve damage), so I might have to shake things up a bit too if this continues!
  • ascends831
    Options
    If I have gained 4 lbs in muscle in these last weeks I would be happy to not see so much on the scale... I wish I knew more about how muscle gain works. I'll look into it. Thanks!
  • ascends831
    Options
    I am eating what MFP says to. And a few days a week I do get more calories. I eat when I am hungry and do not feel tired or like I am deprived at all. I have always had a slower metabolism. And this lack of losing is making me feel like its not getting faster from the exercise. Also, i really shouldn't eat more protein and I don't want to add in more starch because that does not work for my body as it stores fat with these foods immediatly. I can only eat so many veggies a day and they have so few calories! I eat only whole foods on my good days.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MFP gives almost everyone 1200 if you select you want to loose 2lbs a week. Your body is different then my body and your activity is different then my activity. So please check out your TDEE. This will give you a more accuracte reading on how many calories you should consume.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Most people when starting with MFP tends to stick 2lb lost per week as there goals, but this isnt sustainable in the long term, as you lose the wieght its going to come off at a slower rate the closer you are to your goals. So maybe set it to lose 1.5lb for a month to see if that gets everything going, if it works and in a few months hit another walk, set it to 1lb a month conintuing till your at your goals.

We all would love to lose 2lb a week till we hit our goal but weightloss isnt linear.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle, certainly not 4lbs of it. To gain muscle you have to lift heavy and eat at a surplus for quite awhile.

As others have said, if you've set MFP with a goal to lose 2lbs a week, change it to .5 or 1lb a week at the most. This is much more attainble at this point, and will most likely give you better success.

You could also check out the TDEE method - great info on finding your BMR and TDEE and eating in between those numbers for awesome fat loss here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 I've had my best success and finally hit goal weight since following the plan there.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I am eating what MFP says to. And a few days a week I do get more calories. I eat when I am hungry and do not feel tired or like I am deprived at all. I have always had a slower metabolism. And this lack of losing is making me feel like its not getting faster from the exercise. Also, i really shouldn't eat more protein and I don't want to add in more starch because that does not work for my body as it stores fat with these foods immediatly. I can only eat so many veggies a day and they have so few calories! I eat only whole foods on my good days.

Forgive me but all you have to do is change the OP's name and you get the same story over and over. "I'm the special snowflake with the really low metabolism that has to live on lettuce to lose."

Unless you've had a lot of medical testing by people specializing in the field you don't know you have a slow metabolism. Ver, very few people actually do and it's usually accompanied by an illness. You are drastically under eating most days with the odd blow out of garbage food. Your body is rebelling. It hates you. It isn't going to co operate with you until you start feeding it properly so it can do it's work. You may be eating what MFP says but MFP is spewing back math at you based on what you ask it for. It does math and expects you to apply common sense. Please try to understand BMR and TDEE and eat accordingly instead of fooling yourself that you can be full and happy and healthy on under 1,000 calories a day most days.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hear ya dear, but there is a way out!! In February of this year I had lost 23 pounds, then I took my niece into my home, my busy time of the year came around, AND I suffered an achilles tendon injury on top of it all stunting any working out that I could really do because I had to heal it. And achilles injuries do not heal quickly by any means.... I watched what I ate pretty well and did as much working out as my body could handle without hurting the tendon. 2 1/2 months later I pick back up my running (June of this year) and I am back at it. I didn't gain a ton of weight, but after losing so much, it's so frustrating when you gain 5 lbs back. Now I am starting to see the tape measure AND scale move again! First off, always use the tape measure because the scale is a jerk and goes only by weight. I weight quite a bit for my height and my BMI says I am close to overweight, but my body fat % says otherwise.

Anyways, I changed up my eating routine AGAIN and now I am using 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) for my macros. It's hard because I love carbs, but there are so many alternatives to healthy eating, you just have to bite the bullet and spend the money on those veggies and fruit that kill the wallet. I also have started cross training quite a bit. I run 2-3 times a week, weight lift (12-15 reps of a heavy weight and DO IT SLOW) 2 times and mix in elliptical or a mile jog afterwards, and swim laps either 1-2 times a week. Also, I am eating betweeen 1500-1900 calories a day depending on how hungry I am and how much I worked out. Somedays it's a real struggle for me to eat enough calories because if you are eating the right foods, you are full for longer and most of those foods are low cal! Mix in a protein shake too because protein is what will keep the muscle strong, taste great for when you have a sweet tooth, and will help up your caloric intake. I am just getting over my plateau hill and really starting to lose again and it feels great. Have patience because plateaus sometimes takes weeks or months to get over, but don't give up because you will become more fit with time and lose the extra "stuff".
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau about 6 weeks in. I didn't loose anything. Then gained four pounds. Didn't loose anything then loosed 4 lbs followed by 5. Our bodies work differently than we want often. You are doing great. Don't get discouraged. Keep pushing in. The lbs will come off
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Another thing, if you have been eating at 1200 calories, if you do choose to up the caloric intake do it slowly. Your body isn't used to taking in so many calories so you have to get the body used to the higher numbers slower. Like up to 1300 for two weeks, and so on and so forth. Otherwise, your body, which isn't used to eating as much, may choose to store it instead of using it to burn away the stuff we don't want. I really do think that upping your intake and changing up your routine of workouts regularly will help get you off the plateau. Despite being a woman, weight lifting is VERY GOOD for you too. It helps burn up the glycogen stores and helps the body start using fat instead to fuel workouts. Plus, weight lifting actually burns more calories in a 24 hour period than cardio. :) Don't worry about bulking up either :)
  • ascends831
    Options
    Thanks for the link, I had not looked at those numbers. I see i should eating just over 1600 min a day. I'm still a little confused. As I eat better and better foods I don't know where I am so posed to get those calories. I could do nuts but it seems like when ever I tip the calories towards 2000 I start gaining. And eating when your not hungry seems strange. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any fruit? It has carbs and sugar, but is a healthy way to increase your calories. Also, I tend to be low on fat most days. Butter, or cream cheese won't fill you up, but adds tons of flavor to things.