Homemade granola recipe?

Options
I want to up my calorie intake a little but I can't eat enough to get the 200-300 calories and wanted to see if anyone had any good homemade protein bar recipes I can make :)

Replies

• apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Your topic title says "homemade granola" but your question was for protein bars...I'll give you a granola recipe I make quite often:

Homemade Granola (adapted from Alton Brown):
    ingredients--
    1 and 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 cups rolled oats (quick or old fashioned)
    Chopped pecans, walnuts, whole almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, cashews (or any combination/proportions to equal 2 cups chopped nuts)
    1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut (optional)
    Dried fruit suggestions: chopped up dried pear, cranberries, blueberries, golden raisins

directions--
    Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
    Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
    Combine the brown sugar and water in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave for 5 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave and add vanilla extract and salt.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, and brown sugar syrup mixture until thoroughly mixed. Spread the granola onto the cookie sheets and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden and crunchy. After removing from the oven, add the dried fruit and allow granola to cool completely. Store in airtight container once cooled.

(For 1/4 cup the calories are approx. 140cals)
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I make my own "protein" bars. They are more like carbs bars. But it's all about what you put in them.

1.5-2 c old fashioned oats
    1-1.5 c Almonds
    about 1/2 c of dried fruit (I've used raisins, craisins, and dried plums)
    2 T of almond butter
    Honey and/or agave to taste and thickness

Dry ingredients into the food processor. Then add the fruit. Then the butter and honey/agave.

Blend and stir until everything is coated. It should be pretty thick and I like to leave mine a little chunky. Press into a (9x9) pan and refrigerate.

I've experimented a bit with adding protein powder and other seeds (chia and sunflower). I like the chia seeds. And if you get them wet prior, you can leave out some of the honey/agave because it will help hold stuff together. I don't like the flavor of protein powder, but a scoop or two can be added for extra protein.

It's been a trial and error for me. But they taste pretty good.

To get the calories for each, just add all the ingredients into the Recipe option on MFP, and divide by the number of bars you make. Mine have always ended up in the 250-300 range.
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    HAHA! I did put granola! I meant to put protein, but they are both good healthy calorie uppers. Thank you very much!!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Check out this pinterest list of breakfast ideas:
    http://pinterest.com/geralynhoerauf/yum-paleo-breakfast/

I made the Fruit & Nut Bars a couple of times. If you cut the bars into 10 (8 X 8 pan), I calculated the macros as:
    Cals: 237
    Carbs: 34g
    Fat: 12g
    Protein: 5g
    Sodium: 61mg
    Fiber: 5g