Quinoa: I'm new to this stuff... recipe help???

Options

Replies

• blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lkayholt
    lkayholt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    use it in place of rice. It cooks like rice, 1cup quinoa/ 2cups water.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa!

This is one of my favorites: http://www.justataste.com/2011/07/quinoa-with-corn-and-scallions/

It's just quinoa, corn, scallions with a lemon-butter-honey dressing. The recipe makes about 8 servings. I can eat a serving for lunch with some grilled chicken and be completely satisfied for a while. It's also a hit at parties.

MFP calorie count: Calories 219; Carbs 30; Fat 8; Protein 6
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, love this stuff, I put everything in it.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make with quinoa is Quinoa Pizza Bites!

Here is the recipe: http://fitsuccess.blogspot.com/2013/02/healthy-snack-quinoa-pizza-bites.html
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes guys and gals!
  • beelikethebug1116
    beelikethebug1116 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe (I substitute reduced fat cheese)—it's great for using up leftover chicken!

http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2013/03/cheddar-chicken-quinoa-bake/
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    get yourself a cookbook from the library. i had a groupon deal for one and i really like it!
  • wanderinggypsy
    Options
    Bump! I'm going on an elimination diet this week to test for allergies, but I'm allowed quinoa!
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump :laugh: :happy:
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump -- these recipes all sound amazing!
  • Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am starting to venture out on healthy eating. I heard quinoa is a high protein low carb good alternative to rice, potatoes all that (which I love love love to eat). I have never cooked with it and don't know what to cook with it. I would like to start since it has such GREAT health benefits (from what I have read). Recipes, tips, advice would help tremendously for a newbie in the Quinoa world! Thanks!!! :)

I like mine spicy. I mix in sautéed red chilli, onion, garlic and coriander (cilantro).... mushrooms are a nice added extra as well. To be honest, it's so bland that it holds most flavours well so you can pretty much add what you like to it.

Oh and I never boil it in plain water, always chicken stock... just to give it a bit more flavour :tongue:
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I made a really good cold salad with roasted bell peppers, sweet corn, 3 kinds of beans (black, kidney, white), cucumber, green onion, cilantro, cumin, and a light dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Really good, and great for "stirring in" left over chicken, sausage, etc.

I use it like rice -- cook as per package instructions and add veggies that have been sauteed in cooking spray with a few roasted amonds stirred in. It is excellent as a base for "ham fried rice" using lean turkey ham and veggies.

Or eat it cold with almond milk for cereal. It's pretty adaptable to any flavor, so play with it like you would rice or even oatmeal.

Enjoy!
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i discovered quinoa about a month ago, and i love it. my favorite go to meal is to serve it with roasted vegetables. pretty simple, and you can use whatever vegetables you like.

first i get the vegetables roasting, which usually consists of

asparagus
    corn (still in the husk)
    red onions
    whole cloves of garlic
    bell peppers (i like to use yellow and red for the color it brings to the dish)
    cherry or grape tomatos

when the veggies have about 15 mins left to roast, i prepare the quinoa according to the package. i usually double the amount of quinoa prepared, so i have lots of leftovers. you can use broth, but i always use water and don't notice a difference in taste. once quinoa is cooked, i transfer it to a bowl, and stir in some raw spinach (which will wilt some from the heat) and the roasted veggies.

then... the best part... toss it all with a dressing made from:

3 Tbsp EVOO
    1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely.

yum. like i said, you can change out the veggies. sautee some mushrooms, throw in some drained and rinsed black beans.... etc.

i also like to prepare quinoa and eat it as i would oatmeal in the morning.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    Favorite quinoa recipe-

Ingredients
    ½ cup cooked Quinoa
    1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    Himalayan salt or Bragg® Liquid Aminos (to taste)
    1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh mint leaves
    ¼ large ripe tomato, diced
    ¼ large cucumber, peeled and diced
    2 Tbsp. chopped pitted Kalamata olives

Directions
    Toss quinoa with olive oil, salt or Bragg Liquid Aminos, and lemon juice, mixing well. Gently fold in parsley and mint, followed by remaining ingredients. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Serves 1.

I also add in feta cheese and mix in some homemade black bean hummus, super good! It's an ultimate reset recipe and even though I'm not doing the reset it's still a great recipe!