Help me understand the MFP Sodium Target

Options
I have a high sensitivity to salt. I never add it to anything. MFP says I'm supposed to be intaking 2400 sodium a day. I barely crack 200 most days since I'm only getting sodium that naturally occurs. Is there some reason that the sodium requirement is so high (IMO)? Adding table salt takes away from the taste of the food since that's all I taste when its added. If it is important that I intake more sodium, any suggestions?

Replies

• CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The 2500 mg of sodium is not a minimum/requirement, it is the maximum amount of sodium recommended for people of generally good health. So, don't fret...no need to dump salt on everything to "meet the sodium requirement" :smile:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cassie that it is a recommended maximum, and has actually been upped in the passed by the USDA.

However, depending on water intake, there is a recommended amount - usually 200-600mg a day. Chances are, you're probably still getting enough unless you're a heavy exerciser.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder about the validity of your tracking - not that it's something you're not writing down but if the items you're choosing are accurate. Many of the listings in the food database are entered by members and not even remotly accurate due to omissions, errors or just the fact that products change over the years or may even be different depending on the country you're in.

I'm pretty sensitive to salt as well and don't add it to anything but there is tons of sodium in the foods we eat whether natural sources or man-made sources so I still get close if not over every day.

Edited: Found one source that said 1500 is the minimum then found another that said 500. Hard to say...maybe talk to your doc?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i changed that to 1,800 a day. But im trying to go for 1,000 if i can.

My doctor at my last checkup said that I have a little bit of high blood pressure, and I can choose 1,000 to 1,800 ok. Check with your doctor or nurse what is a good amount for you..

We dont have to eat 2,500.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder about the validity of your tracking
    Same. I think it's likely you're getting more than 200mg's. Your body actually needs salt and potassium, especially if you are getting any exercise/spending time in the sun. And everything processed has loads of sodium. The first place google took me recommended a minimum of 500mg, but said some people tolerate as low as 250. That might not be optimal, but if you are not having any ill effects than you may be one of the lower end people.

For the record, there are a few people with health conditions that make them need a lower salt diet, but there is actually no evidence that most people do. There was a NYTimes article about it recently if you want to check it out.

When I was a kid, my parents had 'low salt salt' which I now find hilarious but as a result I am pretty sensitive to added salt on some things. I use liberally when I'm cooking though.
  • sco8462
    sco8462 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll do some more research. I think the reason I keep my so low is that i don't eat processed foods generally speaking. Fresh fruits, veggies, and protein have what they have in the sodium content department. I assume those are accurate in the tracker, but based on this, I'll do more research instead of just assuming what people enter into the database is correct.