Breaking the cycle...

Options
Any suggestions on how to change habits... Everyday I ruin my really good diet as soon as I walk through the door at home. I instantly feel hungry and go for rubbish junk sugary foods. It clicked today that I've actually done this since I was a young child coming home from school... I'd always have a snack as soon as I've walked through the door but since the age of probably around 12/13 this has become a mini binge. Every day I say I won't today but even though I do amazingly throughout the day as soon as I walk through that door I fail... Any suggestions on how to address this???

Help please....

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the *kitten* you'll end up feeling bad about eating.

Sorted!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would normally advise that you moderate your serving sizes. Allow yourself to have treats, but measured out and completely accounted for in your food diary.

However, if you truly can't control yourself, don't keep it in the house until you are able to resist.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Yeah I would do that if my partner didn't eat it... My partner isn't what I call an healthy eater. We have a junk food draw as that was my way of minimizing where I saw the crap food. My son also has snacks in the drawer.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the *kitten* you'll end up feeling bad about eating.

Sorted!

This. Can't eat what's not there.

Alternatively, not only stop buying the crap, but replace it with good stuff. If the only sweet thing in the house is a pineapple, then you just eat the pineapple. Two birds with one stone - you cut out the crap and get more fruits/veggies.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    My husband likes to eat things I don't like having around in the house. We make a compromise that I buy it for him and he keeps it at work or somewhere I can't find it.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Again, getting rid of the food from the house isn't an option... I can't force the way I want to eat on other people and I wouldn't want to. It will be in the house its just finding a way to manage this... was hoping for some constructive supportive suggestions and some solutions that might help.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Yeah I would do that if my partner didn't eat it... My partner isn't what I call an healthy eater. We have a junk food draw as that was my way of minimizing where I saw the crap food. My son also has snacks in the drawer.

Are you the one that does most of the grocery shopping? If so, then stop buying it and tell them "tough luck."

You should be setting a good example for your son, anyway. And if your partner really wants the junk s/he can go out and buy it themselves.

As someone who has managed to turn an "I don't eat no rabbit food" man into a true omnivore, it is entirely possible to change their habits, too. You just have to put your foot down, and be willing to work with them (by getting/making substitutes for the bad stuff).
  • reasg3911
    reasg3911 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't know if it's at all mental for you, but I know that I tend to eat what I've been thinking about eating. If I start to think about what sweets I want to eat when I get home for school or work, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to eat sweets. If I have something else I'm planning to eat and I think about that instead, it's a pretty sure thing that I'll end up eating that. It's sure sounds easier than it is though. I only managed to stop overeating about a week ago, and I really couldn't tell you what finally triggered this change. Good luck!
  • Manleymomof2
    Manleymomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What he said, but I'd put it like this: plan your way to success. Clean out your cupboards to the extent you're able. Anything you can't get rid of (stuff your family would mutiny over if you got rid of it), put it in one designated place. Put it in a place that isn't it's usual place and isn't easy to get to. The idea is to break a mindless habit. If you've got to make an extra effort to get to it, it gives you a chance to put the brakes on.

Also, it might help to substitute something else you like for noshing. This habit is probably equal parts hunger and needing a de-stressing transition from work to home. Get a healthy snack and take 15 minutes to do something that makes you happy and calm ~ read a book, browse mfp, etc. Whatever floats your boat. Good luck.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Again, getting rid of the food from the house isn't an option... I can't force the way I want to eat on other people and I wouldn't want to. It will be in the house its just finding a way to manage this... was hoping for some constructive supportive suggestions and some solutions that might help.

Well, advising you to steer clear of it if you can't moderate it is a constructive suggestion.

Replace your son's snacks with healthier ones - you can start setting a good example for him now. As far as your partner goes, ask him to keep it somewhere else, hidden from you. Maybe the garage or someplace like that? Just temporarily while you get your moderation issues under control. There's nothing wrong with a few treats here and there, but if you can't control it, you need to avoid it. He should help support you in that. You're not saying he can't have it, you're just asking him to help you learn to control it.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    I don't know if it's at all mental for you, but I know that I tend to eat what I've been thinking about eating. If I start to think about what sweets I want to eat when I get home for school or work, it's pretty much a sure thing that I'm going to eat sweets. If I have something else I'm planning to eat and I think about that instead, it's a pretty sure thing that I'll end up eating that. It's sure sounds easier than it is though. I only managed to stop overeating about a week ago, and I really couldn't tell you what finally triggered this change. Good luck!

Thank you for your helpful suggestion... will definitely try giving this a go... do you have alternatives to eat?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I started my first response before yours got posted, so it wasn't a matter of me ignoring your followup. It just wasn't there when I wrote what I wrote.

That said, I stand by what I've said. Additionally, talk to your partner about your struggles and try to get them to work with you. They may not even know they're currently part of the problem. You don't have to do this alone, and you'll be more likely to be successful if you have some support from the people you live with.

If they are really stubborn, tell them it's a temporary thing, until you can kick the cravings. Then you can reintroduce their favorite snacks occasionally. In the meantime, they can keep it at work, or somewhere you can't get to.

Changing your diet, especially something like this, isn't that much different from trying to quit any other addiction - you can't just "moderate" the thing you're addicted to. You have to stop it completely. Only once you've done that and conquered the cravings, can you consider reintroducing it at a moderate level. It's much easier to do this when it's not even available to you, especially at the beginning, when the habit and cravings are still embedded.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your blood sugar tested?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Start yourself on a new habit. Rather than coming home and eating something, how about taking a shower as soon as you get in? Clean a room besides the kitchen? Make a cup of tea or do some yoga?

The trick might be replacing that food habit with an entirely different activity alltogether, rather than trying to eat something 'healthier'.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing....

I changed my eating plan...I now eat 6 small meals a day so when I get home, I am not famished and that gives me time to prepare a good, healthy meal without munching...

Also...prepare good munchies ahead like raw vegetables or even a veggie soup...like a 'cream' of broccoli soup (no cream of course!...lol)...that always 'fools' my tummy in thinking I just had a nice satisfying meal but it's about 75 calories...or less!!...

I've been doing this for just a little 2 weeks and have lost 3.3lbs so far...

Good luck!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you can't get the food out of the house, and the other people in the house won't compromise on the type of snacks you keep around, you could buy yourself some healthy snacks and go to them instead of the junk drawer. You can also force yourself to log your daily snack before you eat it -Seeing the calories that the less healthy snacks will take may make it easier to limit your intake or avoid the food altogether and eat a healthier item.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    My son does have healthy treats but we keep it in the snack draw as then he feels he's getting a treat... this was our way of getting him to have healthy snacks - however this is the same place I've given my partner as her designated snack / rubbish drawer.

Has anyone got some good snack ideas that may help??
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I get into "binge mode" as well, quite often. I try to immediately text/call/get in touch somehow with my fiance and get him to talk me out of it or say something positive. Have a support person. I can't get rid of the binge food, because he and his son eat it, but we can moderate the behavior. I realize that I can't treat the food as "bad". It gives the food too much power over me. I need to recognize that it's ME, not the food that has the problem, and I can't "blame" the food. Avoiding the food tends to just mean I'm avoiding the problem. I'm trying to break the cycle myself. It's hard, but if you have good support, you'll make it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Having excess junk food in your home isn't doing anyone any favors. Kids don't NEED all that crap in their diets..it just establishes bad habits for their lifetime, and if your partner wants it, let him/her take it to work and keep it there!

Ask your family to help you by reducing the amount of things you can't control yourself with. Find junk food that they like, and you don't?