Giving up diet soda...help!

Options
jlshea
jlshea Posts: 494 Member
I need the caffeine, or I think I do. I feel like I get a headache without caffeine. I'm not huge on coffee. I know its probably killing my diet even though the sodas are diet. Grrr!

Need some motivation or some sort of input on what to do in place of the bubbly nectar of the Gods.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day and have lost a few pounds..... Don't plan on giving it up anytime soon... It is definitely a personal preference.... Good Luck....
  • lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 29 of being soda free.

I will tell you... the first three weeks were a witch-with-a-b for me. And now, I actually don't even miss it.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Think about this- you are going through caffeine withdrawal-drug withdrawal! It doesn't take long to get past the headaches, and you can use something like a 5 hour energy if you really need. You don't need to drink 12 ounces to get what you want with caffeine. But your body is hooked which should be a good sign to you that you shouldn't be consuming a substance like that in the first place. You can get through this! Baby steps. If you are a heavy soda drinker, start by cutting back first before going cold turkey so you don't set yourself up.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I recently did the same thing. I've been diet soda free for abut 4 months now. To help give it up, I switched to drink mixes with more natural sweeteners (i.e., stevia) to mix in with my water. If I need something bubbly, I try club soda with some lime or lemon.

Honestly, the caffeine withdrawals are terrible. I had horrible headaches for about 7-10 days and then I was good to go. Keep in mind it is something that will go away.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on caffeine withdrawals - if I don't get my cup of coffee in the morning my day is screwed.

I really would encourage you to kick that soda habit. Diet soda is straight up just - awful for you. I don't like to preach at people but if you want to be healthy you just can't consume that crap on a regular basis. Try to just cut back on it for a while; you can avoid the worst of those withdrawal headaches if you phase it out gradually.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have stopped all soda and now drink sparkling ice carbonated water and coffee (they will pry my cup out of my cold dead hands)
    :drinker:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda but not caffeine. I chose a time when I was going to have a change anyway - was going to be off work for a couple weeks. So as I drove home from work that last day before the break, I drank my last soda. Doing it when something else in the schedule was changing seemed to help me do it.

I now substitute unsweetened tea or coffee. I didn't choose to do all the crystal light kind of stuff because I was moving away from the artificial ingredients. I didn't choose to give up caffeine because IMO if it contained caffeine the way it grew, and they have to chemically remove it, I'll just drink it with the caffeine. So I have had no caffeine withdrawal.

I have sipped a soda a few times since going off them (last December). I now find the GROSS.

Since moving to tea, I find myself on occasion choosing water. I can tell you, that would not have happened before. It's not to say I don't know it's good for me, I just hated it. I think it was cravings for the sodas. Now without soda, water has started tasting fresher to me. Tea is refreshing... Yesterday I had an unsweetened passion fruit tea at starbucks trying to find an option that was cold. It was tart and refreshing.

I was drinking up to 2L a day of diet coke. If I can get to this point maybe I can help you get there too.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When i stopped drinking Pepsi 7 weeks ago I weened myself off of them. I totally avoided the caffeine withdrawal headace. I was only drinking one a day anyway. I did those small cans - 7.5ozs for a week then had half of the small can and eventually none. The first couple weeks are sooo hard w/o any soda!! its all you think about. But it does get better.
  • SNeumeister
    Options
    Cut it down little by little. I used to be hooked on Iced Caps. I used to Drink a Large one made with heavy cream every day! It took about a week to cut it, drinking less & less each day, then none when you have 2 free days. You will get the worst headache of your life the first day you don't have it. Then it gets better from there.

If you need the caffeine, switch to a tea or an iced tea for summer.

You can treat yourself once a week to a small glass of pop after that if you enjoy it, just not every day or you will have to go through that week again. those headaches, no thank you!
  • mdhb22
    mdhb22 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am going on 7 years without drinking soda of any kind. It was very hard for me the first month or so. I would get the headaches too, but I never gave in. I drank lots and lots of water, which I still do. You can do it!! Just try and find other drinks that you like so you aren't constantly thinking about it. Quitting all at once was the best for me but maybe you need to gradually drink less and less instead of quitting cold turkey. Good Luck! You've got this!
    BONUS! I lost 15lbs from quitting soda alone!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    caffeinne withdrawal headaches are for realz.

I think this - substitute something healthier for it - something you would enjoy. even if its not necessarily diet.. When you enjoy that, and not the soda pop, your taste for the soda will go away after maybe 1-3 weeks time.

then when you conquor that, substitute a more healthy drink for the one you were drinking.. Its kinda like when hospitals get you off heroin, they give you morphine in order to handle it.

And stop referring to soda pop as "nectar of the gods" that way you are making it even more harder to leave aside. So please think of soda pop as neutral like a piece of paper or something that would not make you want it.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Green Tea.
    I start every day with 32 ounces of it.
    Don't buy the bottles though, some of them have a lot of sugar/sweetener and preservatives in them.
    I throw 3 lipton green tea bags in a pitcher (glass, not plastic) filled with water and put in the micro for 4 minutes, stick it in the fridge after an hour or so - that's it. If you need to put stevia or some other sweetener in it you can - when i'm craving something a little sweet I put agave in it.
    It's supposed to have some thermogenic properties too but I can't confirm that - I think Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil or someone said that once on their show and price of green tea soared for a couple weeks.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I need the caffeine, or I think I do. I feel like I get a headache without caffeine. I'm not huge on coffee. I know its probably killing my diet even though the sodas are diet. Grrr!
    Need some motivation or some sort of input on what to do in place of the bubbly nectar of the Gods.
    I make ice tea (from bags not powder) and add in some fake sweetner. As the week goes on, I use more and more ice/water in my tea, so that by the end of the week/beginning of the next week I can just switch to water, and hey presto! no headaches - because I've tapered off.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea?

Maybe substitute one or two glasses of your soda for a caffeinated tea like green or black. Wean yourself off of it slowly (if possible brew your own tea or look for bottled tea that has no crap in it).

I am not a big fan of soda. Diet tastes nasty and fake and it's sweet. The real stuff makes me feel like my teeth are corroding. I don't even really use them as a mixer. The only time I will drink a diet soda is when it is really, really hot out and I am really dehydrated and thirsty. That's when I typically crave them.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Green Tea.
    Don't buy the bottles though, some of them have a lot of sugar/sweetener and preservatives in them.
    I throw 3 lipton green tea bags in a pitcher (glass, not plastic) filled with water and put in the micro for 4 minutes, stick it in the fridge after an hour or so - that's it. If you need to put stevia or some other sweetener in it you can - when i'm craving something a little sweet I put agave in it.
    It's supposed to have some thermogenic properties too but I can't confirm that - I think Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil or someone said that once on their show and price of green tea soared for a couple weeks.

I wish I could drink green tea. The actual drink or any supplments I've had in the past wreck my stomach. :sick:
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I haven't had soda since July 16, 2012. I'm almost to my one year! :happy:

I still have tea, which contains caffeine.

You can do it! The first month was really hard for me, but now I don't even crave it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Green Tea.

It is supposed to have thermogenic properties however you would need to drink a LOT of it in order to benefit. Like 8-10 cups a day (or something ridiculous like that. I can't remember the exact amount but I know it's a lot)
  • bwright9752
    Options
    Green Tea.

I wish I could drink green tea. The actual drink or any supplments I've had in the past wreck my stomach. :sick:

hmmm, I never knew green tea to be hard on the stomach - but then again my stomach is made of steel, I take 600mg of ibuprofen and wash it down with green tea on an empty stomach. Good for the inflamation but might be a little tough on stomach.
  • bwright9752
    Options
    Green Tea.

It is supposed to have thermogenic properties however you would need to drink a LOT of it in order to benefit. Like 8-10 cups a day (or something ridiculous like that. I can't remember the exact amount but I know it's a lot)
    Well, if I drink 4 cups of it every morning along with my coconut oil, raspberry ketones, green coffee extract, chili powder, ground up unicorn horn, troll bone marrow and zombie saliva I should be able to add 10 calories to my daily allowance.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a diet soda at lunch, and on a very rare occasion, I'll have it at dinner. Just find a way to dwindle it down to 1-2 a day.