Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hello everyone,

Hope you are enjoying your holiday!

I have a question about heart rate monitors. I want to get one that I can use during exercise to more adequately judge my calories burned but don't know which one is the best value for the lowest price. I have done a lot of research and lots sound good on paper but I was wondering if anyone used them and which ones people liked and did not like or felt was a good value.

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• sapphyre0702
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Hope you are enjoying your holiday!

I have a question about heart rate monitors. I want to get one that I can use during exercise to more adequately judge my calories burned but don't know which one is the best value for the lowest price. I have done a lot of research and lots sound good on paper but I was wondering if anyone used them and which ones people liked and did not like or felt was a good value.

Thanks! :happy:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F4 since it was a great deal but within a week I opted to spend the extra $25 and buy the Polar F6. I ADORE it. The best investment I've made in this journey, by far!!
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have the polar F6 and absolutely love it!!!!!

watching calories being burned is a huge motivator, plus it has a self fitness test to make sure you are on track! and there are some journal/diary settings for it to recall your past few weeks of exercise! definitey worth the added investment.

only downside to polar is teh battery in teh chest strap. they say it has a 3 year life. when it dies, you either buy a new HRM or send it to polar for a new one. it's about a wash between the cost of a new one and sending it back.... (maybe a difference of $15)

otherwise, love my polar!!!!!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    id say the polar is worth the money. i opted for a cheaper brand that worked great for months, but its starting to act quirky! im trying a few things to test and see if it was just input error, but if it doesn't work, im going to just get my money back and put it toward a polar.

I originally got this one (highhear pulsewear duo) because you can change the battery yourself. it was only 40 bucks, so i will let yall know if its defective, or if it was just user error :)
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I Bought my wife one on mother's day. and she compares it to other machines she uses to track her hear t rate and calorie burn and she says it works great. its a sport line. and found it at target for $60. my wife wanted one that did everything your looking for. so if your looking to get one thats a little cheaper than a polar. i would try that one. i do hear polar is the best though. Hope that helps you.

Jeff
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and absolutely love it :love: ...it is very motivating to see the calories that you are burning. Ever since I got mine, I am so much more serious about my workouts. I will be like "oh, can't leave until I have burn 500 calories" (It's all about being able to eat the extra ones!). It also shows you your progress! I would definitely recommend the F6!!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    hey you guys, i took the batteries out of my watch and reset it from scratch. It appears to be counting calories more accurately now, but i wont know for sure until i go out and do my hiking... i hope that it isnt broken!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    id say the polar is worth the money. i opted for a cheaper brand that worked great for months, but its starting to act quirky! im trying a few things to test and see if it was just input error, but if it doesn't work, im going to just get my money back and put it toward a polar.

I originally got this one (highhear pulsewear duo) because you can change the battery yourself. it was only 40 bucks, so i will let yall know if its defective, or if it was just user error :)

This is one that I am considering vs the F6 - let me know if / how it works! I have not decided yet on if I am going to cough up the extra $ for the F6... I kind of want one NOW not in 3-4 months when I have the $100 for a F6 :smile:
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    after taking the batteries out and resetting the information, mine seems to be doing fine again. I believe it is definitely worth the money, at less than half of most of its counterparts. The instructions take a while to figure out (you have to read every single word) but it is definitely doable. i love mine, and im relieved that it went back to working ok... im wering it now to test my resting heart rate and i will update you after i exercise to see if it is indeed working again!
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it was helpful to hear your opinions! I'll let you know which one I ultimately decide.

I feel much more prepared to enter the large intimidating world of health technology! :tongue: