A (very) Small NSV I Want To Share

Options
I've been overweight my whole life (still am) but recently I brought it up with my dad that I thought it'd be cool if we started running. So we went to our local high school where they have a track there.
The first time he ran around, he could run the whole time even though it wasn't very fast (if I remember correctly his time was 2:49 or something like that) for a quarter mile.
The first time I ran around, I had to walk for a little at the halfway mark. My time? 3:03

Now we fast forward a couple months.
His latest time is 2:04
My latest time is 2:23

I dunno, I'm just proud that I've cut my time by ~40 seconds, and his by ~46 seconds.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    that's great!!!!
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!! Before you know it, you will be beating him. Keep it up!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! what does nsv stand for though (to me it seems like unexpected benefit, but i have never gotten an answer to that)?
  • happybrunette120
    Options
    Congratulations! I love running - it gives me a rush and a release feeling. Right now, my 49 year old father can probably outrun me and I'm only 18... but just you wait - by September, I will be able to beat his former soccer playing butt! *Hooray for father-daughter love*
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    that's awesome! what does nsv stand for though (to me it seems like unexpected benefit, but i have never gotten an answer to that)?

NSV means Non-Scale Victory. So like finally fitting into these jeans you kept in your closet, improved endurance, running times are shorter, you don't sweat/tire out as easily, etc.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That is teriffic.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are absolutely right to be proud! And so nice you two are doing it together.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    non scale victory

Nice running
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks guys:D
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options

NSV means Non-Scale Victory. So like finally fitting into these jeans you kept in your closet, improved endurance, running times are shorter, you don't sweat/tire out as easily, etc.

Thank you! That makes so much sense now!
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    kudos to you and your dad! how cool!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Good for you and glad you are celebrating the NSV. That's the way to keep yourself motivated.
  • skinnyinmt
    skinnyinmt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't discount your steps my friend. EVERY step takes you closer to your goals and you are still a HUGE step ahead of the person on the couch. We all want to go from heavy to fit yet all the baby steps along the way IS the journey. Keep up your good work!! :) Pay attention to what you do because that will keep you there and that number doesn't define you nor will it keep you there. Good Luck1
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • KathrynPond
    Options
    Awesome job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!