Best way to lose when you are already at a healthy weight

Options

Replies

• iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Was that more than two years ago? If so, you're a woman now, you can't get back to the weight or look you were when you weren't one. Unless you were overweight then, but by the sounds of it, you weren't.
    I don't think that is true, I am 39 and weigh less than I did in high school and wear a smaller size, and I wasn't overweight in high school either and I have had 4 kids

That's great for you. Some body types don't change. Also, some people who were not overweight in high school start strength training later in life, which completely transforms the body. You can wear a smaller size but you probably don't look the same. I personally have hips now and no amount of fat loss with make those go away. I may end up a smaller size than I was in highschool, but my womanly body, sculpted by strength training, will look nothing like my body when I was 15.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Lose the baggage in your head first. Wrap you mind around the idea that being 5'4" and 124lbs is absolutely wonderful.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What about your body are you unhappy with? Is it ‘flabby arms’? The fact that you would prefer to be in the 110 – 120 range? That you are pear/apple shaped?

Just looking for a little more specifics because while 112 is TECHNICALLY in your healthy weight range, even if you get to 112, if the fact that you think you have ‘flabby arms’ is the issue, while there will be less of you, if you lose muscle mass, those ‘flabby arms’ will get worse.

I do have "problems areas" which I do focus on thru blogilates YouTube videos and strength training. I appreciate what your saying though, I'm not trying to lose the very small muscle mass I have to begin with

Then I would have to agree with everyone else that toning is probably the best way to go.

I know when I started kettle bells over a 6 week program I only lost 6 pounds, but I went from a size 10 to a size 6 and that was only with a 10 pound kettle bell.

If you would like to change up your routine and you have access to weights, I would suggest going to bodybuilding.com and looking for their “simple beginners routine”. It’s technically made for a barbell, but you would be able to do dumbbells instead.

Hope this helps! :)
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Lose the baggage in your head first. Wrap you mind around the idea that being 5'4" and 124lbs is absolutely wonderful.

If I'm unhappy about my appearance, I'm unhappy. Maybe I do just need to strength train and maybe I will be 124 lbs still and look better. That's why I posted this thread to ask for advice. Really underweight, normal weight, and overweight people can all be unhappy appearance wise for one reason or another so don't knock on other people for saying they want to like what they see I'm the mirror. No "baggage" involved
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The WAY that you lose weight will be the same at a healthy weight or overweight: burn more calories than you take in. Being that you are at a healthy weight, you will want to weight train for sure. If you are eating at a deficit you will not gain muscle mass but you should define the muscles you do have. I believe strength training will help with body comp, which seems to be your actual "issue" and not necessarily weight loss/fat loss. Since you are at a healthy weight I would ditch the scale as much as possible and focus solely on the NSVs. Someone who is toned at 150lbs will look better and probably fit into smaller clothes than someone who is not at 130.
  • lms1220
    Options
    The WAY that you lose weight will be the same at a healthy weight or overweight: burn more calories than you take in. Being that you are at a healthy weight, you will want to weight train for sure. If you are eating at a deficit you will not gain muscle mass but you should define the muscles you do have. I believe strength training will help with body comp, which seems to be your actual "issue" and not necessarily weight loss/fat loss. Since you are at a healthy weight I would ditch the scale as much as possible and focus solely on the NSVs. Someone who is toned at 150lbs will look better and probably fit into smaller clothes than someone who is not at 130.

Thank you! I guess I'm starting less cardio, more strength!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I understand, I think it's your body composition that you want to change. My diary is open. You will have to take in enough protein to build so muscle. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120.
  • lms1220
    Options
    I understand, I think it's your body composition that you want to change. My diary is open. You will have to take in enough protein to build so muscle. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120.

Thanks..I'll take a look!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is true, I am 39 and weigh less than I did in high school and wear a smaller size, and I wasn't overweight in high school either and I have had 4 kids

I was a size 10 in high school and wear mostly 2s and 4s now. Vanity sizing.
  • Ramona818
    Ramona818 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'd focus more on toning and less on the number, if I were you. That can help you get to your NSV while not necessarily getting you to that number.

I know everyone's bodies are different, but I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130. These hips aren't ever getting down to a 4. :laugh:

Totally agree! My hips would laugh at me if I ever THOUGHT of getting them into a size 4 :)

To the OP: Do you already like the way you look? If so, I would say screw the number on the scale. :drinker:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Another one here who suggests you strength train at a very slight or no deficit.

I'd suggest maintenance or no deficit.

My 16 year old niece weighs in at 135 at 5'1" and she's a size 2-4. Her lean mass is high from strength training and bodyweight exercises.
  • lms1220
    Options
    Another one here who suggests you strength train at a very slight or no deficit.

My 16 year old niece weighs in at 135 at 5'1" and she's a size 2-4. Her lean mass is high from strength training and bodyweight exercises.

Wow! That's eye opening!
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It was, but I've essentially had the same height/body shape since I was 14. I understand what you're saying though. That's why I'm not stuck on the number so much. I fit into size 4 jeans in fall 2011 so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to after I lose more lbs of fat

I recently found out that the infamous freshman 15 isn't always due to overeating. As you take the leap from high school to college/adulthood, your body will naturally gain about 5-10 pounds. Just look at anyone's growth chart. It's completely normal. And if you're going by a BMI calculator, those aren't all that accurate. Some people are just big boned, or just can't naturally be at a certain weight. They say to look at your growth charts to be the most accurate; though everyone wants to be at the lowest weight in the healthy range, that's not practical, since everyone is so different.

But to actually answer the question, I agree, I'd exercise and tone more. I weigh ten pounds more now than I did last year, but I think I look better, since I'm much more toned. If someone were to guess my weight, they'd probably guess that I weigh less than I really do. So it's probably best to just focus on dropping a few pounds and toning up. Also, the more muscle you have, the better your burn calories even when you're not working out, so I've heard. :D
    Good luck!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    1) Create an appropriate calorie deficit. You might want to try a diet higher in protein and lower in carbs;

2) Exercise.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yup... lift heavy at maintenance calorie, make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Another vote!

I wish someone had told be about heavy lifting when I was 20...you're getting prime advice here!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It was, but I've essentially had the same height/body shape since I was 14. I understand what you're saying though. That's why I'm not stuck on the number so much. I fit into size 4 jeans in fall 2011 so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to after I lose more lbs of fat

I recently found out that the infamous freshman 15 isn't always due to overeating. As you take the leap from high school to college/adulthood, your body will naturally gain about 5-10 pounds. Just look at anyone's growth chart. It's completely normal. And if you're going by a BMI calculator, those aren't all that accurate. Some people are just big boned, or just can't naturally be at a certain weight. They say to look at your growth charts to be the most accurate; though everyone wants to be at the lowest weight in the healthy range, that's not practical, since everyone is so different.

But to actually answer the question, I agree, I'd exercise and tone more. I weigh ten pounds more now than I did last year, but I think I look better, since I'm much more toned. If someone were to guess my weight, they'd probably guess that I weigh less than I really do. So it's probably best to just focus on dropping a few pounds and toning up. Also, the more muscle you have, the better your burn calories even when you're not working out, so I've heard. :D
    Good luck!!

I like this information. Thanks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd focus more on toning and less on the number, if I were you. That can help you get to your NSV while not necessarily getting you to that number.

I know everyone's bodies are different, but I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 130. These hips aren't ever getting down to a 4. :laugh:

I'm 5'4" and my initial goal weight it 170. Getting into a size 16 pants is my goal, but I will settle for my old 17/18 shorts that I have been hanging onto since I was in my 20s. :laugh:
  • RebeccaSarah16
    Options
    You have nearly the exact measurements as me! I want to get down to 115! :)
  • shrinking_sarah
    shrinking_sarah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a body composition analysis done? If not, I suggest you try it (my gym does them at a fairly low cost). The good ones will tell you how much muscle you have in each area of your body so you know where you need to target muscle gain, as well as your overall lean body mass and percentage of body fat. Rather than aiming for a specific weight, perhaps aim for a specific body fat percentage and having muscles. As someone suggested earlier, strength training is a great idea. Your goal, really, is to change your body, not weigh less, and strength training is how you accomplish that.