Did any of you who have lost weight already have loose skin?

Options
I've only lost 20 pounds so far & I have 70 to go. I'm worried about loose skin. I was wondering if any of you had it & how can I prevent it? Thanks.

Replies

• AprilBurns86
    Options
    Keeping your skin moist, and yourself well hydrated, helps a little. But I know that I am honestly going to have to have surgery if I ever want a totally tight tummy again.
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    Adding muscle also helps...it "fills in" under the skin and makes it look less saggy
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've heard losimg weight slowly helps because it gives your skin time to adjust
  • HapThompson
    HapThompson Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 80lbs and I've got a little bit of loose skin on my tummy, but that's pretty much it really. I'm pleased that it's not been as bad as I was worried it might be, and as I'm not quite done yet I'm expecting things to get better over time.

I've done some weight lifting at the gym which I think has helped, and I run and ride my bike everywhere which seems to be making a difference too.
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    I have loose skin and I will be doing some weight training to tone up the muscles underneath. But, from everything that I have been told, as long as you lose is slow and steady, there will be minimal loose skin (added along with some weight training).
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin, I would rather have that that still be the size I was when I was at my heaviest.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    it's gonna happen. if you lose weight slow enough it will minimize the loose skin, but ask yourself. Would you rather have 100 lbs of fat or some loose skin?
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well, mainly, I would say slow and steady wins the race. Myself, I was 225 at my highest, pregnant, huge belly and my skin still is suffering. Even when I am doing planks, pushups, things like that, holding my core tight, skin still hangs down, I imagine it will not completely go back unless I get it removed. It will be okay though, you will be fit and healthy!!! :)
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Some of that might be genetics too. I have loose skin, but mine is more pregnancy related. I've seen pictures of people who lost a LOT and don't seem to have any lose skin and I've seen the oppoiste. My skin was not the nice recoverable kind, but its just my belly so as long as I don't decide to wear a bikini no one will really see it anyways. I can understand the "want" part though.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Everyone's skin is different, so everyone will have a different experience. I'm very prone to stretch marks. I have them on the inside of my upper left arm from sleeping on my side. I have a gazillion stretch marks, and they really suck for helping skin shrink back. Over time, even my crappy skin has improved after losing weight. Generally, the more slowly you lose, the better for your skin, but genetics play a big part.