Fellow PCOSers? - Hello!

Options
Hi Everyone -

Are there any fellow PCOS Cysters here? I was recommended to this site by a fellow cyster and really need to get back on track.

So what's my story? -

I was always a chunky/overweight kid basically since I was 10. My grandma died when I was 14 and that's when my weight really started taking a bump. And I've tried every imaginable diet out there, from pills (Metabolife, Hydroxycut etc) to weight loss plans (Weight Watchers) to plan old calorie counting. But I was always pretty happy with who I was, the problem is I would lose 25-30 lbs and then get stuck and gain back 40!

Well in 2008 I finally found my answer - PCOS! I was diagnosed in November of 2008 and was told I had insulin resistance. Went through 3 rounds of Clomid with 1 IUI and got nothing but BFN's. DH and I got into a motorcycle accident in August of 09 and did not go back to the doctor until March of this year, when I had to go to a new doctor because my insurance switched. The doctor told me to go home and concentrate on losing weight... when I asked her how the best way was to lose weight, she said "People like you should do lap band surgery" - I was pissed... so I went home and put my mind to it.. and from March - April lost 21lbs! - I hired a personal trainer in the beginning of March after our gym closed and we had to switch gyms. And from April - June lost another 10lbs!

Well then it all started to go down hill - I decided I was not happy with my trainer (10 lbs in 3 months that's it?!?!) and wanted to try it on my own but the gym would not have it, they offered me a free month with another trainer – which was a disaster (personality conflict) and wasted an entire month @ which I maintained my weight. But them I started slacking off on my exercise – as well as on my eating! CARB OVERLOAD! So after bad trainer they offered me one last shot at another trainer – Which I love! I have been working out with him over the last month and I love him! (well not literally lol) – but my eating has been horrible – and by horrible I mean fast food horrible – I get a craving for carbs or chocolate and I can’t resist.. I will do good all day and then all of sudden it goes all down hill! And I can’t seem to get back on track..

So I am trying this again – new site ( I used to use Sparkpeople) and trying to start my eating over! I am a Low Carber (South Beach meets Glycemic Weight Loss meets Atkins) and my husband (lost 70lbs) and my mom (lost 45 lbs) is all in this together. Only their eating is way better than mine. I also live with 3 other adults (way long story) who don’t watch what they eat – so there are always bad options in the house!

Anyway I am hoping to make friends – and get the ball rolling again. I do host an exercise challenge on the PCOS boards as well as my facebook which keeps me exercising – maybe I need a eating habit challenge!!

Elly

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi Elly - I'm not sure what PCOS stands for, but even without the knowledge of it, in reading your story I can sympathize. I used to live on fast food, but I've given it up entirely. Now for dinner, I eat a big bowl of broccolli (about the only vegetable I like) and then I take a glass of Metamucil (helps me stay regular, but also a GREAT way to feel full). Then about a half hour later, I will eat my "real" dinner which consists soley of Healthy Choice entrees or Lean Cuisine entrees (not the full - blown meals with desserts!) I go to bed around midnight so I allow myself a snack - sometimes a light beer- Bud Select 55 (55 calories per 12 oz.) :drinker: around 9 pm.
    Another tip: Look away when you pass your favorite fast food places, and if you're watching TV and a food commercial comes on, SHUT YOUR EYES! :laugh:
    So good luck and I hope you do find other friends with your particular problem.
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I've also always been chubby/overweight. I'm taking Metformin for mine. I was diagnosed when I was like...a junior in high school, I believe. I'm currently a senior in college. I was also told weight loss surgery was best for me, but I'm really not interested. And this was the famous Mayo Clinic that told me this. So here I am, trying to lose weight the old fashioned way.

I have two autoimmune diseases that cause joint pain, fevers, exhaustion, so that makes exercise hard for me, but I'm doing pretty well with the food. So kinda the opposite of you. Maybe we should just switch?
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    WOW! Its like hearing my life story! I have severe PCOS! I have had 3 doctors tell me that my case is one of the worst they have seen! Since last year I have lost 32 lbs....in a YEAR! I also hired a trainer and only lost 12 lbs is 3 months and was pissed off! But, I have done so much reading about PCOS that I realize for me to lose 1lb women without PCOS can lose 3 lbs doing the same things...its just because our bodies are different. PCOS is a metabolic syndrome. I would love to be friends so we can keep each other proped up and on the right track!!
    PCOS sucks and nobody understands what we have to go through!
  • kekehunee
    kekehunee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Cyster here! Add me I am looking to others like me too :bigsmile:
    I also have PCOS and went through all the clomid and etc.....tried for several years to have a child. When I turned 36 I finally said I'm done! If it happens it happens.... if not I have to be okay. Just in saying that started a journey of "who am I?" So, for the past year I have been in therapy to get my head on straight. I am trying to finally live instead of exist. I have been a bigger than average person ever since I can remember. I too have lost and gained over the years. I have had a lot of issues pop up and drama which I let get in the way of living a healthy lifestyle. Not only having PCOS as a challenge but I was diag. w/ PTSD over 10 years ago which I haven't come to terms with until this past year. So basically I turn to food when I can't cope. It used to be drugs, sex, Vodka & fist fighting :explode: (in no particular order lol) I stopped all of that about 7 yrs ago....but I just switched to FOOD instead and didn't even know it! I just joined this site a few weeks ago and I really like it, it is working for me. I have lost 7lbs and I am in no hurry just taking it day to day. I have made the decision to go back on my metformin also. Now, I am trying to incorporate more exercise into my day but I am soooo dang tried all the time......the fatigue I feel is the worst part of PCOS for me! :noway:
  • Buccinator
    Options
    Hello there! Cyster here! Add me I am looking to others like me too :bigsmile:
    I also have PCOS and went through all the clomid and etc.....tried for several years to have a child. When I turned 36 I finally said I'm done! If it happens it happens.... if not I have to be okay. Just in saying that started a journey of "who am I?" So, for the past year I have been in therapy to get my head on straight. I am trying to finally live instead of exist. I have been a bigger than average person ever since I can remember. I too have lost and gained over the years. I have had a lot of issues pop up and drama which I let get in the way of living a healthy lifestyle. Not only having PCOS as a challenge but I was diag. w/ PTSD over 10 years ago which I haven't come to terms with until this past year. So basically I turn to food when I can't cope. It used to be drugs, sex, Vodka & fist fighting :explode: (in no particular order lol) I stopped all of that about 7 yrs ago....but I just switched to FOOD instead and didn't even know it! I just joined this site a few weeks ago and I really like it, it is working for me. I have lost 7lbs and I am in no hurry just taking it day to day. I have made the decision to go back on my metformin also. Now, I am trying to incorporate more exercise into my day but I am soooo dang tried all the time......the fatigue I feel is the worst part of PCOS for me! :noway:

The fatigue? I have so much trouble with the autoimmune stuff I never bothered to look up the side effects of PCOS. So you mean I'm tired from the two autoimmune diseases AND the PCOS? SUPER SUCK!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    PCOS stands for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (for the woman who said she didn't know what it stood for). I have read a lot about it thinking I may have had it but have gotten mixed diagnoses from doctors. Now I side with the doctors who didn't think I have it. Anyhow, it's a very hard thing to live with and makes losing weight incredibly tough. From the books and medical journals I have read about it, it seems that diet and exercise are the best ways to "manage" the symptoms. And low carb is best for people with PCOS. Someone earlier was speaking about cravings. I really struggle with cravings but it's my experience that when I eat bad I crave more bad food but when I eat good I crave more good food. So if I don't want to struggle with cravings for sweets and carbs I just need to stay away from them. Usually the first day of restraint is the hardest and then it gets easier. Try it. And as many of us know, weight loss is not just about good food choices and exercise, it's about persistence and consistency. It's about not giving in or giving up no matter what. If you fall off track just pick yourself up and dust off and get back to it. Don't wait a day or week or month. Do it right then and there. Small tweaks to your old habits will manifest into drastic behavior changes over time. That's been my experience. But my sympathy to those with PCOS, it can be dibilating when the symptoms are not being managed. Good luck all!!!
  • kekehunee
    kekehunee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The fatigue? I have so much trouble with the autoimmune stuff I never bothered to look up the side effects of PCOS. So you mean I'm tired from the two autoimmune diseases AND the PCOS? SUPER SUCK!
    [/quote]

Afraid soooooo :frown: sorry..........
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Ladies, Thank you for all the replies. Yes PCOS Sucks.. but I am working through it. Thankfully I have met many cysters through the boards and I no longer feel like I am at this alone.

For the couple ladies that were wondering YES PCOS can cause fatigue. I viewed a webinar a couple weeks back about PCOS and believe it or not fatigue can be caused by PCOS. I never knew that.. but also short memories can too!

Anyway, Thanks for the adds. And if anyone is interested I am on facebook too @ www.facebook.com/sedivygal and have a Exercise group there too @ www.facebook.com/Motivate-Me-To-Motivate-You
  • crystaleyes0318
    Options
    Hi there, I've also been told I have PCOS. I was not diagnosed until after I had gained an unexplained 40 lbs in a year. I know I had stopped working out as much, and was not eating like I should have been, but I was in denial as well. Now I'm too overweight and must get back to healthy as quick as possible to up the chances of starting a family. I was not really told much about PCOS by the doctor who told me about it. There is so much info online about it but the part that makes me want to kick myself is the difficulty in weight loss. I'd love to see what helps others with PCOS break some of those plateaus. I know I had a great trainer who gave me a diet to follow, but I got bored of eating the same thing day after day and started using my own substitutions after only 2 weeks. Over time I was not even eating somewhat healthy anymore (I partially blame the stress from wedding planning, school, and work). Now that my new job is waiting tables, I should have no problem being more active and constantly on the move. I am also back full time at school on a large campus and walking a LOT more every day (in the 100 degree Texas heat none the less). My main problem is being too sedintary. That should be solved now, lol... Just gotta start skipping the Einstein bagel place at the student union and start hitting up the Subway at the other end of campus instead. No more sodas or frozen coffee drinks, instead either water or something with at least some nutritional value. We're not perfect, and when you add the PCOS it makes the struggle that much harder. I'm definitely getting better about keeping the food diary and when I'm not ashamed of it I'll make it public :) Seeing others doing well with the same challenge as me would be an extra incentive to stop cheating and get more serious. Hope to talk to you ladies soon!