Alternative snacks

Options
What can I eat instead of crisps and biscuits (chips and cookies)? I've got fruit for the sweet cravings, but I can't think of anything that would satisfy those cravings I'm getting. I lost 60lbs last year, but have put 20lbs back on and am struggling to get back on track.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You can still eat those things, moderation is key.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough at meal times and the cravings will hopefully lessen as time goes on.

And I second that moderation is key. Eat the foods you love and stay within your calorie goals.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    That's where I struggle. I've come to know myself well over the last year, and I know that moderation just doesn't work. One always leads to another...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You can still eat those things, moderation is key.

</thread>
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Maybe some vegetables and dip?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    That's where I struggle. I've come to know myself well over the last year, and I know that moderation just doesn't work. One always leads to another...

Depriving yourself of these foods is what leads to binges.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Depriving yourself of these foods is what leads to binges.

I definitely agree with this. I know if I ban a food, I'll crave it and in huge quantities, so I ban nothing.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Hmm. Food for thought. (See what I did there?!) Maybe it's a mindset problem...
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try popping your own popcorn on the stove, this way you know how much oil is being used. Add shredded parm or hot sauce for a savory fix. With light popcorn you can get a good snack fix without huge caloric damage.

Another good savory snack is raw veggies with hummus or ranch seasoning and plain greek yourt mixed together.

Search the recipe section and I'm sure you can find even better options
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay away from regular potato chips and go for Snyders pretzels instead (no high fructose corn syrup - just 100% natural ingredients).

Also, for my "treat's" I have Chocolite Protein Bars. I like the Triple Chocolate Fudge, my husband likes the Cashew Caramel, and we both like the cookies and cream. They're available at healthsmartfoods.com and they are also available on Amazon.com. They're about 100 calories, about 9-10 grams of protein and fiber (each!), and are sugar free/gluten free.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I trade out chips for seaweed (no, really!). It has the crunch and saltiness I crave, fraction of the calories. If you have an Asian mart near you, you can typically find them in serving size packages, which typically run about 10-20 calories each!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For chips, try dry-roasted nuts (but watch portion sizes). You may find that raw veggie sticks with a tasty dip satisfy the crunchy craving, but they rarely do for me. Air-popped popcorn is amazing, and rice crackers can often satisfy crunch, too. If you can find a lower-salt crunchy pretzel, they might do the trick. Whatever you go for, be mindful of calorie content overall.

For biscuits/cookies, try meringue cookies (available at most bakeries) for something really light. Or macarons, yummy and decadent. Biscotti can be made with mostly egg whites too, so that keeps the calorie count down. Try dipping crunchy pretzels into chocolate if that's not something that makes you want to eat a million of them.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My favourite low sugar snacks just now -

carrots dipped into houmous
    mini babybel and oatcakes
    snack-a-jacks for crunch and carb craving
    Unsalted nuts
    Fat free Greek yogurt
    no-added-sugar peanut butter
  • Ramona818
    Ramona818 Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to rely on 100 calories snack packs, which worked pretty well for me. Healthier options that I love now are apples and peanut butter, veggies with hummus, pretzel sticks are also great because they are low calorie. I also agree with popcorn, which you can also find in 100 calorie portions.

Recently, I've been drinking a TON of water and that's been killing my appetite between meals. I also like to drink two large glasses before a meal and that automatically causes me to eat less. This system has been working for me and it's great because I've been needing to add more water to my regimen.

I also agree with others - do not ban foods! Once you demonize a food, it will become all you think about. Trust me.