Need Construtive Feedback

Options
Ok, please look at my diary and exercise. Here are my statistics 5 '2 1/2, 44 years old, female.
BMR - 1470
TDEE - 2527
TDEG - 2069

I have been eating pretty decent, exercising and gaining weight since the Fourth of July. I was up another 1/2 pound today and am so FRUSTRATED!!! I just can't figure out what is going on. I would appreciate any feedback, thoughts, ideas etc.. Thanks!

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. But if this has only been going on since the 4th, I'd try drinking a bit more water and watch the sodium. If the scale keeps going up, trim back on the calories a bit.

What were you doing prior to the 4th? How was it working?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what is TDEG?!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    also, you weigh yourself too often... do it once a wek or less, that way normal fluctuations wont drive you crazy!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    your diary is not open.

You have already lost most of your weight. It may be that you need to adjust your calories at this point.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're a woman. It's absolutely normal for us to retain more water depending on our cycle. I gain 2-3 lbs every month 10 days before my period, for example.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    All great replies so thank you for taking the time to respond.

My diary is now open. The only liquid I drink is water so I am getting plenty of water. I try and watch my sodium and I track it. I don't have cycles - ovarian cancer took care of that a long time ago. According to my doctor I should be in the 120-130 pound range so I have around 30 pounds to lose.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

My diary is now open. The only liquid I drink is water so I am getting plenty of water. I try and watch my sodium and I track it. I don't have cycles - ovarian cancer took care of that a long time ago. According to my doctor I should be in the 120-130 pound range so I have around 30 pounds to lose.

from a quick glance at your diary - you are eating carbs at all meals and snacks. I know this isn't the *popular* view here on MFP, but this is something that i know works for some women - and that is to cut back on the meals in which you have carbs. I've tried this when i get stuck and it works FOR ME. ESPECIALLY concerning bread - when i cut down /out on bread, the lbs disappear faster. I'm not saying this has to be long term, and I am really not an ANTI CARB person, and i happen to love bread. but it may be worth it to try this for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating closer to maintenance, if you haven't been losing. If these gains are just from the 4th, I'd stay the course for awhile. Are you using MFP's calculations or your own? When people aren't losing, I suggest using MFP's model for awhile, just with being very careful with the exercise calories (easy to overestimate.) If you want to do the TDEE calculations method, I like this calculator because of how much you can customize it rather than rely on generalizations: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating closer to maintenance, if you haven't been losing. If these gains are just from the 4th, I'd stay the course for awhile. Are you using MFP's calculations or your own? When people aren't losing, I suggest using MFP's model for awhile, just with being very careful with the exercise calories (easy to overestimate.) If you want to do the TDEE calculations method, I like this calculator because of how much you can customize it rather than rely on generalizations: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to use MFP's model for several months but I can't live on 1200 calories, not my thing and not as much as I exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories and I follow the simple road map to figure out using various calculators how much I should be eating, burning, BMR etc...I will check out your new calculator and see how it compares to the calculators I used. Thanks again!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    Options

from a quick glance at your diary - you are eating carbs at all meals and snacks. I know this isn't the *popular* view here on MFP, but this is something that i know works for some women - and that is to cut back on the meals in which you have carbs. I've tried this when i get stuck and it works FOR ME. ESPECIALLY concerning bread - when i cut down /out on bread, the lbs disappear faster. I'm not saying this has to be long term, and I am really not an ANTI CARB person, and i happen to love bread. but it may be worth it to try this for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks. I understand what your saying about carbs, maybe I can try limiting my carbs to see if that can help.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to use MFP's model for several months but I can't live on 1200 calories, not my thing and not as much as I exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories and I follow the simple road map to figure out using various calculators how much I should be eating, burning, BMR etc...I will check out your new calculator and see how it compares to the calculators I used. Thanks again!

No problem--just keep in mind that MFP model does include eating exercise calories back, so you would not be living on 1200. (You could also change your activity setting to a higher activity and then not eat them back.) Good luck, let us know what ends up happening.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is MFP default minimum. Nearly everyone really needs more than that. MFP set me at 1610, plus exercise calories. The program does not automatically set you at 1200 unless you're asking it to by wanting to go fast. Reset your numbers at a slower pace and it will give you a good goal to use as a tool...which might help you get going again. Good luck!
  • ironlady10
    ironlady10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Remember your body is adjusting.. it will pull resources (water retention for one) and anything else while it adjusts and realises that the food you have eaten it can't hang onto. The only true way of looking at weight loss is 8 weeks, 16 weeks and so on because during that time, those few weeks inbetween - your body is at war with itself fighting the change going on. What you are doing IS working!!! Don't be discouraged at all! I promise you, you will see and feel the changes - just keep going - mind over matter you can do this! :-)