Question for the ladies.....

Options

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Check ahead with the salon as some places will not do pedicures on little ones.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think it can't hurt for them to do maybe a little care, buffing, making sure the nails are shaped right to avoid ingrowing toenails (believe me, mine were agony!).

But say no to varnish.

I am willing to bet his daughter is looking for polish not to avoid ingrown toenails etc.

I have friends who have young daughters who were obsessed with nail polish, makeup etc at a young age. I have an old fashion idea about this. I simply think little girls should stay little as long as they can.

If your daughter is a "girly girl' maybe in time someone can paint her toes but I think always teaching them about inner beauty and teaching them the negativity surrounding vanity etc is important.

I have no children but I think if I have a girl I want a tomboy!

Well, I'm definitely instilling other values in her and she's a girly girl with a side of tom boy.....Goes to the gym with me almost every time I go. Lifts her 5lb dumbells and walks the track while I do my lifting. It just kind of amazed me that she's putting that much effort (saving) for a pedi. lol

Thats really cute that she comes to the gym with you. You sound like a good father and your daughter sounds very well rounded. She must really want it if she saved her money like that.

I think its no real harm but just making sure she doesn't become obsessed with beauty and vain (liek some of my friends children ha ha) then it should be all good. Sounds like she has some real balance in her life.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    One more thing, Dad... know that all nail salons are not created equal. I've kept acrylics for a very long time now so I'm a bit of a nail snob, I admit it. I have my nails done at least twice a month.

Some of the ones that have walk in specials in the mall are no the best in terms of being sanitary - they often (not always) work in volume, do not replace their files and such as often as they should, and skimp on supplies.

Look for a place that soaks and/or heats their tools after every session and watch if and how they clean their stations. It will tell you a lot. I personally would avoid the place at the mall, but that's just me.
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that as long as you are instilling other values in her like kindness and generosity and other traits to make her a well rounded little lady then a little vanity shouldn't be cause for concern.

^this

and RE: vanity, a six year old child isn't concerned with vanity. she is probably emulating something she sees a parent or aunt do because it looks "fun" and she wants to be like them. when adults spin this type of thing as vanity and tell a child no who saves for something she thinks is special I think it sends the totally wrong message. equating a pedicure to a child with a face full of makeup every day is not the same thing.

One of the definitions of vanity is something worthless, trivial, or pointless. But I agree she probably does not care about a term like vanity but it is a parent's role to care. Especially because what if the people she is looking up to are the "vain" that you wish to keep her from and they are who she is emulating. I'm all for pedicures, make up and making you feel good about yourself but I stand firm that little girls need so much more than to be told they are pretty little girls.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It will be fine girls like that kinda thing. And as for the future husband if she saved weeks for this then I think he will have no worries lol
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 5 in Sept and Im DYING to have a mommy-daughter date to get her nails/pedi done with me!
    When I get my nails done and come home she inspects them to make sure they are a pretty color not chipped and everything lol
    She loves her nails painted and would paint them EVERY day if I would let her!

June we went to Disney World we did the whole princess package at the park....hair/makeup/nails/outfit/pictures to turn her into a princess...I've never seen her so happy. :)

No problem being a well groomed lady.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    WARNING: the following comments are tongue in cheek (kinda)

1) Tomboys can still grow up to be "girly-girls" who go to the spa, get their nails done, and buy cute shoes and purses....

2) Don't worry about the future husband.....You should be teaching your daughter to make her OWN money, so she's never, EVER financially dependent on a man. She, and you, will be happier knowing she will never have to stay in an unhealthy relationship because she can financially take care of herself....and she can spend HER money on whatever the hell she wants. :drinker:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I had my first mani/pedi when I was about 2. I was sick and after couple if weeks in hospital my parents took me home. They asked me if I wanted something special and I explained my needs - hair and man/pedi.

And yes, I'm very vain. And all my ex husbands will tell you I'm a high maintenance girl. And that's why they loved me. Lol

Go ahead and treat your baby :)
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments gals. I'm not going to hold her back from her goal and will probably have her do some little chore this evening to earn that $3. Believe me, she gets enough from Me, Mom, and others. I like to see her earning and saving.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Heck at least she's saving her $. Mine is 18 now and all she's ever managed to do is spend it! Save, what is that concept! :grumble:
  • Miz_Sparklez
    Miz_Sparklez Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    First off....good girl for saving up and working for something she wants. Good daddy for teaching her some money saving values!! This is WIN WIN....she is not too young for a pedi. It is all fun and pretty. Let her have a good time and be pampered a little. Plus she will have the cutest tootsies!!
  • DRTChic
    DRTChic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When my 6 yr old neice graduated from Kindergarten in May, a pedicure was what we wanted as a present from me. They had a pink butterfly chair and a DVD player set up. She was in heaven!:love:
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Options
    The idea of having someone else touch my feet (other then my boyfriend) grosses me out! I am 34 and never had a pedicure...I know I am the odd one out here. I have never had a manicure either..or a facial, or a skin peel or.....any of those things. Nothing wrong with it I suppose just not for me!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    WARNING: the following comments are tongue in cheek (kinda)

1) Tomboys can still grow up to be "girly-girls" who go to the spa, get their nails done, and buy cute shoes and purses....

<-- This one didn't :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The idea of having someone else touch my feet (other then my boyfriend) grosses me out! I am 34 and never had a pedicure...I know I am the odd one out here. I have never had a manicure either..or a facial, or a skin peel or.....any of those things. Nothing wrong with it I suppose just not for me!

37 and never had a manicure or a pedicure or a facial, or a skin peel either.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Options

37 and never had a manicure or a pedicure or a facial, or a skin peel either.

I like you!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I think you should take her and add the 3 bucks and let her do it....how fun for a little girl!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom painting my nails this dark dark blue colour when I was 6 or 7. I was so thrilled! An older gentleman saw them later was asked me if my mother knew what I had done and I was all "she painted them!"

I don't see the harm in getting them painted, it will be something that she remembers as a positive experience. I think as long as little girls get lots of praise for being smart, kind, and active then its ok to also do positive things that make them feel pretty.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know 7 year olds get discounts on pedicures. brb. Gotta find 12 quarters and some pigtails. Hey, I'm only 5'2". It could fly.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I say let her do it --- Girls are girls :) let her make herself feel pretty!!