why do i get bruises on my legs when i run

Options
Dont know why i get bruises on my legs while running

Replies

• jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you either, but I get them too, on my ankles and sides of my shin usually. And almost every time I go running...weird.
  • aNewCreation84
    Options
    Same here. But, not just while running... because, I don't run... but, while doing any type of exercising (mainly uphill walking, lunges, push-ups). I just don't understand it...
  • AprilKnits
    AprilKnits Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too and I have a lovely one on my wrist after some upper body strength training. I have always bruised easily and I guess it is just spontaneous small hemorrhages under the skin caused by the extra pressure on the blood vessels when we exercise. I don't think they are anything to worry about.
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Ever since I started exercising 6 days a week, and hitting the weights... I've been getting bruises all over my legs and arms! I asked my trainer about it, and she said that, " bruising goes with the territory"

...whatever that means. lol.
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get bruises on the side of my shins...

For the longest time I thought I had a severe form of shin-splints. But I saw the doctor and we think blood is actually collecting in the space around my bones/muscles giving the appearance of bruises. (Basically a mild form of compartments syndrome brought on by a prior injury and I don't want the current form of treatment).

I feel intense pressure when I run too, but I still run. (Intense is an understatement) To treat it though I have someone massage upwards (it is really painful and a lot of pressure is needed) but it is the only thing that provides relief.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't know. sounds odd, like blood vessles breaking on their own or blood pooling, or you trip over cinderblocks but can't remember it....
    I would see a doctor about random bruising.
    I get bruises from deadlifts, but it's from banging the bar.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    1. Something is off about your running form, as others remarked.
    2. You need more iron and/or vitamin C in your diet. Bruising too easily could be as sign of a micronutrient deficiency.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    thank goodness I am not the only one!!
  • Jme1abd
    Jme1abd Posts: 4
    Options
    It could be impact of your legs hitting the ground. Do you wear anything inside your shoes for padding? Maybe increase the amount of the padding. The sock liners that come inside most running shoes don't do much cushioning if at all. I use the Classic 100% sorbothane full sole insert inside my shoes. It is incredible, feels like you hardly know you touch down on pavement. These cost about $35.00 available at www.rxsorbo.com. One pair will last a very long time. Another thing could be that your arches are either too high or too low. Do you know if you pronate or supinate while running? If you look at the bottom of your shoes for uneven wear, that will tell you about your natural stride. Maybe you need arch support. I would check with a podiatrist who knows about running and athletics to find out why you bruise. It doesn't seem to just "go with the territory." Or have your blood chemistry checked by a doctor. It could be a medical problem. Good luck.