Dating Sites?

Options
wfp76
wfp76 Posts: 26
I'm not there yet, but I've been really thinking about trying online dating. Does anyone have advice, recomendations, stories or tips. Anything would be useful. I'm a little nervous about trying it, but aslo looking forward to moving forward.

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'd probably recommend Tinder. I wrote an article on it a while back and was interviewing users on there. It seemed like everyone using it had legitimate reasons and it matches you by proximity (you have to click each other). Seemed to have minimal weirdos as well
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice or stories. Just wanted to say good luck with it :flowerforyou:
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would say - don't try MySingleFriend, do try speed dating.

MySingleFriend is great but it has a huge drawback - there is no way of knowing who has a free membership and therefore can't read emails or write back. The reasoning behind this (which I sort of agree with) is that if this was obvious then the people with free memberships would never get any messages and they want everyone to get messages. But ultimately, when you become a paying user and you start sending people messages, you don't know if you're not getting any responses because they're rejecting you or because they simply can't read your message and won't pay $$$ to do it. So overall the satisfaction level was pretty low.

For about the same money you can actually MEET actual people in a speed dating situation.

If you go online, studies prove that when ladies write to the gents first, they have a much higher rate of getting a reply, so don't be shy - if you see a dude you like, drop him a line! :) if you don't know what to say, comment on something in his photo (s).

Online dating is a lot of fun, and in worst case scenario you'll have fantastic date stories to tell for years to come!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any experience with it, but I met my husband on my personal profile.... wasn't looking for it, he send me a text and everything went well
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    tips???

if you plan on traveling to meet someone, you must talk to the person on camara....
    don't believe everything..... I guess I wouldn't really ask much while talking to the person online because you aren't looking at their face
    don't rush things out
    usually perfect model pics are fake profiles (not all)
    try to get a date after talking for 2 weeks-- before 2 months
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to stay away from the free sites. Had two bad experiences on Plenty of Fish. I would recommend EHarmony or Match.
  • RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    MeetUp.com is a good place to meet people with common interests for socializing, friendship, dating. They have groups made up of every interest you can think of, and these groups have "meet ups" (activities) based on the interest subject. It is a national thing (maybe even international, not sure), and then broken down by state, city, even zip code.

For instance, I am in a horror movie group, singles over 40 group, walking/hiking group, I love the 80s group, AOK (acts of kindness) volunteer group.... things I enjoy and organized activities with like-minded others. While not a dating site per se, I know of many people who have met their match while participating in these casual, no pressure meet ups.

It is free to join the site - some groups then have dues, some activites have costs associated with that particular activity; each group has a coordinator(s) and their own specific requirements for joining. I recommend at least checking it out.

Good luck!
  • wfp76
    Options
    Thanks, I looked into Tinder and MeetUp.com both don't look too popular in my area(somewhat rural). Thanks though I feeling more confident about trying,
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It's fun and easy and really cheap entertainment. :wink: I met my husband on Match.com. After my divorce, my best friend decided it was time for me to get back on the horse. She paid for a 1 year membership and set up a profile for me. Then she called and said, "Hey, I set you up a Match profile. Here's the login info. You might want to go change what I wrote about you. Right. Now." She always knows how to get my butt in gear. Ha ha!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I used okcupid.com a couple of times.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    okcupid is cool.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I used okcupid.com a couple of times.

Jinks!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    First, NEVER i repeat NEVER trust anyone online. I know this seems a little backward but until proven in real life it is all just a lie. This will save you some heartache and pain down the road.

2. It's all just online until you meet. It's not a real relationship until you meet.

3. Dont give up the goods via webcam or photos until youve met and he's seen the goods in real life. Nice dressed full body pics are fine but nothing more than that.

4. Talk to everyone. Be open to a million flirts and chats. Just dont make it look obvious no one likes to see a cereal onliner.

5. Just be open to meeting friends, going for coffee, or meeting up with you when your out with friends.

6. No pressure on anyone this isnt real life it's not a relationship. You are simply talking and getting to know each other.

7. If he lives in the same city and doesnt meet you in a month for something as simple as coffee he's just playing you.

8. Long distance is fine as long as you both understand nothing is real until that first meeting. I've had online guys say they love me and I used to tell them I wont know if I love you till I meet you.

9. When meeting for the first time public place.

10. Trust your gut instinct if it says run..you run and run fast.

11. Have fun, flirt, be silly, and just keep your options open.

PS-I've broken most of these and paid the consequences.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I met my ex on a dating site.

I met the love of my life in a chat room.(8 years together)

Definitely don't get "catfished" pretty much what everyone said. Plus don't rush it. I used Match.com for the ex.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    MFP not a good enough dating site for you?

just go check out some of the topics in chit chat
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I remember my days of being on PoF(plenty of fish) .I only maybe met two guys out of dozens that actually took me on a date.All of the others either lived with their mothers,was jobless or married.Most of them were just looking to get laid and would invite me over to watch "movies".I'm not single anymore but if I was I think I would shell out the money for a paid site,I think that would weed out alot of those that were only interested in hooking up.
  • wfp76
    Options
    Thanks Again for the advice. I'm going to go for a pay site I think, which one is the do you think is my best bet? I know of Match & E-Harmony is there a better pay site. I'm looking to just get out there and get to know more people, not looking to "hook-up". I have alot of friends (female & male), I'm not against making more friends but looking to go on dates and seeing what else or who else is around. Thanks again for all the help.
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    PoF is good if you just want a hook up or a buddy. Idk I met my husband on WoW (world of warcraft) ...DONT JUDGE lol
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    I thought this was a dating/hook up site?!?!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    learn ot ignore the creeps - there are always people on those sites that are only looking for a quick hookup.

consider joining a site or group for an interest that you have. that way you know that any relationship that grows out of it, you'll have that interest in common. I met my fiancé on a fan website for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's a relatively small site, maybe only 150-200 active users (much less nowadays as the series ended) but we've got about 10 couples who met each other there, and are together for 5 years or longer.