Alcohol

Options
Hi everyone!

This is where a fair few of my calories come from. I love craft beers and Guinness and being Irish, drinking is a big part of my lifestyle. I want to still go out and enjoy myself, but I'm wondering what the lowest calorie drinks are? I've hear Dry Martini is pretty low? Anyone any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• kevinphallus
    Options
    Liquor or Liquor in diet soda. :D
  • kristenmascio
    kristenmascio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vodka and Crystal light packets mixed with water!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I drink and it isn't hard to fit in, really.

Sparkling wine isn't that high, a flute is less than 100 cal.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love beer too. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is my fave. The calories add up easy with a few of those.

I found vodka and grapefruit juice is yummy. Also, vodka with flavored sparkling water. Vodka with cherry lime sparkling water is really yummy.
  • cnotefwb
    cnotefwb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like vodka and Total Zero Red Bull. Or vodka with diet sprite and some water flavorer. Or vodka and water with fruit. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Pfff... I'll work my *kitten* off in the gym, earn enough extra calories, and enjoy a real beer before I start fading into "Hey, just use diet vodka and cucumber water" as a substitute.

Edit: getdrunknotfat.com can help. Clear liquor is the best bang for your buck, but I'm sticking to my craft beer guns on this one.

Craft beer for me. I'm drinking to enjoy what I'm drinking because it tastes good, though.. not just a "what's a low calorie buzz."
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The darker the drink the higher the sugar content

Vodka and gin are high in ABV but pretty much the lowest in cals.

Guinness is high up on the calorie list.

Lager would be lower..and so on and so forth :smile:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    also when i go out i dance, and dancing calories burned usually = alcohol calories drunk, more or less. Sure you're not gonna come out under, but you're gonna break even. especially if said dancing is conducted in heels :)
  • NanniJanni
    Options
    Unfortunately, with all the chemicals in them "diet" drinks are worse than regular. If you want to drink, try drinking one glass of water after every alcoholic one. That way you drink less overall and your kidneys get a flushing as well.:smile:
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Depends what you aim for. A beer is healthier than liquor, crystal light, or diet soda in terms of "clean eating" and all natural but if you just want to go with calories, I do flavored vodka and water and I squeeze limes and lemons in it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Lucky for you, Guinness is one of the lowest-cal beers out there without going to light beer - 125 calories for 12 oz, I think. Careful with the other craft beers, though... Most of the ones I like run 200-300 cals per 12 oz. Liquors like vodka, whiskey, tequila, etc will be between 65 and 75 calories per ounce, so if mixed with calorie free mixers or drunk straight it's about as low cal as you'll get. Keep in mind a standard pour at a bar is 1.5 oz, though. Wine will run you 130 calories (white) to 150 calories (red) per 6 oz glass.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Unfortunately, with all the chemicals in them "diet" drinks are worse than regular. If you want to drink, try drinking one glass of water after every alcoholic one. That way you drink less overall and your kidneys get a flushing as well.:smile:

THIS.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you are going to choose a healthy and fit lifestyle, drink what you want to drink in moderation. If you are not capable of moderation, then calories are not your problem.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Lucky for you, Guinness is one of the lowest-cal beers out there without going to light beer - 125 calories for 12 oz, I think. Careful with the other craft beers, though... Most of the ones I like run 200-300 cals per 12 oz. Liquors like vodka, whiskey, tequila, etc will be between 65 and 75 calories per ounce, so if mixed with calorie free mixers or drunk straight it's about as low cal as you'll get. Keep in mind a standard pour at a bar is 1.5 oz, though. Wine will run you 130 calories (white) to 150 calories (red) per 6 oz glass.

that's a high estimate for wine, I have never found it to be that high?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Careful with the other craft beers, though... Most of the ones I like run 200-300 cals per 12 oz.
    That just means you like good beer. High five.

Also, a lot of wines that I see are between 12% and 15% abv. That being the case, doesn't it round up to about 30 calories per oz for that? If it's a 6 oz pour, 175 is right in the ballpark for wine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    booze....on the rocks or with some soda water. I'm partial to vodka and soda with lime. I also like beer, but I really have to limit my intake when I'm seriously trying to trim the fat.
  • HeatherBetsy
    HeatherBetsy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Crystal Light until now. We can't get it in Ireland as far as I can see, but I'll definitely look into ordering it online!
  • HeatherBetsy
    HeatherBetsy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pfff... I'll work my *kitten* off in the gym, earn enough extra calories, and enjoy a real beer before I start fading into "Hey, just use diet vodka and cucumber water" as a substitute.

Edit: getdrunknotfat.com can help. Clear liquor is the best bang for your buck, but I'm sticking to my craft beer guns on this one.

Craft beer for me. I'm drinking to enjoy what I'm drinking because it tastes good, though.. not just a "what's a low calorie buzz."

You're right, Trogalicious! And I'll still enjoy my craftbeers, but I wouldn't mind substituting them with lower cal drinks from time to time. I'm only starting out with my weightloss, so maybe when I'm fitter and closer to goal I can indulge a little more! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I definitely love my lager beer! Amstel Light is pretty low calorie - I think it's only 95 calories!! :drinker: Cheers!!!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Luckily my drink of choice is Prosecco and its only 69 cals a glass, that might be a little to frou-frou for you though =)