1400 calories a day is hard for me. Suggestions?

Options
alabbey
alabbey Posts: 28 Member
Hello all! I have recently switched over from WW to MFP. I have lost 75 pounds on WW but regained about 8 pounds due to slacking off on my eating. I am back on track with MFP and super excited to get to my final goal. I have set my weight loss for 1.5 pounds a week and have been allotted 1400 calories a day. This has been tough for me!! I am not starving by any means, but mentally it is a struggle. I am wondering if it is because on WW we were allowed extra points throughout the week in case we were going to eat out or had a more hungry day??

I am a Jazzercise instructor and I work out quite a bit. I do eat back the calories I burn. However, today I am not working out and am having a hard time sticking to 1400 calories a day. Any suggestions???

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eat more? Try 1600 or 1800.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 and I totally agree it's DIFFICULT. I pretty much have to workout if I want to net 1200 and still eat what I consider to be decent meals. I completely agree with upping your calories. I have a range 1200-1400 (which for me is fine since my job means I sit around all day and don't expend much energy). Aim for 1400, but really focus on staying within a range that gives you about 100-200 calories of wiggle room. I don't believe that eating a whole bunch of little meals means that you lose weight faster, but it does help to keep me at my calorie goal. Bottom line, if you're hungry eat, if you're not hungry, don't eat. I know it sounds easier than it actually is, but there's not point in overeating or under-eating. Listen to your body.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Since I can't see your diary, I don't know what you are eating. I would just say that maybe you need to pre-plan your day so that you are getting the most satisfaction that you can out of your 1400 calories. I lost 20 pounds eating a net 1200 calories a day (no negative comments please), so I know that 1400 calories should get you through the day if you eat wisely. If you are really having problems with this amount, you can change your goal to losing .5 pounds per week--you will be allotted more calories per day. I find that I do best with 3 planned meals per day, and a morning snack and a late afternoon snack. I try to make sure that I include some protein in the snacks. And congrats on your weight loss--that's great!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you switch to losing 1 lb a week your calories will increase and that extra room may work better for you.
  • alabbey
    alabbey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your helpful tips. I may up my calories a little bit and see if that helps!! :)
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I also switched from WW to MFP, and I was struggling a bit at first as well.

Consider this:

I had 29 points on WW. That's about 1150 calories.
    I eat around 200 calories a day in fruits and vegetables which were 'free' on WW.
    On a good workout week, I would eat all of my weekly points but not my APs. If I didn't workout, I would eat about 1/2 my WPA. (this is obviously a personal preference, so you could calculate based on what was successful for you. All of my WP = 2000 calories. 1/2 = 1000 calories.

So this would mean, if you add this up and divide weeklies by 7, I was eating about 1600/day and losing weight when I was really "On program." Those are just round numbers, but just something that it took me a little while to wrap my brain around. If you do a similar calculation, you may find that you can eat more and be just as successful!
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have recently switched over from WW to MFP. I have lost 75 pounds on WW but regained about 8 pounds due to slacking off on my eating. I am back on track with MFP and super excited to get to my final goal. I have set my weight loss for 1.5 pounds a week and have been allotted 1400 calories a day. This has been tough for me!! I am not starving by any means, but mentally it is a struggle. I am wondering if it is because on WW we were allowed extra points throughout the week in case we were going to eat out or had a more hungry day??

I am a Jazzercise instructor and I work out quite a bit. I do eat back the calories I burn. However, today I am not working out and am having a hard time sticking to 1400 calories a day. Any suggestions???

Have you thought about doing the TDEE thing?
    There is loads of info on it in these forums.. do a search. It might be more suited to you?