swimming ??

Options
hello everyone
i just want to ask
1) is swimming a good form of exercise
2) how many calories 1 hr of swimming approximately burns ?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    hello everyone
    i just want to ask

1) Depends on your goals and what you're looking for in an exercise.
    2) Calorie burns are unique to each individual. If you log it in MFP, it should give you an approximation. Just be wary of that number, as MFP has been known to be a bit off on estimations of burns.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    hello everyone
    i just want to ask

1) Depends on your goals and what you're looking for in an exercise.
    2) Calorie burns are unique to each individual. If you log it in MFP, it should give you an approximation. Just be wary of that number, as MFP has been known to be a bit off on estimations of burns.

#WINNING
  • jganton
    jganton Posts: 2
    Options
    Swimming is a wonderful form of exercise. Cals per hour are of course wholly dependent upon the intensity of your effort and the temperature of the pool. One thing to keep in mind however is that post swim hunger tends to be greater than the hunger following any other form of aerobic exercise which can lead to over eating. Especially if you aren't clear on calories burned during the workout. If you engage in ~15 minutes of light non swimming aerobic exercise after your swim your hunger level will be greatly reduced.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    swimming is an awesome form of exercise It uses a lot of core if done properly and burning without feeling the sweat! No joint impact either and total body exercise. MFP has a fairly accurate rating on this exercise based on intensity and your weight start there. Remember snce you are in the water you forget hydraton is important if you swim for an hour!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best full body aerobic exercises you could possibly do...it's also very low impact, so ideal for individuals with joint problems, etc. As far as calorie burn goes, it's impossible to say definitively...your calorie burn for 1 hour is going to be different then my 1 hour...too many variables...your stats vs my stats, as well as level of effort, what stroke(s) you're using, etc.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Copied from another website :happy:

The Benefits of Swimming

One of the often repeated comments about swimming is that it exercises your entire body. The truth of this really depends on how you approach swimming. It is possible to get in a pool and swim on your back without exerting much energy at all. However, if you are swimming laps using a stroke such as the front crawl or the breast stroke, you will use the muscles of your legs, arms, shoulders, buttocks and more.

If you are swimming at a fast pace, racing others for example, or racing against your personal best, you will experience the cardiovascular benefits of swimming. Your heart will work harder and faster to generate energy. Your lungs will also strengthen as you breathe more quickly and intensely.

Swimming is an ideal form of exercise if you are dealing with injuries. For example, if you are a runner and your knees can no longer endure the impact of running, swimming will be a more manageable way to get your daily exercise.

You can also use swimming to warm up and cool down before or after running, cycling or another form of fitness activity. Swimming allows you to gradually increase your heart rate, increase your blood circulation and warm up your muscles. You can also isolate particular muscles in swimming. For example, you may want to hang on to the edge of the pool and only kick your legs. You could lie on a flutter board and move only your arms.

As a form of exercise, swimming can be very meditative. It may be very soothing and relaxing for you to swim laps at a leisurely speed or float on your back and look at the sky.

The Limitations of Swimming

If your goal is to bulk up and build larger muscles, swimming may not be your ideal form of exercise. You will need to lift weights to increase bulk. Additionally, if your goal is to strengthen your bones, you will need to do weight training or similar weight bearing exercise.

Swimming intensely does burn off many calories. However, when you swim, you burn off calories while in the water. The work of calorie burning slows and quickly stops after you stop swimming. This is in contrast to other types of exercise where your body continues to burn calories while it returns your body temperature to normal.

All in all, swimming is a great workout for your body. It works your lungs, heart and the muscles of your entire body. It is not the ideal activity if your goal is to bulk up or strengthen your bones. It is, however, a fun fitness activity that you can do alone or with others. You may also enjoy the meditative aspect of exercising in water.
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I swim an hour a day or more ....should be around 667 ...I've been swimming for 5 months and have lost 43 lbs. so far ...12 more to go..
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Swimming gives me the swimmers body. Flat stomach and wide upper chest. I guess because my lunges are growing and expanding to provide more oxgen to my body.

It is good though.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sure is!, I do it every day in the summer.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great form of exercise. I have had the chance to work closely with some Olympic swimmers. They are in amazing shape. Normally I think I am in pretty good shape, but when I see them I think "damn", I have a looong way to go lol
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love going swimming as part of my exercise! It is low impact, so its good for your joints but it can be a great fat burner if you go for intense cardio. Swimming laps is excellent. As far as how many cals you burn, as everyone else has said, it depends on the individual (time, body weight, intensity, etc)
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Swimming gives me the swimmers body. Flat stomach and wide upper chest. I guess because my lungs are growing and expanding to provide more oxygen to my body.

It is good though.

The wide upper chest is probably from developing your chest and back muscles, not your lungs or ribs expanding. :)