PMS cravings explained!

Options
Hello friends!

I stumbled across this article on CNN. If the link doens't work, just copy & paste.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/18/seven.habits.snackers/index.html?iref=obinsite

But this is the part I found extremely interesting and I had that little light bulb go off and thought "A-ha! That makes sense!"

5. Once a month, allow yourself more

Is it that time of the month? Women are most likely to binge or overeat in the two weeks prior to their periods if they've ovulated (most women on the Pill do not ovulate).

Menstrual flow is triggered by the secretion of progesterone, which is thermogenic, or calorie burning. Thus, without so much as lifting an extra three-pound weight -- or finger, for that matter -- your body burns more calories than it does during the rest of the month, and your hunger kicks in to compensate.

In a study at the University of British Columbia, women ate an average of 260 extra calories a day when they were ovulating.

Replies

• misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Only 260 calories? I find that hard to believe, once a month I feel like I could eat enough chocolate to put Willy Wonka out of business XD
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was like that last week, I couldnt understand why I was so hungry. I do always get like that before I start. At least I dont feel guilty now...lol
  • samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options
    That is interesting...so I WONDER if that is the reason WHY women gain weight when they are on birth control. Because they are NOT ovulating and not burning those extra calories that they were. My Dr. told me my weight issue HAD nothing to do with my birth control, and more to do with my everyday starbucks run...yes true...but I found my ability to loose weight MUCH easier once I stopped birth control. Don't take my thoughts to the extreme though, don't want woman to go off birth control for the sake of a few pounds, and find themselves with baby in tow!
  • jac2lyn
    jac2lyn Posts: 90
    Options
    I am on the pill and about a week before my period I am sooo hungry. I always want to eat something and often I go for hte bad sweets. I try to bake something healthy to help me but I always want more! (BAD) I am actually at that point this week and I hate it. On top of it I had to fast for 15 hours last night into today so now I want everything. I had blood taken today. Does that make people hungry too! Who knows!!

Anyway, my treat tonight is a delicious cookie my husband got me from my favortie bakery. Hey I deserve it, I have been through blood tests etc the last two weeks and my arms look like I have a bad habit (its embarrasing to be honest having marks all over my arms) Anyway, eat away during that time ladies, we all deserve it!!!