Alcohol

Options

Replies

• wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, with all the chemicals in them "diet" drinks are worse than regular. If you want to drink, try drinking one glass of water after every alcoholic one. That way you drink less overall and your kidneys get a flushing as well.:smile:

Show me a scientific study involving artificial sweeteners saying the chemicals are "worse" then lets say same amount of glucose.
  • zepol87
    zepol87 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am a beernerd so I will drink some of the high calorie stuff, right now its super hot and I am not enjoying very man Bigfoots or Belgian dubbels so that helps. For me just bust your tail and work your beer into your diet. If you know you are going out then thats the motivation you need to double time it in the gym. Also a homebrewer so I always have beer around lol
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    Yeah craft beers will get you! Fat Tire really gives you a fat tire. I've mostly given those up. Occasionally I will have only 1 if I have like 200 calories to throw out the window.

My "go-to" beverages

Michelob Ultra and Yuengling Light... If it's on special for less than $3 - Coors Light, PBR.

Cabernet, Merlot, Dry Red Wine

Dry Gin Martini, Rum and Diet Coke, Vodka and club soda with lime, tequila shots.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Figured this fun copy and paste would be a fun read rather than just linking it.

"Drinking Stout Is Good For You

It Has Less Calories Than Beer
    Thick and frothy, and with an alcohol content of up to eight per cent, it’s understandable why stout is often misunderstood as packing more calories than other types of beer. The truth is, it is actually lighter on your waistline. In fact, a mug of stout can have up to 50 fewer calories than other brews. And if you switch a six-pack of beer for stout for one week, you’ll put on less weight – nearly 2kg – in the span of a year! How’s that for an excuse to clank mugs?

It Contains Antioxidants
    Yes, stout really is healthier. Researchers from the University of Wisconsin in the US found that stout possesses antioxidants not found in other lagers. What’s more, it also contains traces of iron, says Sheeba Majmudar, nutritionist and founder of the Herbal Health Clinic (sheebathenutritionist.com). It turns out the high-temperature roasting process that is required to develop the smooth finish of dark malts also fuels the formation of antioxidants.

“Dark beers are loaded with them and, on average, contain nearly twice the amount of antioxidants found in light-coloured lagers,” says Joe Vinson, PhD, a researcher at the University of Scranton in the US. “The antioxidants in beer are better at reacting with toxic free radicals than the ones in antioxidant vitamin pills.”

It Can Help Reduce Blood Clotting
    Food doesn’t need to be paired only with wine. Stout is perfect with full-bodied foods like steak because “they have caramelised and roasted flavours that match perfectly with the char on the meat,” says Garrett Oliver, author of The Brewmaster’s Table.

Another good reason to chug stout with food is that the flavinoids in dark beer can reduce the risk of blood clotting, says John D Folts, PhD, professor of medicine and director of the Coronary Thrombosis Research Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin in the US. Drinking stout with meals can help fight the free radicals that are triggered when the body begins metabolising food."
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yeah craft beers will get you!
    No. Caloric surplus will. Hit your macro goals, maintain a caloric deficit, and you'll lose. Don't hate on beer, even if fat tire was the only real beer you named.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    tequila shots
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Figured this fun copy and paste would be a fun read rather than just linking it.

"Drinking Stout Is Good For You

It Has Less Calories Than Beer
    Thick and frothy, and with an alcohol content of up to eight per cent, it’s understandable why stout is often misunderstood as packing more calories than other types of beer. The truth is, it is actually lighter on your waistline. In fact, a mug of stout can have up to 50 fewer calories than other brews. And if you switch a six-pack of beer for stout for one week, you’ll put on less weight – nearly 2kg – in the span of a year! How’s that for an excuse to clank mugs?

It Contains Antioxidants
    Yes, stout really is healthier. Researchers from the University of Wisconsin in the US found that stout possesses antioxidants not found in other lagers. What’s more, it also contains traces of iron, says Sheeba Majmudar, nutritionist and founder of the Herbal Health Clinic (sheebathenutritionist.com). It turns out the high-temperature roasting process that is required to develop the smooth finish of dark malts also fuels the formation of antioxidants.

“Dark beers are loaded with them and, on average, contain nearly twice the amount of antioxidants found in light-coloured lagers,” says Joe Vinson, PhD, a researcher at the University of Scranton in the US. “The antioxidants in beer are better at reacting with toxic free radicals than the ones in antioxidant vitamin pills.”

It Can Help Reduce Blood Clotting
    Food doesn’t need to be paired only with wine. Stout is perfect with full-bodied foods like steak because “they have caramelised and roasted flavours that match perfectly with the char on the meat,” says Garrett Oliver, author of The Brewmaster’s Table.

Another good reason to chug stout with food is that the flavinoids in dark beer can reduce the risk of blood clotting, says John D Folts, PhD, professor of medicine and director of the Coronary Thrombosis Research Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin in the US. Drinking stout with meals can help fight the free radicals that are triggered when the body begins metabolising food."

2 kg less from what.... still a high amount of cals IMO.

I limit myself to two drinks on the weekdays / 3-5 drinks on the weekends of Rum and diets. All those cals add up, so literally rum and diet is probably the only way i could get by.

Just run them off and lift and you'll slow your progress but not that bad.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, with all the chemicals in them "diet" drinks are worse than regular. If you want to drink, try drinking one glass of water after every alcoholic one. That way you drink less overall and your kidneys get a flushing as well.:smile:

Show me a scientific study involving artificial sweeteners saying the chemicals are "worse" then lets say same amount of glucose.

Stuff like this is funny to me. "I want to ingest fermented brain poison, but I don't know about the other brain poison in those sweeteners.
  • erinnibhaoil
    erinnibhaoil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first time I joined this app I switched from wine to vodka and 7up because there were less calories. You could drink it with soda water but I cant stand the taste. Vodka and 7up has since become my drink on a night out. I don't feel as bloated the following day either..
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I played netball tonight, came off court and had a couple of beers. I call that 'balance':p
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Stuff like this is funny to me. "I want to ingest fermented brain poison, but I don't know about the other brain poison in those sweeteners.

I think I am in message board love with you. :flowerforyou:
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Crystal Light until now. We can't get it in Ireland as far as I can see, but I'll definitely look into ordering it online!

Skinny Margarita
    12 oz can of Diet Mountain Dew (4 calories)
    Shot of Tequila (69 calories)
    1/8 packet of Crystal Light or store brand Margarita Lime Drink Mix (5 calories). If you can't find. You can squeeze a lime.

Total 78 calories

Mix all ingredients together in a tall glass with ice. Extremely tasty & refreshing. Even have the hubby hooked on them.:drinker:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Vodka & diet anything. I prefer Diet Cherry 7up or diet sprite. It's a nice crisp taste for summer.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Crystal Light until now. We can't get it in Ireland as far as I can see, but I'll definitely look into ordering it online!

Skinny Margarita
    12 oz can of Diet Mountain Dew (4 calories)
    Shot of Tequila (69 calories)
    1/8 packet of Crystal Light or store brand Margarita Lime Drink Mix (5 calories). If you can't find. You can squeeze a lime.

Total 78 calories

Mix all ingredients together in a tall glass with ice. Extremely tasty & refreshing. Even have the hubby hooked on them.:drinker:

That sounds amazing! I will have to try it.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was feeling a little low on protein last night, so I drank a mug of 2% milk. With a shot of rum in it. No regrets.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Vodka
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The darker the drink the higher the sugar content

Vodka and gin are high in ABV but pretty much the lowest in cals.

Guinness is high up on the calorie list.

Lager would be lower..and so on and so forth :smile:

Guiness is not high up on the calorie list.

Guinness is on my light beer/low calorie list.

The reality is that 12 ounces of the full-bodied, ruby red stuff has just 125 calories, which is less than the same amount of the orange stuff (OJ: 183 calories) and the white stuff (skim milk: 135 calories). It's also less than many popular beers, including regular Budweiser (143), Coors Original (148), Dos Equis (145), Miller Genuine (143), Sam Adams Boston Lager (160), Sierra Nevada Stout (225) and Anchor Porter (205). Even Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, with 176 calories per 12 ounces, is comparatively low in calories.

ETA - Color and sugar content are unrelated. Guiness is dark due to somewhat burnt malt.

By your reasoning Pina Coladas would be low in sugar.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

This is where a fair few of my calories come from. I love craft beers and Guinness and being Irish, drinking is a big part of my lifestyle. I want to still go out and enjoy myself, but I'm wondering what the lowest calorie drinks are? I've hear Dry Martini is pretty low? Anyone any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Being also Irish, I highly recommend Jameson or Tully with Diet Ginger Ale. A measured shot is 67 calories.

ETA: Irish by ancestry, not by location...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have to severly limit or almsot completley stop my drinking now.. to support my man... ah the things we do for love.. will be good for the waist I guess..

I will drink vicariously through you all..

but I love guiness and it's the lowest calorie full flavored beer you can get.. I've yet to embrace cystal light with liquoir, but that was next on my list. I'll still have wine when I just need something..

I also just started tracking alochol last week.
    beer has a lot of calories lol