Help! Not hungry enough to eat 1200 calories

Options
Usually in the summer I find myself eating less, probably from laziness. I usually consume 400-1000 calories in the day and it just feels like I'm stuffing myself, I rarely feel hungry. My workouts are generally when I go to cheer practice and I'm usually starving my the end but I finish around 10 and I know how bad it is to eat late at night. I've tried eating a lot more before practice but it needs to be a couple hours in advance so I don't feel food flopping around I my stomache while I tumble, so it usually doesn't work.

Replies

• ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you should struggle to hit 1200. Eat more calorie dense food (nuts, avocados, etc.). Very easy to hit 1200 that way. That, or drink your calories.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you should struggle to hit 1200. Eat more calorie dense food (nuts, avocados, etc.). Very easy to hit 1200 that way. That, or drink your calories.

Yea agree, I think most people who can't eat 1200 are eating high volume food with low calories. Switch to higher calorie foods to get to your goal intake, do that and hopefully you wont mess up your metabolism too much from undereating.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, try out foods that are dense in calories like avocados, nuts, peanut butter, greek yogurt, bananas, protein bars, etc. If your macros permit it, maybe get a nice drink?
    You will reach your calorie goal very quickly.

Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    or drink your calories...I use blue diamond chocolate almond milk to help me out.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you eating that you can feel stuffed on with 400 calories a day?
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is to eat late at night.

It also doesn't matter when you eat. If you're hungry at 11 at night after practice, eat.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    or drink your calories...I use blue diamond chocolate almond milk to help me out.

Mmmmmmm one of my favs. I used to have that problem as well but solved it with previous posters advice. I changed my foods and tried to eat every 2-4 hours. I started making meal smoothies and eating denser foods. This way I was providing my body what it needed. I actually just recently upped my calories to do the whole TDEE thingy and try to eat every 2-4 hours. I now don't know how I ever survived using the preset MFP cal minimum! Best of luck!!
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options

It also doesn't matter when you eat. If you're hungry at 11 at night after practice, eat.

A lot of people experience night terrors and nightmares or crazy dreams if they eat late or right before bed. I am one if these people. I can't eat past 8 or I will have a restless sleep.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    nuts, cheese, avocados, olive oil and fruit smoothies can help make sure you reach your target.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how you are full on 400-1000 cal... it would be awesome for me to stay in that range. What foods do you eat?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

A lot of people experience night terrors and nightmares or crazy dreams if they eat late or right before bed. I am one if these people. I can't eat past 8 or I will have a restless sleep.

But OP is not one of those people, or they would have said so.

For most people who don't get negative side effects from eating late, it really doesn't matter what time you eat in terms of weight loss. Your body cannot tell time.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating late at night, so eat!
  • johnnysdurl13
    Options
    What a hard life. :(
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how you are full on 400-1000 cal... it would be awesome for me to stay in that range. What foods do you eat?

No, it really, really REALLY would not be awesome for you (or anyone else, ever!) to eat just 400-1000 cals a day. This is lunacy and stupidity to the nth degree. (OP is not advocating it, if you pay closer attention, she is trying to eat MORE, so take a hint)

OP, are you familiar with TDEE, and do you know yours? I think even 1200 is too little for you, as it is for most people.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to eat late at night; that's a myth. It's especially not as bad as only eating 400-1000 calories a day. Eat!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    *sigh*
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Eat 'em or drink 'em, it doesn't matter. Calories are calories when you're having trouble getting enough of them. What about those sports drinks loaded to the gills with sugar?
  • Cortney1016
    Options
    I am having the same problem, I cut out fast food and cokes and have much less of an appetite since starting. I am also not very active but I am a pretty big girl at 294 pounds. Sometimes if I eat too much I can't keep it down, everyone is saying to drink your calories but since I am diabetic I can't have anything too sugary, I mostly drink water and the occasional orange juice. Any advice on what I should be doing different?
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, I cut out fast food and cokes and have much less of an appetite since starting. I am also not very active but I am a pretty big girl at 294 pounds. Sometimes if I eat too much I can't keep it down, everyone is saying to drink your calories but since I am diabetic I can't have anything too sugary, I mostly drink water and the occasional orange juice. Any advice on what I should be doing different?

Do you like nuts? They're pretty calorie dense and if you snack on them then you'll pretty soon reach your calorie target. They're reputed to be good for your health, too.

I like nuts. Yummy.
  • vettech14
    vettech14 Posts: 28
    Options
    I struggle with hitting 1200 calories also so your not alone. It's partial reason I have gained weight. My body went into starvation mode. I have been seeing a nutritionist and my eating habits are almost to healthy as she put it. I have incorporated almonds for snacks and I generally drink one or two protein smoothies that I make at home with greens and fruits and other veggies to boost my calories as snacks as well. in the past month I have still only hit 1200 once, but I am at least getting closer every day and that is a huge improvement. Before it was about an average of 700 calories a day. I drink close to a gallon and a half of water so I have cut that back some also not much but some. Good luck and yes some of us do struggle to hit our 1200 calories, its not always an easy task.