Working out twice a day?

Options
I usually go for a 3-4 mile run in the mornings, but some days I simply want to exercise more because it helps relieve some stress and it just makes me feel good. Is it unhealthy, or can I overdo it? I was thinking about doing the 30 Day Shred in the evenings as my second workout. Any help/input is welcome :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I do fairly regularly. This morning was a 4 mile run, tonight it's weights. Tomorrow morning will be swimming and tomorrow evening will be a run. etc

Just make sure you're adequately fueled and monitor yourself for signs of excessive fatigue. If you've already been working out for a while you should be fine.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, as long as you're keeping yourself hydrated, getting enough calories, and all that. Just don't overdo it. Lots of people workout multiple times per day. Even I do sometimes.

Your plan sounds fairly common around here, if memory serves.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I say go for it! You may need to have a evening snack after to help with calorie intake but what is the difference if you did the 30 day shred and then ran all in the morning? Splitting the workouts can be great. Listen to your body and if you are too sore or tired then don't do it everyday!. Goodluck!!!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't running yourself down and adequately fueling yourself for these double sessions, go for it. There are worse things than using exercise to relieve daily stress, am I right?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    People do two a days very often. Just make sure your diet is on point, you are rested and listen to your body if it needs a break.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My only advise would be to add resistance training rather than two cardio sessions per day. Have a little more balance in your fitness regimen.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Most days I do 2 . Just drink plenty of water and eat calories so you stay fueled ~
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i say go for it! if you have the energy and time, do it girl!
    i bike 11 miles to and from work every day. So, I technically work out twice every day :D it has done nothing but help me reach my goals!
    some days I also do extra exercise after i get home!
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What kind of resistance training would you suggest?
    My only advise would be to add resistance training rather than two cardio sessions per day. Have a little more balance in your fitness regimen.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a 3-4 mile run in the mornings, but some days I simply want to exercise more because it helps relieve some stress and it just makes me feel good. Is it unhealthy, or can I overdo it? I was thinking about doing the 30 Day Shred in the evenings as my second workout. Any help/input is welcome :)

Running is cardio ..... Shred is cardio + light weights. Since you have the cardio thing covered already, maybe your second workout could be more weight (strength training) oriented ....or yoga (great for stress relief, flexibility, and balance) ..... I like mix so I don't get bored.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    some times I go 5 to 6 times a day, I start at 4 and do a hour run,,, then I roller blade, then I cycle then I swim, on and on,
    I love it!, gives me a great high,
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What kind of resistance training would you suggest?

Resistance training can use your own body weight (push ups, squats, lunges, planks)

.... or add dumbbells to the mix

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/succeedingwithweights/a/home_dumbbell.htm
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time actually. In fact I track my workouts and most years I am over 450+ workouts a year.

It really comes down to your body and how it is responding. It will tell you if it is too much. Like you I love how it de-stresses me and if I had the time I would probably do it 3 x a day.

So as long as your body is fine with it I say go for it!
  • katrien1
    katrien1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, you've been very helpful!!I would love to start doing some strength training but not really sure where to start.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, you've been very helpful!!I would love to start doing some strength training but not really sure where to start.

If you do not so any, ever, 30 day Shred will be enough until you are stronger. I started with it, and now I am a monster in the gym. It will work you up to doing push ups and other body weight exercises. I couldn't even do a push up before!