Primal diet/lifestyle

Options
Good afternoon,
I am a fan of Mark Sisson and his primal living concept of eating/exercising. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2Ya1QRu2C

Anyone else a fan? Have any advice, etc., for someone just starting out wanted to lose at least 100 pounds?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    There's a reason early man died so early in life.........................................there was no pizza available.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    I am a fan of Mark Sisson and his primal living concept of eating/exercising. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2Ya1QRu2C

Anyone else a fan? Have any advice, etc., for someone just starting out wanted to lose at least 100 pounds?

Yes I am a fan. I think he offers pretty practical advice on nutrition and primal eating that isn't as dogmatic as some hardline paleos.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There's a reason early man died so early in life.........................................there was no pizza available.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

What? Seriously? Would have expected a more thorough response from someone so, ahem, knowledgeable.

OP, I started eating according to Sisson's macros a couple weeks ago, and I'm down a percent in body fat and a pound or so on the scale. I don't have much to lose, so it goes slower for me than I bet it would for you. His stuff is very well researched and unbiased, and it falls in line with the degree I have in science/biology. Best wishes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

hahahaha

OP, you might find better answers and info if you search out and join some of the many paleo groups on MFP. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What? Seriously? Would have expected a more thorough response from someone so, ahem, knowledgeable.

OP, I started eating according to Sisson's macros a couple weeks ago, and I'm down a percent in body fat and a pound or so on the scale. I don't have much to lose, so it goes slower for me than I bet it would for you. His stuff is very well researched and unbiased, and it falls in line with the degree I have in science/biology. Best wishes.
    Saracasm. However I'm not of the camp of "clean" eating to attain health and "lean" statis. I'm in it for the long haul and I do like eating out and not being orthorexic about food choices.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's called humour. It happens.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, but what about appropriate time and placement? More on the side of trolling?

Also in it for the long haul. Also in it for a life without inflammation and long-term side effects of said inflammation on the entire body. In it for not feeling sluggish and lazy after downing pizza and beer. In it for burning 2700 calories yesterday without having to work my tail off. In it for the fact that I'm starting to see my abs and haven't had to spend hours in a gym.

In it for not having to obsess and plan and follow some strict regimen. That's all. In it for the avocados and the walnuts and the eggs and the chicken and the whatever the heck else I wanna eat. In it for the bacon that doesn't have the nitrates that the world's largest cancer research group has warned humans to stop eating entirely based on a systematic review of tens of thousands of pieces of research.

OP- I'm sorry that your thread has gotten slightly off topic. You're looking for tips from like-minded people, not 'wolves' and trolls. Agree with an above poster, better idea to post in a group forum rather than in the general populace if you want to get sincere discussion.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, but what about appropriate time and placement? More on the side of trolling?

Also in it for the long haul. Also in it for a life without inflammation and long-term side effects of said inflammation on the entire body. In it for not feeling sluggish and lazy after downing pizza and beer. In it for burning 2700 calories yesterday without having to work my tail off. In it for the fact that I'm starting to see my abs and haven't had to spend hours in a gym.

In it for not having to obsess and plan and follow some strict regimen. That's all. In it for the avocados and the walnuts and the eggs and the chicken and the whatever the heck else I wanna eat. In it for the bacon that doesn't have the nitrates that the world's largest cancer research group has warned humans to stop eating entirely based on a systematic review of tens of thousands of pieces of research.

OP- I'm sorry that your thread has gotten slightly off topic. You're looking for tips from like-minded people, not 'wolves' and trolls. Agree with an above poster, better idea to post in a group forum rather than in the general populace if you want to get sincere discussion.

The nitrite free bacon has just as much naturally occurring nitrites from the celery salt they use instead of sodium nitrite. Many veggies have significantly more nitrites and/or nitrates.

"When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently."
    http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

I am in it for the eggs, bacon, avocados, grass fed beef, kerrygold butter, full fat yogurt, heavy cream, fresh fruits, and veggies.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Jokes and good-naturedness not welcome in a primal diet/lifestyle thread? Shocker.

Good luck, OP. :flowerforyou:

*leaves*
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I found it funny, some lack a sense of humor:)
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    All joking aside, I just started Paleo (may go primal , we'll see how my neurological stuff does), and I feel REALLY good. I track my food religiously, but not because I am calorie counting. I'm keeping a lookout for triggers (who knew bananas caused migraines)?

I've been really successful with low carb before, but I found myself relying too much on bars and shakes. Lots of soy and chemicals, both of which are no good for ME. The key word there is ME, or, as the case may be, YOU.

I wouldn't have bothered responding, because people get so ornery about their particular decision regarding what they eat. However, you are just starting out, like me. I'm guessing not for the first time, like me. If you find something that appeals to you as a lifestyle change that you can make, even if it is a step at a time (I dove in, because I was hurting so much all the time), then go with it, and find a group on here that also chooses that lifestyle. Ultimately it's not about the quick fix, or what will take the weight off the fastest. It is about making permanent changes you can learn to live with, and if Primal looks good, keep reading, and keep asking questions, preferably within a group that will take the time to answer the question BEFORE they turn on the sarcastic humor.

Kudos to you for starting. Good job!