BMR confusion - or confusion in general

Options
I have been chugging along for about a month and logging my calories based on what MFP gave me for losing 2 pounds per week - which is about 1600 (I have a lot of weight to lose).

But I have been reading these threads and some comments off and on today saying not to go under your BMR in calories. So I calculated my BMR on this site and it gave me the number of 2092, which I feel is significantly more than what I'm getting right now. Do I eat 1600 calories or 2092 calories? Ugh.

I don't really know what my point is with this. I guess just to say that I am horribly confused with all of the different ways to do things.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you have "a lot of weight to lose" then going under your BMR is not as big of a deal. You mainly just want to make sure you are getting really good nutrition with those 1600 calories since it is less than your BMR. Make the most of it for 1600 calories. That means a lot of lean protein, non-starchy vegetables, fruits, and some healthy fats.

Once you start getting within about 50 lbs of your goal weight, start worrying about BMR. As long as you are making progress, feel good, and are significantly overweight, it is no big deal.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    if you have "a lot of weight to lose" then going under your BMR is not as big of a deal. You mainly just want to make sure you are getting really good nutrition with those 1600 calories since it is less than your BMR. Make the most of it for 1600 calories. That means a lot of lean protein, non-starchy vegetables, fruits, and some healthy fats.

Once you start getting within about 50 lbs of your goal weight, start worrying about BMR. As long as you are making progress, feel good, and are significantly overweight, it is no big deal.
    Yep. What he said.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I agree too. Go with the MFP recommendations and follow what they say. They have approximated your BMR and given you a deficit. If you exercise, eat those calories back and that will keep you in a nice safe weight loss zone.
  • shimmer615
    shimmer615 Posts: 55
    Options

Thanks for your response <insert sigh of relief here> :smile: . I do have a lot to lose, over 100 pounds. I do find myself hungry in between meals, but I'm working on that.
  • seaandsun85
    Options
    Question

When I use the BMR tool on MFP it says I use about 1440 calories a day. However, I noticed under the settings and goals tab, that it is saying I use 1800 calories a day. According to that math, if I eat 1200 calories I will have a deficit of 600 calories. However, if the calculator MFP has is right my deficit is only 200 calories which wouldn't even add up to 1lb a week. Does MFP go under 1200 calories? How come it says I need 1800 a day when the calculator on here said 1440?

Thanks!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Question

When I use the BMR tool on MFP it says I use about 1440 calories a day. However, I noticed under the settings and goals tab, that it is saying I use 1800 calories a day. According to that math, if I eat 1200 calories I will have a deficit of 600 calories. However, if the calculator MFP has is right my deficit is only 200 calories which wouldn't even add up to 1lb a week. Does MFP go under 1200 calories? How come it says I need 1800 a day when the calculator on here said 1440?

Thanks!

It sounds like you might be confusing BMR with TDEE.

To answer your other question, no, MFP sets a lower limit of 1200 calories.