Eating "clean" for so long, I can't eat "junk?"

Options
I was eating at my friend's and the had some fatty foods, I guess. I ate a few cheese fries and I felt like I was going to puke. A few days ago, I ate some cookies (like 3) and I felt sick then, too. Is my body just going to reject everything that is deemed "unhealthy" now?

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I totally wish I had that problem. Cheesy fries get me every time. Glad to hear that your body now craves the "good" stuff :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's probably more your mind than your body, if small amounts of food are instantly making you feel sick.

But any significant dietary change can result in digestive issues.
  • JohnPiper2
    JohnPiper2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Amazing !!! That is actually a very good sign your body KNOWS what is good for it. :) We all wish we had that problem but I heard if you eat healthy long enough your system will be able to tell you what is healthy vs junk. :)x
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    It's probably more your mind than your body, if small amounts of food are instantly making you feel sick.

But any significant dietary change can result in digestive issues.
    I mean it's more than a small amount, I guess? I dunno. I think part of it is because of heat, but I dunno, obviously
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I guess essentially, it's a good thing, but it makes me sad because sometimes I WANT to indulge and I can't if I know it will make me feel crumby
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think its a good thing. Its a total motivation to stay away from that food that makes you sick.

This seems to be the effect that people get when having gastric bypass when they eat too much the body makes them sick... so you may be getting that effect without having to go thru the pain and expense of a gastric bypass surgery. in that way this could be a positive thing.

think about all the money you save on not having to buy Oreo cookies, layer cake, pizza, fried chicken, huge cheeseburgers, candy, fudge, fried in oil stuff too.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't like anything it's not used to - it's why habits are so important for any health goal.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    actually, I always experience the same kind of upset stomach if I over-indulge in high fat foods in particular. Also have noticed when I have a craving for salt and vinegar chips, I can only handle the actual portion size recommended and am more than satisfied, if I try 'gorging' on them, well, it just doesn't work. I seem to get fuller much quicker when it comes to the treat foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was eating at my friend's and the had some fatty foods, I guess. I ate a few cheese fries and I felt like I was going to puke. A few days ago, I ate some cookies (like 3) and I felt sick then, too. Is my body just going to reject everything that is deemed "unhealthy" now?
    I know mine does. I can no longer eat anything fried, french fries or anything greasy. I am ok with it though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I know mine does. I can no longer eat anything fried, french fries or anything greasy. I am ok with it though.

ditto here as well...KFC nearly kills me now...seriously and McDonalds no way....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

ditto here as well...KFC nearly kills me now...seriously and McDonalds no way....

haha, last time I had mcdonalds, I felt like I had a 3 day hang over.. it was terrible.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This happened to me not too long ago. Hubby and I treated ourselves to a night out starting at Olive Garden. I hoarded my calories all day so I could splurge. I ordered a very rich pasta dish. Ohhhh it was so yummy and in the past I would have been able to eat the whole thing with no problem whatsoever. Ohhhh boy did I pay for it. Never again.

The price we pay for being healthy.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's possible that the food didn't sit well in your stomach as your system isn't used to the grease and fat anymore. I know a few years ago, after eating fairly healthy for 8 months I went out with a few friends. One cocktail and half a plate of cheese sticks later and I was throwing up in the bathroom. Just couldn't take the overload of fat.

Doesn't mean you can't have that stuff on occasion, but eat small amounts. No need to gorge in one sitting.
  • Lillith23
    Lillith23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    actually, I always experience the same kind of upset stomach if I over-indulge in high fat foods in particular. Also have noticed when I have a craving for salt and vinegar chips, I can only handle the actual portion size recommended and am more than satisfied, if I try 'gorging' on them, well, it just doesn't work. I seem to get fuller much quicker when it comes to the treat foods.

I have the same issues when I eat high fat or sugar foods. Its more pronounced when I havent been eating any junk food for a long time. But not necessarily junk food does this to me. I will sometimes get this with a fatty piece of meat or even over oily sauteed veggies if my body is being particularly sensitive. I would suggest easing into the foods (like instead of cookies in one go, wait a bit for your body to adjust by going one at a time and waiting.) But then again this is not such a bad thing. Lots of people would love to be in your shoes. Or check to see if you have any health conditions that might make you more food sensitive. Now that youve abstained from these types of foods for a while, you might notice a stronger reaction than what used to be (like when I cut out dairy products for a while, my body tends to act lactose sensitive a lot more then when I ate it on a regular basis)