So discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium counts. Your initial loss was probably water weight and your gain is probably water weight.

Stay hydrated and watch your sodium intake.

If I go over 3000 mg, I am sure to gain a pound or five.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would personally experiment a bit, try only eating back only half your exercise calories for a bit maybe?
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @sophie I am watching my calories, or did you not look at my diary. I don't get to sync my fitbit but I log all my food as I eat it. MFP shows that I never go over my calorie goal.

And that is the problem! I checked your diary and most days you don't eat enough. Below goal? That's a MFP myth, that you'll be doing better if you eat under. Just because they mention it on your news feed, it doesn't mean it's good. You're starving your body and it's coming back to hit you straight in the face :) Eat what you are supposed to eat. You're already at a deficit, respect your body. Also, try maybe less processed things. Most of your meals seem to be ready made. Cook a bit? Make it fun :) Best of luck!
  • homegirl614
    homegirl614 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I weighed 351 lbs.. When I first started trying to lose weight, I would weigh myself everyday and would get frustrated because I wasn't losing anything and I knew I was working really hard. I thought about giving up more than once. It's very easy to get discouraged but you have to remember that this is a long journey. There will be some bumps in the road along the way but the key thing is to not give up. I stopped weighing myself daily, because just like you, it would show weight gain and I would want to quit. But I kept working hard and eating right and the way I noticed that I was losing weight is because my clothes started to get baggy. I lost about 50 pounds in the past 8 months and the only reason I know that is because I had a doctor's appt recently and had to check my weight. I know I have a loooong way to go but I know that since I've already lost 50, i can lose 50 more. My advice is to stop weighing yourself so often and just keep working hard. You'll start to see a change, it just takes time. Best of luck to you :)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you need to eat more. Even if there were such a thing as "starvation mode," you look like you are always above 1200. It's hard to lose weight eating at restaurants a lot. Once in awhile is fine, but nearly every day makes it hard, unless you do subway or a salad bar and are careful of the dressing.

I only looked at a few days of your diary, but I didn't see many fresh fruits or vegetables. I try to eat some of them every day, even though they aren't my favorite, just because they help fill me up, and also they don't have sodium....which will make you gain water weight.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: I read your post and everyone's comments but no one has suggested to you that since breakfast is rushed
    Why not have a protein shake? Approx. 25 grams of protein per shake.
    Do not try Slimfast. There isn't enough protein in them.
    Fitness shops sell some great one's.
    Ask them to dirrect you to what would work for your body type. This way you are getting your protein, nutrients and calories-and you can drink it in the car.
    I hope this helps.
    Good Luck!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd say the most important piece of advice i have is ALWAYS EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. I know this sounds silly, and it took me a long long time to listen to folks but you need to have a NET OF AT LEAST 1200 CALORIES or your metabolism drops like crazy.

That means that if you eat 1,440 calories but burned an extra 300, you were below 1200 NET (1440 - 300 = 1140)

It seems you're usually right over the 1200 mark but maybe you're over counting your calories?

I just know there have been times when I was super close to my 1200 every day and didn't loose anything - i added another 100-200 calories a day and I was golden.

Also, I swear by water.

but don't get discouraged! i'm sure you'll get there!
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the poster who suggested the calorie counts might not be right. I see things all the time in diaries where you just 'know' intuitively that it's a vast under-estimation, and although I'm sure it's not deliberate you still end up only cheating yourself! Definitely cut out the processed food, and eat more veggies (I'm not sold on the fruit because of the high sugar count, but fruit does obviously have other benefits).

Also, and PLEASE don't take this as an attack, reading through the first page of this thread, your responses to the suggestions were all along the lines of "yes, but". None of us are experts, and making excuses for why things have been difficult has brought us here in the first place. So be open to the advice and keep up the good work :)
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don’t be discouraged changing unhealthy eating habits can be difficult and is a work in progress. I encourage you to try new exercises; aquatic aerobics burns lots of calories, a fitness class and bike riding. If you use work out DVD’s mix them up if you have difficult workouts also have easier ones. I use walk away the pounds 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 miles walk it’s my go to video. If I am tired I can push through and does a 3-4 mile walk.
    If you have any stresses find a positive outlet for them; if you can build a support system to help you in this journey. Love yourself today in the body you’re in today stay in the fight. Remember you’re a worthwhile person whether you a size 6 or size 36 don’t let your size define you. Weight loss should be about getting healthy and feeling better. Good Luck……
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    You need to make better food choices. Period. Eating fried chicken 3-4 times per week might have something to do with it. Incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies into your diet. Also, are you measuring/weighing your food at Golden Corral? How do you know exactly how much you are eating at a buffet?
  • echelonokie
    Options
    I'm not really sure that I will get a reply to everyone that replied, but I'll try here. I'm not really sure how to make it show I've replied to a specific person.

@Anniegail - I have to be VERY careful with those. I have a milk allergy and most are made with milk and if I do soy, well...too many of them and they screw with my system. I tried this plant-based one from Whole Foods and OMG it was disgusting! Couldn't get the grainy out of it. Any suggestions on non-dairy ones that are good would be great help!

As far as the eating out goes, my son sees doctors and therapists in another town that's about 45 minutes from us. So there are definitely days when it's either eat out or don't eat at all. We go to the buffet because my son actually NEEDS to eat more food (go figure lol). And I make sure to watch the amounts and sizes of the chicken breast I eat.

It's all VERY VERY confusing. "Don't eat back your burned calories", "Eat them back, but only eat half of them back", "Eat all of your burned calories back, you're already at a deficit". If I'm already under my calorie goal at the end of the day and I work out, I'm going to be even MORE under it! I honestly, on most days, can't eat what it's saying I need to eat when I exercise.

Everyone says drink more water. lol I think I'll float away. The only thing I drink usually, if I don't drink water, is unsweeted iced tea.

I do need to add more veggies and fruits and that's something I'm working on, but man it's hard. hehe
  • echelonokie
    Options
    Okay, to those who mentioned the sodium. I went back and activated "sodium" in the diary tracker and HOLY COW! I didn't realize that I was getting THAT much. I don't salt anything ever, so getting that much sodium per day completely blew me away. That is definitely something I will be watching more closely!
  • pattypraises
    pattypraises Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding watermelon and cantaloupe to your meals? I think they are sort of secret weapons. You can eat a lot and get real full for very few calories, but lots of fiber and vitamins! Maybe also try drinking lots of water. I need to be better at the water myself. But it's easy does it, one day at the time for all of us who struggle. Don't get discouraged! Just decide that you are glad to be eating more healthy foods and being more active. Those are great changes!!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Okay, to those who mentioned the sodium. I went back and activated "sodium" in the diary tracker and HOLY COW! I didn't realize that I was getting THAT much. I don't salt anything ever, so getting that much sodium per day completely blew me away. That is definitely something I will be watching more closely!

LOL! It's eye opening isn't it?!? I'm sure if you watch that for a couple of days and drink lots of water, you'll see those Lbs disappear pronto!
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to watch sugar intake because I'm diabetic. In order to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my 'diet' (i hate that word) I researched filling fruits with low sugar content. Answer? Berries. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc. For example, a medium strawberry has only 4 calories. A favorite snack is low fat greek yogurt with those three berries I mix in (real berries, not the fruit-in-bottom types of yogurts). Tastes so yummy and very good for me but low calorie. If I need to add calories I use Honey flavor greek yogurt instead of plain with a no calorie sweetner. This little snack fills me up, the yogurt = protein, and I get great benefits from the fruit i.e. antioxidents from the blueberries. With your milk allergy I don't know if this combo will work for you, but at the very least, you can eat small handfulls of these fruits. Keep some in baggies in the fridge and then when you have to go out, you'll have a great snack to take with you that both you and your son can enjoy that will be much healthier.

I also ate fried chicken a lot at buffets and there are better items in a buffet. You just have to eat them. Baked chicken is a start. Fish is great for you, etc.

I also agree with tossing your scale. (personal scale, not food scale as someone else mentioned). It is much easier on the mind if you don't focus on lbs but focus on how you feel and how your clothes fit. Add in some strength training (you can do this with just your body weight) and you'll feel better.

For the confusion on whether or not to eat back your exercise calories, it depends on what method you use. There's tons of links in here already on what the differences are between the MFP method (eating back your calories) and the TDEE method (calculating calories based on activity lvl and then eating that amount of calories every day regardless of whether or not you work out). It took me a long time to wrap my head around 'eat more to lose' too. It works though. Think of it this way, the more you burn the more fuel you need.

Good luck on your journey and don't get discouraged by the scale. It really isn't anyone's friend. Mostly it's just an evil minion playing mindgames with you to sabotage your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am not one of the "eat more" people either. Looking at a few pages of your diary would indicate you eat out a lot. Personally, I found the only way I can lose weight is to cook from scratch as much as possible. I work 2 jobs and have only 1 day off a week so I know how hard it is to find time to cook but I just do not trust restaurant and packaged food calories to be all that accurate. I do confess that I don't really exercise much (I can legitimately say I have little time for that) but I have been losing 1-1/2 to 2 pounds a week on 1400-1500 calories a day.