Watermelon/Canteloupe.. fruits in general!

Options
Ok I need some help!! It is summer time and I am in love with all kinds of melons... espeically Watermelon. I know that watermelon is high in sugar but I eat soo much of it because summertime is the only time i really get to eat it! When it's warm out I don't eat too much hot food but a lot of fruit and cool meals. Will this make me gain a ****load of weight! I love my fruit!!

TIA!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much watermelon.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Fruit is awesome. Eat it.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits in your calorie goal! go for it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome. Eat it.
    Yup! Another fun thing in the Summer time is toss in some washed green grapes in the freezer... yummy!

I'm really into grapes lately, not long ago it was melon and berries are always at the top of my list.

YEA for fruit!:love:
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Watermelon has a ton of potassium. Potassium is very necessary to health and most people have a potassium deficiency.

Eat and drink your watermelon (watermelon agua fresca is soooo good) and enjoy!
  • Morgan_Mack
    Morgan_Mack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No just make sure to count the calories you are consuming!! Also, watermelon has a ton of water in it so it will help keep you hydrated :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough fruit to go over maintenance calories, then yes you will gain weight. If you don't, then of course you won't gai weight. Why does everyone try to make this so complicated?
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Melons are so low in calories.. but definitely count them still because nothing is free. Most of us don't worry about the sugar in fruit.
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love melons anytime of the year
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    i eat them everyday. I absolutely love watermelon, and cantelope.
  • pheona76
    pheona76 Posts: 37
    Options
    I love melons! I say enjoy 'em.
  • lana_313
    lana_313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel you on that fruit thing. I have the same problem going into the summer. But to be completely honest with you, yes this can pose an issue. The problem is that sugar turns to fat! Once your liver and muscles have taken in as much as they can hold, the rest of the sugar floats around in your blood stream until your body recognizes it as excess. After that, your body releases insulin and the insulin then starts to help your body convert that sugar into fat and store it in all the places we hate lol. Now, exercise will deplete the sugar in the muscles, thereby reducing the amount of sugar in the blood so that will help. I'm not telling you not to eat all that yummy fruit, but it may be helpful to do some cardio burning to get rid of some of the sugar. Either way, eating fruit is better than eating food that contains fat, at least your body has to do some work to convert the sugar to fat...believe or not, that process burns a few calories too lol. Enjoy your summer! :smile:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Hi, I feel you on that fruit thing. I have the same problem going into the summer. But to be completely honest with you, yes this can pose an issue. The problem is that sugar turns to fat! Once your liver and muscles have taken in as much as they can hold, the rest of the sugar floats around in your blood stream until your body recognizes it as excess. After that, your body releases insulin and the insulin then starts to help your body convert that sugar into fat and store it in all the places we hate lol. Now, exercise will deplete the sugar in the muscles, thereby reducing the amount of sugar in the blood so that will help. I'm not telling you not to eat all that yummy fruit, but it may be helpful to do some cardio burning to get rid of some of the sugar. Either way, eating fruit is better than eating food that contains fat, at least your body has to do some work to convert the sugar to fat...believe or not, that process burns a few calories too lol. Enjoy your summer! :smile:

No.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Insulin is released immediately upon eating a meal with carbs Sugar is managed first and foremost as ATP (immediate energy) with our brain using upwards of 70% of all glucose produced, then to muscle and liver and then any excess gets stored as triglycerides. Then when our blood sugar gets to low between meals another hormone, glucagon releases glucose from glycogen stores, which is the liver only, muscle glycogen is never used and the additional release of fatty acids from triglcyerides and gluconeogenesis, the conversion of AA's into glucose. This happens on a continual basis and if by the end of the day you have consumed more energy than you need, then and only then is sugar converted to fat, and actually it's the calories that are converted from all sources.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I actually eat watermelon a lot in summer to stay hydrated. I do not drink enough water so watermelon helps with hydration! Plus if you have horses, goats, pigs, or sheep they totally love watermelon rind as a treat!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fruit, sugar, carbs, etc do NOT make you fat. Eating a calorie surplus (above your maintenance) is what makes you gain.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has plenty of vitamin C and cantaloupe is loaded with vitamin A. There is nothing wrong with fruit and simply ignore the sugar content. Fit within your calorie goals, they're both good choices.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Ok I need some help!! It is summer time and I am in love with all kinds of melons... espeically Watermelon. I know that watermelon is high in sugar but I eat soo much of it because summertime is the only time i really get to eat it! When it's warm out I don't eat too much hot food but a lot of fruit and cool meals. Will this make me gain a ****load of weight! I love my fruit!!

TIA!

No watermelon is awesome and a great diuretic, it will probably help you lose some water weight. Enjoy

http://www.watermelon.org/HealthProfessionals/HealthProfessionals.aspx
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If I ever have to limit fruit to be healthy I'm out!