PCOS

Options
I have PCOS I am tired of failed diet after failed diet. If you want to support and help motivate and encourage me that would be amazing.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

I too have PCOS. I am also overweight I haven't had a cycle in almost a year due to this disorder and extreme insulin resistance. I'm happy to say it's finally happened this past week and I think it's due to my diet. What diets have you tried so far? Most of us with PCOS do well to watch carbohydrate intake.
  • WasabiBeans
    Options
    I've also got PCOS, and I was flagged as insulin resistant.

After hiking 5-10 km a day, eating a vegetarian, nearly gluten free diet, and doing a lot of other physical activities like cycling and swimming for 4 months, I had lost 0 lbs. I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either.

When I spoke to my doctor about this, she suggested I try metformin, which is a drug often given to prediabetics and diabetics to help stabilize insulin and regulate your blood sugar.

Since going on the drug, I've started to lose weight very, very slowly. But hey, its an improvement over not losing anything!
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    I have PCOS, and have been successful in losing weight and getting control of my cycles for the most part. I'd like to lose more weight, but I'm normal weight now by BMI and have stayed that way for 4 years. Feel free to add me as a friend, and I can chat w/ you about what has helped me. I DEFINITELY think that controlling my carbs is a big help. I don't have to go SUPER low, but I go waaaay below the MPF's recommendations in order to keep my blood sugar regulated. There are certain foods that I avoid altogether, like rice, barley, wheat bread, and potatoes. When I DO have more carbs, I pay close attention to the glycemic index and glycemic load of the foods that I am eating. I've also taken supplements that helped some. Exercise is critical, much as I hate that aspect of things! HAHA I am working on incorporating more exercise into my life to hopefully take off my last extra pounds and build some muscle.
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add -- I put on weight as a vegetarian. It definitely did not agree w/ me. I do much better controlling weight and blood sugar when I incorporate meat into my diet. I wish that this wasn't the case, as I really enjoyed my year as a vegetarian.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    PCOS here. Feel free to add. Although my diet is NOT the best, it is ALOT BETTER than it was a year or so ago.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Had Pcos a long time .. but so far losing weight
    is working .. you can add me. :)
  • ARO91
    ARO91 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also I am on metformin and birth control i am changing my diet and so far its working i hope to get this weight off
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    PCOS is a terrible thing. I've had good luck with portion control.
  • chitownsweetie2
    chitownsweetie2 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am on Metformin. For me to lose weight i must lower my carb intake and workout for 60 mins and do heavy weight lifting. If I workout for 60-90 mins and do heavy weight lifting without lowering my carbs, and just stay under my calories, I will lose a little here and there, but it doesnt match my workout effort. Its strange...but I've finally committed to a lifestyle change to low carbs. I love working out, I just want the time I spend in the gym to pay off at the scale.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I have found high protein more fruit and veggies and 8 cups of water a day is helping me. My doctor clearly explained things get better with this situation with proper diet and exercise. Combination of diet and exercise is working for me slowly but surely. Be positive. Do not ever give up. Slow and steady wins this race. I have lost 16 pounds in 16 weeks. For weeks I stayed the same. 3 weeks same another 2 weeks same then boom a small loss........this is not a race.....this is about changing your lifestyle if you want it bad enough

I tried every diet known to mankind.....yes they fail. We fail. We give up. It will not fail if you don't give up this time around. Im for real this time ain't nothing stopping me now. PCOS OR NO PCOS you can lose the weight if you are determined. Id love to support you on your journey. DON'T LET ANYONE, ANYTHING, PCOS, OR ANY OTHER CONDITION stop you from trying this one more time and succeeding. Put yourself first everyday. Make time for you. Dream more. Care more. believe in you more.
    You can do this. if I can do this you can do this too.

Yes I agree we have lots of things we deal with having PCOS. It gets better with time. I let it rule my life for years. I don't let it control me anymore.You can do this.

I agree that