At goal weight. How long to count calories.

Options
So, I've pretty much met my goal weight by counting calories and keeping a few bad habits in check. Right now, I'm eating about 1700 calories a day, which is what the online TDEE calculators estimate as maintenance for my height, weight and activity level. This has been a good amount for me most days.

For those of you at your goal weight, how long did you continue to log your calories? I'm hoping that I have enough grasp on my food intake to not have to log all the time anymore.

Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Replies

• JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm at a similar stage.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No replies yet?

Bump!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am someone who will always have to count calories. Many years ago, I lost weight doing weight watchers, stopped counting points and gained a lot of it back. I am within a few pounds of my goal weight and don't plan to stop logging once I get there. I will always have to log what I eat. Everyone is different, so you might just have to play around and see what works for you. Congrats on being at goal!!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I reached my goal weight on MFP. I thought I didn't need to log anymore lol... yeah turns out I did, I gained 70% of the weight back. It took 2 years, but it's a slippery slope. I've learned I'm not one of those people who can handle not keeping an eye on my calories, just like I need to budget money.

It only takes me a few mins a day to log, it's totally worth avoiding the heartbreak of not having my pants fit.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! Always good to see what's going in to maintain or improve on all your hard work..
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have been at my goal weight for a year now, and I have no plans to stop counting anytime soon. there are days that I am very relaxed and don't count (like this past holiday weekend). I found myself eating anything and everything. I need to see the numbers to keep me in check. Why stop if it is working?
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good Question. Bump for Later ! ;)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im not at goal yet but I think il always count and keep active. I cant wait to workout every day and sometimes 2/3 times a day in 20-30min chunks. I like logging cals to see if Im making a good choice but for holidays and birthdays/special occasions I dont log and never do much damage. You might get used to judging good quality foods with low calories and not need to be so strict but its always good to have a rough number to work with even at maintenance
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Loss Register has been tracking maintainers for many years. The 2 things that keep on track is to continue to journal all food and to exercise at least 6 days a week.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I decided I'm going to continue logging most days, but my main focus will be starting a better exercise routine.
    I only work out here and there (and I'm doing a squat challenge this month). I honestly haven't found an exercise besides yoga that I really like, and I can only do yoga in the evening after I put the kids to bed (otherwise the bug me...lol)
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! Always good to see what's going in to maintain or improve on all your hard work..

This! I'm not there yet, but I plan to continue for a good while. Keeps me feeling accountable and on track! Although even now there are days when I am more relaxed, but if you're feeling good, don't get too uptight about it!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight 8 months ago.

As soon as I stop logging for a week then I put on a 1lb or 2lbs even though I think I am eating at my maintenance cals.

It is so easy to pop some food in your mouth with out thinking.

Even if you don`t log everyday, my advice is to try to log your diary every few days and be honest. Better still, just log it everyday :tongue:
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    The National Weight Loss Register has been tracking maintainers for many years. The 2 things that keep on track is to continue to journal all food and to exercise at least 6 days a week.

First off, congratulations on reaching and maintaining your goal! I have been at my goal weight for a few months and continue to log my food and exercise, MFP has been a wonderful tool.

To the post I have quoted, I do not and will not work out "at least" 6 days a week . It is ridiculous to quote such nonsense, IMO.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm less than 20lbs from my goal weight, but I think I'll keep logging to keep myself accountable
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. I've been maintaining for 7 months, and I don't see myself stopping counting any time soon. It's not just about knowing how much I should be eating, but for me, it's also about holding myself accountable.

I think it also depends to some extent on your past eating habits / relationship with food. If you're someone that has maintained a healthy weight for years, "intuitively" eating just what your body needs, then you probably have a better chance of going it alone. If you have a lifetime of being overweight, or yo-yoing, then you'll probably find it harder. I don't have years of good eating habits to fall back on, and I still need the guidance of a calorie goal and macronutrient goals.

Also think about what kinds of foods you eat. If you pretty much eat the same things on a daily, or weekly basis, that will be easier. If you have a lot of variety, that will be more difficult.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Loss Register has provided some interesting information, but it's descriptive, not prescriptive. They're not rules we have to live by if we have any chance of maintaining weight loss. Some people can maintain weight loss without journalling/tracking, a lot of people can't. I believe they also found that most people ate breakfast every day. Again, that doesn't mean you have to eat breakfast in order to keep the weight off. I rarely eat breakfast, and that suits me fine.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Reached mine oct last year and lost 2 more since without logging ( was 4 but there was a month of cake)
    I still weigh in twice a week and if my weight goes up past my goal i start logging again.

Simples:drinker:
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My backward slides start when I stop logging. Then I stop weighing. Then a year or two passes and I have to start all over again. I will always have to log, tedious as it is.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I have never logged. I do it all in my head. I eat 1700 a day and am losing half a pound every ten days or so. I am very close now to goal weight, having been dieting for just over a year. I find I know all the values so well I can just keep a running tally in my head. Occasionally I have to write down everything I put in a recipe. I use MFP for the Community and to record my losses.
    I did find that when I stopped totting up in my head a couple of years ago that is when I put on masses so I will always have to keep things mentally in check. I too am a bit nervous of maintenance. It seems easier to keep doing what I'm doing now as I am so used to it, but eventually I will have to up my calories a bit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to keep logging.